Search results

1. solderdude

Looking for a good tube amp for my Massdrop x Fostex Thx00 purplehearts

You don't have to 'get' me nor my explanations. I never heard nor measured the amp section. I worked for Technics/Panasonic (service dept) and happen to know the A900S. Owned and measured the TH-X00 as well. Also I am not saying there are no differences between amplifiers. Have been...
  2. solderdude

In that case just buy the THX AAA :D ... and add 330 Ohm output resistors.
  3. solderdude

The reason for the Technics SE-A900S sounding different is of technical origin. The output resistance from the HP socket is a whopping 330 Ohm as seen in the specs of the manual (have a poor quality copy of it). The amp's power output signal is routed through R561 (150 Ohm 1W) + R562 (180...
  4. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

I would agree with this and can't see it being important for audio frequencies either but the 'technical evidence' he presented does appear to point in the direction of his theory. He seems to have technical evidence. I don't think his nulling tests are proof of the audibilty as one can shoot...
  5. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

@amirm As I don't have the Isolda cable I can't do any comparisons so I have this 'theory' that would be easy to put to the test. Assuming the high capacitance (and low inductance) is the reason for the improvements (regardless of theory) and other manufacturers exist that have high capacitance...
  6. solderdude

Name the one best sounding song on your system?

I have loads of songs that sound great. Without exception these have a decent to high DR rating and come from reputable labels. Call it "audiophile demonstration quality recordings'. All of these sound great. The music that sounds poorer is by definition 'mainstream' pop albums and are troubled...
  7. solderdude

Is Headphones Break-in Real? - Study by RTINGS.com

So the first 15 mins it sounded poor (sound did not change during that time) and put it away, out of frustration, and the next day they sounded great and continued to sound equally great after that. ?
  8. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

The test results of Max T. seem to indicate the frequency response is wider (in the upper extension) for his cable compared to 'normal' cables. That roll-off doesn't seem to be caused by cable capacitance. At 10m length there is 30nF of capacitance and 3uH of extra inductance. Normal L/C filter...
  9. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

In your cable geometry 'evidence' simulation I see you are using a 5MHz squarewave (with almost infinite BW) which produces 2.5MHz ringing and is supposed to be evidence of the poor SQ. How is that (poor) simulation relevant to audio even when we consider the audible band is 50kHz. Why would a...
  10. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

Not so in my case ... besides we had different tastes in music. :rolleyes:
  11. solderdude

I do have to stretch the headphone quite far as can be seen. So my noggin may be small but still... The headphone 'I' am wearing is actually a picture of real one .. a prototype that isn't launched yet.
  12. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

The zobel at the speaker side makes sense. Would such also be needed for line level interlinks ?
  13. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

Why not send a sample of your cable to Amir and see what he measures compared to generic cables. I wish I could use my wife to trouble shoot issues... could come in handy. Seems like I married the wrong one though. :)
  14. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

That would be my suggestion too, however, not all amp manufacturers practice this as well. In those cases a high capacitance load combined with a rising impedance is a recipe for disaster where the same disaster may not happen with a lower capacitance cable. A question could be where the back...
  15. solderdude

I have a small head... For motorcycle helmets I always had to buy a smaller size. The newer Sennheisers all clamp, the early one I have never did. It was comfy from day 1.
  16. solderdude

This is the correct way to lower clamping pressure. Never do it the way Tyll suggested (by bending the plastic headband) My old HD650 had perfect clamping force from day 1 and was never bent. All the later models I tested/measured/tried had a high clamping force and needed some bending. The...
  17. solderdude

Can Audio Perfection be attained?

Not noise free (as explained before not possible) but audible noise free is easily obtained. One should realise that most audible noise comes from recordings and not from gear unless you have really sensitive speakers/headphones or crappy equipment. A DAC of your choice with a SINAD > 95 (See...
  18. solderdude

Is a modified Offset audible in a .wav track?

.. nonsense this whole endeavour is.:)
  19. solderdude

Townsend Isolda cable

Thanks for your reply. The fact that a specific amplifier remains stable under simulations does not mean all amplifiers connected to certain speakers remain stable. Also the 8 Ohm argument is nonsense as no speaker cable reaches anywhere near 8 Ohm at audio frequencies. Also there are no...
  20. solderdude

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

Just curious... Do you happen to know which receiver chip(s) make use of this method ? Needs a 'big flywheel' that doesn't gets sync'd most of the time and logic to determine the subframe so it knows where to sync to. Also is this recovery method superior in the end result (concerning jitter)...
Top Bottom