Search results

1. MRC01

How to best explain dB to non-audio experts?

That's true for a dbP, but not for a dbV. Most of the specs that Amir measures here are voltage, where every 10x change is 20 dB. For example, if someone says SINAD is 100 dB, that's 10^5 or 100,000:1, or 0.001%. It's not 10^10, or 0.00000001%. This is another common confusion about dB: when to...
  2. MRC01

How to best explain dB to non-audio experts?

Is your brother a tree? First, remember that there are actually 2 different "sizes" of dB: for power, and for voltage. Each has a different formula: dbP (power) = 10 * log(R) dbV (voltage) = 20 * log(R) Where R is the ratio you are expressing in dB. From the math you can see that a dbP is...
  3. MRC01

Do all DAC's have technical issues

I had an early version of the JDS Element that produced occasional clicks when playing over USB. It could have been related to adaptive vs. async mode, or maybe something else. But whatever the cause, it would be nice to have a test for this. Because this DAC measured well, all distortions below...
  4. MRC01

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Unicomp still makes those with true stainless steel buckling spring switches. The best keyboard EVER. The problem with BT keyboards is the delay. It is tiny, but noticeable and incredibly frustrating for those who are fast touch typists. Even a hard-wired USB keyboard has a slight delay compared...
  5. MRC01

Do all DAC's have technical issues

Depends on your definition of "technical issues". No DAC has mathematically perfect reconstruction. As powerful as computers and chips are today, mathematically perfect DA construction in real-time requires more processing power than is available even at high consumer prices. So if your...
  6. MRC01

Windows audio stuttering

You name just a few of the many reasons I switched to Linux years ago. Linux has its quirks and is not for the faint of heart, but in different ways. It doesn't crash, or come with a bazillion bloat-ware cr-applets, or gradually consume the entire hard drive with its own garbage waste files. And...
  7. MRC01

Bass trap

Bass frequencies have long wavelengths. In feet, wavelength = 1100 / frequency, so 50 Hz has a wavelength of about 22 feet. So a simple layer of insulation is invisible to a bass wave; it passes through it like it's not even there. The key to bass treatments is to use the geometry of the...
  8. MRC01

Bass trap

In that case I recommend tube traps, as they are easy to build yourself and quite effective. In my case, they made a big improvement not only subjectively but in before-after measurements. Sounds like you could go with about 2' diameter, and floor to ceiling in the corners. In my case this...
  9. MRC01

Bass trap

What frequenc(ies) do you want to tame/absorb? Bass traps can have a tuned membrane in addition to the fiberglass insulation in order to increase their Q. For example, here's some info on the bass traps that I use: https://realtraps.com/p_megatraps.htm
  10. MRC01

Nice example and link. To play devil's advocate, here's a thought: consider that asymmetric sawtooth wave example. Take the Fourier series of that sawtooth to get a set of cos() waves. Since the sawtooth has a discontinuous 1st derivative, the series will have an infinite # of terms/waves...
  11. MRC01

That's often said but I'm not so sure. The equation is of course correct, but it refers to a sin wave which is a perfectly symmetric steady state oscillation. Shifting phase 180* slides it, and inverting polarity flips it. With a symmetric steady state wave like sin/cos, sliding it just the...
  12. MRC01

One Man's Dream to build the perfect home audio system - Ken Fritz Documentary (YouTube)

I sent that to my wife, so she will see that I'm not really audio crazy.
  13. MRC01

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

Good point. In other words, if top notch school S1 has a rate of 99% and mid-tier school S2 has a rate of 90%, what is the expected rate for a student at S2 who also was accepted to S1? Clearly, it's higher than the average in S2, but how much higher? Bayesian analysis is one way to estimate...
  14. MRC01

I was one of those tinkering kids starting about age 8. Lawnmowers, bicycles, cars (they were simpler back then), walkmans, computers, software, I was curious and could not resist taking them apart to see how they work, tinkering with them. My friends were like this too. Then in college I met...
  15. MRC01

Poll & discussion: UFOs / UAPs / Other Intelligent Life in Universe

I searched this thread and was surprised nobody's mentioned the Drake Equation. The universe is so big, and so old, it's virtually certain that there are other forms of sentient life. But time is so vast, and the speed of light so slow, that it's almost equally certain that we'll never meet any...
  16. MRC01

From the perspective of the student, the key question is, "How likely am I to get a good job in my field when I graduate?" It's the percentage, not the absolute numbers, that answers this question.
  17. MRC01

The value of this, and of those connections, varies from one field to another. In computer science it's relatively less important than it is in other fields.
  18. MRC01

The article doesn't say if the numbers are raw, or normalized by school size/population. If the former, it's of course misleading, favoring the bigger schools. The text says, "SHL calculated the number of graduates from each institution working at 15 of the world's largest tech companies." and...
  19. MRC01

It may not be "policitally correct" to say so, but STEM majors are simply more demanding than others. It's challenging hard work which is even harder if you don't enjoy it. If you do enjoy it, then it is still challenging but it has a lot of satisfaction for the intellectually curious, call it...
Top Bottom