Search results

1. thefsb

best audio streamer for amazon music HD

SQ was fine, afaict. But that doesn't mean much since I failed the listening test of the difference between 128 MP3, 320 and lossless. I'd use Spotify if its music selection were any good. I could make a little video to demonstrate these weird behaviors. There's no reason for the renderer to...
  2. thefsb

The Andover Audio Songbird will be returned. The software is catastrophically buggy. That's a pity because the hardware is great and the control app ought to meet our needs perfectly. But 1. It's not just incapable of gap-less playback. The gaps are so long that I end up saying out loud, "What...
  3. thefsb

It's arriving today. Vendor is in state. I might send it to Amir for testing if we can figure out the features to test and how. Is there a user community for it out there somewhere? Or should we try to organize such a thing here?
  4. thefsb

I ordered from www.safeandsoundhq.com today. But I'll keep my findings and opinions to myself since there is nothing left to say on the subject.
  5. thefsb

That seems like the kind of thing I'd need to try out to see if it works for us. Very interesting. Have you used an Echo Link?
  6. thefsb

Do you plan to use the Echo Link with a small TV?
  7. thefsb

Tried it. Returned it. We both found the phone control app infuriating.
  8. thefsb

I think the Echo Link might be worth a try.
  9. thefsb

What streamer for Amazon Music to Topping D50s?

We had a Bluesound Node for a couple of weeks and returned it because the mobile app was so bad. BubbleUPNP FTW.
  10. thefsb

Thanks for the info. 44.1/16 is quite enough for me. I usually can't even tell the difference between 128k and 320k MP3. That said, I prefer 44.1/16 over lossy because then I don't think about what I might possibly be missing.
  11. thefsb

Do these devices work without a TV? All I can find about them relates to their features for video streaming. They seem generally similar to my Roku, the UI of which doesn't work without the projector being on. And how does chromecast work? If, using my phone, I start playing music from my...
  12. thefsb

The optical input for my D50s is occupied but the coax input is free, and the USB can be free too if the streamer will also play from my digital music collection (available from a MinimServer or SMB). Does an Echo Link do this? At present I have a Raspberry Pi and I can play Tidal (apparently...
  13. thefsb

can you tell me more about mibox? 16/44.1 is fine for me. (i can't tell the difference between lossy compression and CDs anyway)
  14. thefsb

Apple lossless official announcement

At present I have an RPi that works with Tidal or Qobuz but Apple has better selection than either of those. Oh well.
  15. thefsb

Yes, for listening to music. I see there's an Apple Music app for my Android phone and a web player I can use on computers. But how do I stream to the stereo in the living room? I have a Topping D50s and an integrated amp.
  16. thefsb

Do you mean this set top box? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-hd/32gb I have a Topping D50s DAC but I don't think the Apple TV box's Thunderbolt/USB will work with that, or will it? And I have an integrated amp with analog RCA connectors.
  17. thefsb

Will I need to get a TV?
  18. thefsb

Will I need to get an iPhone?
  19. thefsb

Music is dead.

Yes, same writer. In the early 90s he was much involved with The Baffler (it changed a lot since then) but there's a great collection of material from that period collected in a book called Commofidy Your Dissent. The essay "Alternative to What?" I quoted above is in there followed by the famous...
  20. thefsb

Music is dead.

I think Frank was much influenced by Mencken. For example, when commenting on a recent inauguration speech he quoted Menken's review of Harding's: Setting aside a college professor or two and half a dozen dipsomaniacal newspaper reporters, he takes the first place in my Valhalla of literati...
Top Bottom