Search results

1. W

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

Hmm... adjustable meter "speed" I've never used analog VU meter, was born in the digital age so the digital meters have peak hold and etc features. So here's a question out of curiosity - Is there a "standard" for the "speed" of these meters?
  2. W

Do inexpensive amplifiers age badly over years?

Have you seen what brand capacitors some Hypex amps use?
  3. W

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

-0.3dB with a Q of 2 lol... That seems oddly specific and I'm pretty sure REW wouldn't have cared Maybe a quest for perfection resulted in that?
  4. W

Audibility of Equalizer Ringing

As in, peak boosts are bad, peak attenuations are good. Nothing to do with clipping. And there's a simple reason for that really. With any EQ you do (Assuming IIR i.e. the "normal" EQ; we put FIR filters aside for now), any shift in amplitude must come with a corresponding shift in phase. It's...
  5. W

Audeze Mobius Review (Gaming Headset)

Is it old tho? I've had Sennheiser with foam and leather (or leather with sponge inside thingy) that completely disintegrated while still inside the unopened box.
  6. W

Can you hear a 1kHz sine wave distortion of 0.85% from tube preamplifier

It explains why if given everyone has the same ability to hear, around less than half of people will not hear it based on pure luck of their speaker positioning alone when the harmonic's level drops below a certain point, which is exactly what we are seeing in the poll results, that's what...
  7. W

Ok so in the end I found a location where the difference is very obvious, it is as fast as playing two files that are different, didn't even need to listen to the other tracks in each trial. The fundamental does not need to completely cancel; the 2nd harmonic will peak at a position where the...
  8. W

If it is due to second harmonic being audible, could we adjust our room such that 2nd harmonic is peaking while fundamental is cancelling? Sidenote: In doing so I found a position where the sound almost fully cancels out but the initial wavefront doesn't get cancelled so it goes loud then soft...
  9. W

Hmm while doing the ABX I feel the 1kHz tone produces a white noise inside my ear instead
  10. W

DIY Cinder Block Speaker

Does this count as in-wall speakers?
  11. W

Quieting down SMPS fan noise

I generally advice against changing the fan of the power supply (Have heard people talking about since the Pentium4 days). Firstly you will pretty much void the PSU's warranty by opening it up. Secondly you can't guarantee the new fan will be able to safely cool the PSU under stress or fault...
  12. W

Puritan Audio PSM156 Review (AC Filter)

We need to find a bad situation which gets fixed by these products then. I use a line filter to block the AC fan noise from reaching my mains so my powerline network can get faster speeds. What next? Going back to the seatbelt analogy, we know how to recreate situations where the seatbelt is...
  13. W

Good speakers with tiny subwoofers, and why that's backwards.

Apparently this is also a problem with mixer software. Proof: Audacity, generate sine tone at 0.1 amplitude (-20dB), check with amplify tool to make sure it is -20dB. Generate the identical sine in another track. Downmix or export and reopen again. Check new file with amplify tool. Result...
  14. W

What about 2.1 speakers where <150Hz are usually XO-ed and simplistically summed? That happens often. Mmm... I have 2.0 capable of 40Hz in-room. I also have a standalone stereo sub capable of 40Hz in-room. I have a 2.1 (edited because I discovered I am lazy). And I have a UMIK1. Let's do this.
  15. W

Interesting. I am being conflicted by two different methods of calculation. However one of the method which appears more correct gives me the gut feeling that it has to be wrong somewhere. And that would be the amplitude one. Because 6 speakers = 6x the amplitude = 36x / 36 units of power. Yet...
  16. W

Chane A1.5 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

It's a pity we can't just apply a shelf filter to shift up the directivity... Or can we...? Or maybe I should think about it the other way, is there a way to gimp the directivity of the woofer. Like smother it with a pillow or something.
  17. W

Correct. You have +10dB base from the LFE channel. Which is equivalent to 10 surround speakers. You need to add 90 more surround speakers to reach +20dB. 10x base for the sub + 10 surround speakers worth = 20x = +13dB. Point is, whatever is causing your sub to compress, is clearly not due to...
  18. W

+3dB is two times the power +10dB is 10 times the power +20dB is 100 times the power How many speakers would you need to redirect to hit +20dB
  19. W

Revel W990 Review (in-wall speaker)

It just means more current is drawn at that frequency. And a 10% difference is inconsequential.
Top Bottom