Search results

1. H

Let's talk CD Players!

For more than 10 years, after Philips silently left the market as supplier, only 3 mechanisms were available: Sony KHM-313 / Sanyo DM-31 /Hitachi HOP-1200. That's all. No matter if it was a boombox or High End machine worth 9000$, like Accuphase, who used the very cheap KHM-313. AFAIK the Sanyo...
  2. H

Let's talk CD Players!

Standard is 24/96 or 24/48 (especdially broadcast) but you are darn right. I am sometimes involved in CD production and never, ever noticed a difference when downsampling from 24/96 to 16/44.1. My brain once even tricked me to think the CD sounded better. I guess the reason is that I was more...
  3. H

Tortuga TPB.V1 Tube Preamp Buffer Review

Amir, there must be a typo in your review. Obviously it is not Tortuga TPB.V1, but Torture TPB.V1
  4. H

Beresford TC-7520 Review (DAC)

My Sony CDP-101 has 11 microseconds delay. Would be great if this very first consumer player would be reviewed, but frankly mine is just too precious to be shipped. But a 12 years old DAC will probably perform as well as a new one. And the mentioned „expensive Marantz“ will nevertheless have...
  5. H

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

What do you expect with all the hype about vinyl? The funny thing: No professional sound studio would allow those "experts" from forums like Head-Fi to set up or measure their studio but an "amateur" like Amir, who simply relies on signal in - signal out. If the signal is unaltered, the gear is...
  6. H

1 kHz at 0dB clips - by default?

I just checked the sine linked above with a mastering plugin that has intersample detection, no clipping. 0dB headroom and -3.3RMS btw. As I can hear the square-like distortion very faintly on a 1-bit DAC (Sony CDP-X5000) as well as on the Buffalo II, I'll blame it on something else for the...
  7. H

1 kHz at 0dB clips - by default?

Recently I tested my Buffalo II DAC from Twistedpear - a 1kHz sine 0dB test tone. There is a "squarelike" but faint distortion in the upper frequencies. But before running a verdict, I should mention that the testtone is from 1982, from an YEDS-18 Test disc made by Sony for service personnel. I...
  8. H

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

Any jitter measurements with Toslink? Best, Herbert
  9. H

Inside High-res audio: PCM vs MQA vs CD: 2L Sampler Comparison

I propose Surround. In some years algorythms will certainly mimic voices, choose Alec Guinness‘ to make you sound the wise man you already are: „Luke, the Force is physics!“
  10. H

SOUND LIAISON, PCM DXD DSD free compare formats sampler. A new 2.0 version.

Dear psemeraro, nothing new to me. My latest documentary was intentionally recorded almost entirely with a vintage phantom powered Sennheiser MKH416 attached to a mono SIE232 field mixer from around 1978. The defunct SIE competed the SQN3. I knew the film would be black and white so I wanted to...
  11. H

Thanks for the explanation! There could be a trick to find out, assuming both vocal tracks analog chain and digital chain are in sync down to the sample. Invert one, mix both down, maybe the noise gets isolated enough to see what has happened. Best, Herbert
  12. H

Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Review (Headphone)

The headphone will not remind anyone to Dr. Frankenstein, especially in his incarnation by Gene Wilder. But his monster, Mr. Karloff. For a $4256 upgrade, they even nail them to your neck.
  13. H

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

I am very happy to announce that my documentary has it's world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival, "Berlinale". So anyone in Berlin can hear the soundtrack from Gert Anklam in an open air cinema.:) Screening dates and locations will be published on May 20 on the Berlinale...
  14. H

Thank you very much for your answer. Could you please explain why the vocal track would suffer if you had applied a lowpass filter that cuts the vocals above 30kHz? Because if I remember the video correctly, there was no garbage below - I must guess here because it was not easy to see in the...
  15. H

First of all the noise starts way over the human voice, If I remember the video correctly the first peak was about 30kHz, maybe more. Way, way over the human voice - and it´s overtones (if any) get "buried" by the overtones of the backing instruments anyway. No harm done cutting the singers...
  16. H

Well I was in short email-contact with Lou Ottens maybe four to five years ago, he passed away this spring and sadly it took the press a week to realise that the creator of the compact cassette (mixtapes anyone?), Image Disc and Compact Disk left this world. Anyway, he had no explanation why the...
  17. H

Off topic, but the CDP-101 started the digital era in HiFi, so here it is - No date given on the bottom of the transformer housing but I guess from the high serial number a later production run. Could be a date is written on the pickup No CD in the box. I already had to replace the amps for the...
  18. H

That every fader movement, panning, plugin-parameter, midi data, name it, is written in the session that creates the mix. That purpose is what the sound engineer did is stored as metadata and can be repeated using the source tracks. This data can even be exported, as aaf or xml. With some quirks...
  19. H

Sorry to say but i doubt the explanation of the “fix” as sessions are automated. It is very likely they simply put an Eq on the vocals to filter out the noise. I am doing a lit of mixing for film an documentaries and asa rule of thumb, voices can be filtered above 15khz an below 200 (female) and...
  20. H

So you both might be happy to hear that I bought a CDP-101 NEW in 2014 because it was stored in the cellar of a HiFi dealer here in Germany for 32 years, three of them were still there; the sealed box had a thick layer of dust. Inside a. catalogue and a red cloth for wiping CD. Grease was dried...
Top Bottom