Search results

1. DavidMcRoy

Does lossless really matter?

Most of my music listening is on speakers, not headphones, but for really critical things like ABX testing, headphones simply reveal more in midrange and high frequencies. I mostly listen to jazz, pop, rock and classical. When I compare lossy vs. lossless and various sampling rates and bit...
  2. DavidMcRoy

Apple lossless official announcement

I wonder whether any MQA processing that may be present on the TIDAL files might explain the differences? (Just a stab in the dark on my part)
  3. DavidMcRoy

I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 system (with speakers) and based on my personal experience, the binaural version on Apple Music bears almost no similarity to the way movie soundtracks in Dolby Atmos sound. At best, depending on who did the remix, you “might“ just get a more pleasant sounding...
  4. DavidMcRoy

This goes back to my contention in other threads that Dolby Labs should revise its branding. Perhaps “Dolby Atmos Immersive” vs. “Dolby Atmos Binaural” would be appropriate.
  5. DavidMcRoy

What you’ve uncovered comports with my understanding of what’s going on with Apple Music’s Dolby Atmos: it’s a big package consisting of a genuine, original Dolby Atmos mix or remix suitable for multichannel immersive speaker array playback via HDMI from an Apple TV4K set top box, accompanied by...
  6. DavidMcRoy

I have a Dolby Atmos AVR running a 7.1.4 system, and I have iPhones, iPads and a Mac Mini. Alas, I don’t have an Apple TV4K. (That’ll be my next purchase.) As I’ve stated before, and I guess it bears repeating for some, Apple’s own propaganda suggest that you need an Apple TV4K running the...
  7. DavidMcRoy

Multichannel, but is is really Dolby Atmos? I don’t know.
  8. DavidMcRoy

Apple says you need an Apple TV4K running the latest tvOS feeding your Dolby Atmos AVR via HDMI to do that.
  9. DavidMcRoy

In my case, the DAC has it’s own AC power supply plugged into a wall outlet. Only the iOS device gets power through the CCK’s Lighting input port.
  10. DavidMcRoy

Apple Lossless and Dolby Atmos is on my iPhone and iPad

I’m no expert on Dolby matters, but I gather that making use of a Dolby Atmos signal for multichannel speaker playback can only be done by a Dolby Atmos hardware decoder, such as those built-in to a Dolby Atmos AVR. I believe the system determines how many speakers you’re using based on your...
  11. DavidMcRoy

I suspect that getting any iPhone to work with an outboard DAC can be tricky. My 6S Plus recognizes the Topping D30, and this is the signal path that I’ve found works: DAC USB out > Apple Camera Connection Kit USB-A port in USB Power > Apple CCK Lightning port in iPhone or iPad Lightning port >...
  12. DavidMcRoy

Apple Lossless and Dolby Atmos is on my iPhone and iPad

My statement about the Mac Mini having no access to anything beyond 2.0 was incorrect. Although I have a Mac Mini, I have not yet experimented with Apple Music on it, so I have no idea. (I tried to make a correction, my Edit option must have timed-out.
  13. DavidMcRoy

There is a large preexisting infrastructure of home theater systems here in North America. Many are already 5.1 and ripe for expansion.
  14. DavidMcRoy

Re: sweetchaos, I thought everybody did it this way! My old iPhone 6S Plus or iPad Air 2 feeding a Topping D30 DAC via Lightning Port to an Apple Camera Connection Kit is my preferred way to stream, from even before I recently picked up Apple Music, ditching TIDAL and Qobuz. I have a D30 feeding...
  15. DavidMcRoy

Dolby Atmos music mixing terminology explained by Mix Engineer John Hanes

I don’t have any comment about profit motivation theories. I’m only concerned with the practical and successful implementation of a technology that has become familiar to me and which I think deserves more widespread availability. The various “versions” of Dolby Atmos for everything from...
  16. DavidMcRoy

Here are my takeaways—answers, presumptions and further questions—regarding the nature of Dolby Atmos signal/file hierarchy as they relate to home playback of Dolby Atmos music mixes provided through streaming services such as Apple Music, Tidal, etc., based on what I’ve read from Apple itself...
  17. DavidMcRoy

Hanes wrote this on Gearspace, and it’s a Must Read: “First, we need to get terminology straight. We can't use binaural and stereo interchangeably. Binaural is not stereo; it is a 2-channel downmix to be delivered to Headphones. “So the process is to do the mix, record it into the Dolby...
  18. DavidMcRoy

I’m a huge fan of “the flavor of Dolby Atmos that’s used in movie and TV soundtracks,” for playback on 7.1.4 surround speaker setup. I’ve had a system for over a year now. And the Dolby Audio Surround 2.0-to-7.1.4 upmixer is brilliant. I don’t know quite what to make of “whatever it is Apple...
  19. DavidMcRoy

Is there an AV receiver/processor that supports Tidal's Dolby Atmos content?

Here’s everything Apple has to say about how to listen to Dolby Atmos from Apple Music: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212182 The only language in there that mentions an outboard Dolby Atmos sound bar or processor is in the context of using an Apple TV4K running tvOS 14.6. As best as I can...
  20. DavidMcRoy

Is there an AV receiver/processor that supports Tidal's Dolby Atmos content?

Apple says: If I turn up the volume of Dolby Atmos tracks, I notice that stereo tracks play much louder. What should I do? Turn on Sound Check. Here’s how: On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Music, and turn on Sound Check. On your Mac, open the Apple Music app. In the menu bar, choose...
Top Bottom