Search results

1. Robin L

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

I think Jack White did, but I don't think he was intending to make an audio demo record, more like a deliberately lo-fi sound.
  2. Robin L

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

Kenneth Wilkinson, head engineer at Decca records during the fifties and sixties, noted that the best reproduction he heard was an FFRR 78 he made when Decca used new tech to expand frequency range in recordings. Makes sense to me, as the dynamic potential of a 78 is greater than that of LPs...
  3. Robin L

Best hifi you have or have had?

Seeing as you're a nice chap and all . . . This whole "High Fidelity" phase has been going on as long as I can recall [a toddler listening to Nat King Cole singing "Unforgettable" on the record player, the smell of tubes, transformers and caps outgassing . . .] and to attempt to point out the...
  4. Robin L

Best hifi you have or have had?

Getting a couple of nice sounding acoustic guitars [Martin DRS2, and an old Washburn 12-string] made it possible to stop worrying about the sound quality of my stereo.
  5. Robin L

Accurate and boring or colored and fun

Started? Hash oil, Renaissance Faire, 1972.
  6. Robin L

. . . your signal is pre-distorted by the filters in your ear. And you'll have distortion created in your ear because of the high spls anyway.
  7. Robin L

You can quote me. The concept is not "neutral" in the sense of washing out the dynamics or tone color. The idea is that the gear gets out of the way of the music. Rock concerts, with their pre-distorted sound, are no kind of benchmark. A crap sound played through equipment that gets out of the...
  8. Robin L

My experience might not jibe with somebody else's [remember that the hearing mechanism is also a transducer, also distorts, is different from person to person, sometimes radically so], but the most noticeable coloration of [successful] tube gear compared to solid state is a sense of the presence...
  9. Robin L

Because there isn't a market for those kinds of microphones. There's inertia built into any enterprise that requires major funding. I have long fantasized of microphones akin to the plasma speakers that never quite made it to market. A microphone without a diaphragm, one with much less physical...
  10. Robin L

Not true: a lo-fi recording is still lo-fi. Some are intentionally low fidelity, historical materials usually can't help it. But the microphones used, their placement, the acoustic of the room the music is recorded in---all of these are factors in the fidelity of the recording. It's Xeno's...
  11. Robin L

I've done a lot of recording of classical music. Microphones are the same as speakers, only in reverse. Instead of being driven by electricity to move the voice coil, the voice coil is driven by sound to create electricity. Not exactly like that [most classical music involves condenser...
  12. Robin L

I gather that you have made recordings of classical music?
  13. Robin L

Got bored with [in this order, more or less] the Fisher 500C, Dyna 70/PAS 3, Marantz 8b power, Audible Illusions pre. Ampex MX 10 was way too much trouble, as were Schoeps tubed microphones. I had a "starved tube" hybrid microphone preamp that had some useful limiting and rounding off of the...
  14. Robin L

Either you're listening to the music or you're listening to the gear. If you're in pro audio, you have to learn how to listen to gear. Otherwise, it's turtles all the way down. If you want your music lean an' nasty or fat and syrupy, that's your business. If you're eq-ing for somebody else, it's...
  15. Robin L

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

It is so strange to see someone this old who we all remember as a young man. I suspect the documentary glides over the many medical issues that Gordon Lightfoot has suffered through in the fifty years I have been aware of him. I streamed a lot of his material I didn't manage to get to through...
  16. Robin L

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

If you look at High Fidelity/Stereo Review around 1970, you will find lots of promotion of 4-channel surround. And don't forget Dynaco's quasi-surround, 4 speakers, center channel, back [summed out of phase] channel. It only required a routing box and two more speakers. The reason surround...
  17. Robin L

Snake Oil Department, Top This

You can tell how technologically advanced these dweebs are simply by looking at this page layout. It looks like something made for a dial-up modem: http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm
  18. Robin L

Technomad Noho C---anyone have hands on experience with these?

My stepson performs music locally, playing keyboard-based dance music requiring a PA. He just acquired the Technomad Noho C set of speakers, definitely intended to play loud and apparently very efficient. The specs I can find indicate 96 db out with 1 watt, maximum output of 118db, that with 400...
  19. Robin L

What is this? No golden ears!

I'm sorry, what was that you just said?
  20. Robin L

What is this? No golden ears!

I got a Sony Blu-Ray player from a thrift store with coax digital audio out for $6. Ordered a replacement remote for just a little more online. . Hooked up to my Topping E/L 30 combo, sounds the same as my USB from the computer. Amazing how cheap good soud is these days.
Top Bottom