Search results

1. Xulonn

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Spoken like a person who really understands the nuances of coffee. Yet, even here in coffee country, many expats still drink dark roast diluted with milk. I prefer medium and lighter, brewed a bit strong, using an Aeropress with water on the cooler side of the recommended range, and a bit...
  2. Xulonn

Although "single estate" coffees - without mentioning which cafe finca (coffee farm) - are occasionally available from specialty coffee dealers in the U.S.A., Canada and Europe, the best way to experience real Boquete coffee is to buy some Panama Joe Coffee. The business is owned and run by my...
  3. Xulonn

In 2012, I moved from wine country to coffee country - from Sebastopol, Sonoma County, California to Boquete, Chiriqui Province, Panama. Boquete is an old town in a valley on the slopes of Volcan Baru near the border of Costa Rica, another coffee growing region. No el cheapo (good for grocery...
  4. Xulonn

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

Matt, have you read the blog (LINK) of John Gabriel Ötvös, the man behind the Waveform speakers? This man's journey into and out of the world of high-end speakers is fascinating. He was a fanatic for perfection, and his time in the industry up to his exit in 2001 took a toll on him and his...
  5. Xulonn

That was certainly my experience in the late 1970's with a pair of custom speaker cabinets and the JBL S8 system with it's horn midrange and "ring radiator" tweeter. Great rock speaker, but way too shouty for most other genres, especially classical. My 55wpc Mcintosh Mac1900 receiver was...
  6. Xulonn

I had a similar experience at a HiFi high-end salon in Sausalito, California in the 1990's, listening to a pair of Wavelength Cardinal 300B SET amps driving a pair of 109dB sensitive Avantgarde Trio horn speakers. Except that I perceived the size as a 15 foot tall girl with guitar. That...
  7. Xulonn

Audio-gd Master 7 Singularity Review (DAC)

Those priorities apparently include exposing snake oil and overpriced junk audio components, and not just finding truly excellent ones.:cool:
  8. Xulonn

Audio-gd Master 7 Singularity Review (DAC)

Me too. Is the AS-1 a "modern" DAC? (Might be - it uses "Two ESS Sabre ES9028Pro Chips in Mono mode, Managed by an FPGA" and even has countersunk flat-head screws to attach the top rather than "old-fashioned" protruding round-head screws that the Singularity model uses (which ASR member...
  9. Xulonn

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

Warren seems to agree with Amir - he says "there's a huge difference in the vocals".
  10. Xulonn

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

These remind me of Olaf, the snowman from "Frozen", the kids movie from Disney...
  11. Xulonn

Love the YouTube channel, but many clueless and low-value comments there.

Reading the comments at the YouTube version of the Dan Clark Stealth review, I noticed that, as is typical on YouTube, there were some very lame comments and a fair amount of whining about the cost of these superb limited edition headphones. While reading the comments, I realized how much I...
  12. Xulonn

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

It is rare in audio for a very expensive component to actually be the very best in its category. Congrats, Dan Clark!
  13. Xulonn

Impact of AC Distortion & Noise on Audio Equipment

I have a pair of human ears connected to a human brain. I can hear differences in sound quality at different times of the day. I've always attributed it to noise in my imperfect nervous system - which is a big mess of bioelectric circuits.
  14. Xulonn

Impact of AC Distortion & Noise on Audio Equipment

No layering problems with music, but my carrot cake layers are 90 degrees out of phase... o_O
  15. Xulonn

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

I appreciate the snark/humor, but a lot of visitors to ASR seem to not grasp the difference between "liking" or disliking" something about their audio system - be it real or human brain anomaly induced - and claiming to hear differences that do not actually exist. Many seem oblivious to the...
  16. Xulonn

What is the BEST amp below $200? and $150

Since most modern Hi-Fi amplifiers should sound the same when used within their performance limits, I am curious about your basis for making an audiophile-type claim of a "huge improvement"? Were you driving the Fosi amplifier into distortion with loud music and hard-to-drive loudspeakers? Did...
  17. Xulonn

EquiTech 1.5RQ Balanced Power Review

Well and concisely stated! As a pro, you need to consider that there are many, many visitors and members here at ASR with low levels of techno-knowledge. Many of them blather on without doing any research - or often not reading the whole thread - before they ask questions that have already...
  18. Xulonn

This has already discussed in this thread...
  19. Xulonn

This is bad snake oil. The only real and useful snake oil comes from the Chinese Water Snake - Enhydris chinensis.
Top Bottom