Search results

1. ahofer

The wealth-building thread

This is still a risk worth emphasizing when you think about how portfolio gains arrive over time. Your investments on which you've sold covered calls will be called away when they go on a tear (as one's winners generally do...). You can leave a fair amount of portfolio gains on the table that...
  2. ahofer

Allo Boss2 review: superb budget audio streamer (video)

I have never heard the Boss2, sorry
  3. ahofer

ABX Blind Test and Level Matching

I'd say start with white noise and a db meter first to determine a volume adjustment setting between the amps and just do an A/B test. It wouldn't nearly pass strict scientific scrutiny, but in my experience it was enough to be a revelation of what I could and couldn't hear. If you hear the...
  4. ahofer

Tube Amp with the "Good Kind of Distortion"

While not using tubes, I'd say Nelson Pass has devoted his career to designing amps with certain, apparently desirable, distortion profiles.
  5. ahofer

Interesting choice of towns, that's where my son just bought a house (in the pandemic) with his new bride. Lovely place.
  6. ahofer

I just ran that Fund's performance on Bloomberg - the vast majority of its outperformance came in the last two years. This goes to *persistence* of outperformance, something academics repeatedly find doesn't exist in equities. Compressed outperformance can be a warning. Here's a good place to...
  7. ahofer

sorry, that is just incorrect, it is entirely possible randomly. And, again, wrong benchmark
  8. ahofer

The form of evidence is that the vast majority of active large-cap equity funds underperform their respective indexes (note that you are comparing products with different opportunity sets in your post). Outperformers are actually fewer, interestingly, than might occur randomly, but make more...
  9. ahofer

I agree. I'm just stating the claim more strictly. Did I imply otherwise?
  10. ahofer

They say speaker cables do not matter ..

There are a LOT of snake oil merchants in this business. I would not put Nelson Pass in that group. He does sell *intentionally colored* amp designs, but he is transparent about engineering for that result. He also made some obtainable and solid amp designs for Adcom*, so good on him. Some...
  11. ahofer

been there, done that. You have my sympathies.
  12. ahofer

I'm afraid there isn't enough evidence for this across managers, he's an outlier. I dearly wish durable alpha were more possible in large cap stocks, but there just isn't good evidence (the type, for instance, we would accept in a blind test) that they can.
  13. ahofer

I have done speaker cable blind tests. I just had my son re-wire the system and not tell me which cable he ran. Much easier than other electronics since level-matching is not an issue. I suppose I could also have invested in a switching box, and having rapid switching might have improved my...
  14. ahofer

DSD is better than PCM!

Another avuncular craptacular.
  15. ahofer

Audio Reviewer Becomes Distressed When his Blind Test Fails to Show Expensive USB Cable is the Best

OMG, that's just awful. It's like someone getting punched in the face three times and still claiming he's not being abused. Also, who, exactly, "doesn't believe in cables"? I've got a bunch lying around here that seem real enough. It's more the obvious test evidence that seems hard for some...
  16. ahofer

There's a pattern to these threads: Newcomer: I hear a difference between these amps/DACs/cables ASR: We doubt that. Do it blind!! Newcomer: It's clear as day, I can definitely hear it ASR: Go for it Newcomer: You guys are so touchy ASR: OK, here's a corner case where you could hear a...
  17. ahofer

Stipulating that you have an amp with weird output characteristics: Interaction with load (which typically varies with frequency) will determine frequency response abnormalities. You could predict what it sounded like only by simulating the combination with specific load behaviors (speakers...
  18. ahofer

I encourage you to perform such a test, and do so properly, with documentation and witnesses. It would be unprecedented, thus *very* interesting, scientifically. This is a science-driven site, and we have all seen - even perpetrated ourselves - anecdotes of this sort. They just haven't held...
  19. ahofer

Snake Oil Department, Top This

my bad. forgot it was "teleportation".
  20. ahofer

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Many here have told me that Geoff Kait is absolutely sincere. When you look at the amount of time he puts in to perpetuating his nonsense at Audiogon and other sites, he seems to have more persistence than an satirist could. It seems he took down the “improve your system with a phone call from...
Top Bottom