Search results

1. Mudjock

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

You could try PM'ing him on the AudioKarma site. User name appears to be pwauk12
  2. Mudjock

Hivi 3.1A DIY Speaker With Sehlin Mod Review

One certainly could go all active with the 3.1's. You would just need to make a new input cup with six connections (two for each driver). You would directly wire the drivers to the inputs. You would also need a 6 channel amplifier for a stereo pair. The primary issues to correct for an ideal...
  3. Mudjock

The minimum impedance is just under 4 ohms. Some speakers "rated" at 4 ohms have minimum impedance under 3 ohms. So, I would rate it as a 4 ohm speaker, but pretty amp-friendly for a 4 ohm speaker. I think given your concerns about reaching reference levels in a large room, the extra...
  4. Mudjock

I would think the DIY 3.1 can handle more than 120W peaks, particularly when a sub is used. Amir's distortion testing showed very controlled behavior at 96 dB continuous above about 60 Hz. The mid and tweeter are well protected by the high crossover points, so the real limitation is woofer...
  5. Mudjock

Crossover points are 1.2 kHz between the woofer and mid and 5.8 kHz between the mid and tweeter. The mid-tweeter crossover is more like 24 dB/octave. The woofer-mid crossover is a little shallower and not completely symmetric. Both drivers have pretty wide off axis dispersion at that point...
  6. Mudjock

New Morel kit from Parts Express

The PE flat pack cabinets have been very good in my experience. Their cabinet guy knows what he is doing. I have generally liked Morel tweeters - not the lowest distortion, but smooth and well-behaved. I'm usually underwhelmed by their midwoofers. A lot of them have suspensions that make...
  7. Mudjock

What headphone(s) do you own ?

SRH840's are my daily headphones for pandemic working from home. I have had them for about 6-7 years, but never listened as much as the last 9 months. I just replaced the headband due to one of the plastic extenders breaking. While at it, I replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz angled...
  8. Mudjock

My pair used the included acoustic damping material, but not the shipping foam. I purchased my pair from a local seller who assembled them and decided not to keep them, so I didn't really get to do any testing with that foam. A word of caution: some shipping foams are closed cell and may not...
  9. Mudjock

Silicone caulk on the inside corners will ensure a good seal. If you can only work from the outside, you are looking at things like bondo, wood filler, or spackle. Bondo is stronger, but can be a pain to work with.
  10. Mudjock

This is the driver responses of the stock kit from the Swans Speakers website, which actually agrees pretty closely to what I measured. Crossover option 4, in addition to improving the level matching of the drivers, helps with integration between the drivers. In particular, there seems to be...
  11. Mudjock

When I pull up 16/44's link, I get the 3 way M3 with the same drivers as the DIY-3.1. That cabinet looks slightly better than my completely rectangular cabinet with textured white paint ;). I've paid $200 (the difference in price between those and the kit) for much worse cabinets.
  12. Mudjock

Purifi SPK5 Speaker Review (Prototype)

The key information is the impedance plot versus the manufacturer's spec. The locations and magnitudes of the impedance peaks (and the location of the saddle point between them that defines the tuning frequency) are very different. There really isn't a supportable argument that the speaker...
  13. Mudjock

Carmody S2000 DIY Speaker Kit Review

I first met the designer about 13 years ago (his first DIY event). He does have a recording background and tends to voice his designs to not sound harsh even on poorly recorded material, so treble can get a little recessed, especially in the BBC dip area (3-5 kHz). With my designs, I have...
  14. Mudjock

Ascend Sierra Luna Mini-Monitor Review

The straws would be interesting as the port has a 90 degree elbow. I wonder how much good straws in half the length would do? I can get a similar response to the original with a crossover around 4 kHz. That solves some, but not all issues. For the Helium woofer, I would really like to get...
  15. Mudjock

It's certainly not easy to design a passive speaker of this size that will do well with the ASR test methods. There isn't room in the cabinet to employ a very complex crossover, which usually limits how linear the response can be. Any of the available enclosure options are a challenge. A...
  16. Mudjock

I ran into issues with the typical gated measurements I use for crossover development not picking up the severe port resonances in the Helium design also reviewed here. I suspect this "quasi-anechoic" graph was done similarly, with low frequency response spliced in. I was able to pick up the...
  17. Mudjock

It's important to consider that this wasn't a clean sheet modification. In order to make it helpful to the majority of kit builders, I wanted to allow the original circuit board to be reused along with the most expensive components. These constraints manifest themselves most severely on the...
  18. Mudjock

Sehlin Helium DIY Speaker Review

I have had a chance to investigate the returned speaker, so here is the post mortem report... One discrepancy I noted between the ASR spinorama measurements and my gated measurements was the lower SPL level seen in the ASR measurements above 5.5 kHz (the approximate crossover point between...
  19. Mudjock

Infinity R162 Bookshelf Speaker Review

I suspect there is more going on than merely an attempt to reduce competition between Infinity and Revel models. Speaker design, especially commercial speaker design is all about tradeoffs. The higher crossover point does at least a couple of things that would make the accountants happy. 1...
  20. Mudjock

This is correct, Sehlin = ScottS = Mudjock. The ScottS perfectionist crossover is what was tested.
Top Bottom