Search results

1. acbarn

ZMF Atticus Review (Headphone)

600, 650, 660S, 58x, 6XX, they’re all subtle variations on the same theme. I happen to slightly prefer the 660 but could be equally happy with any of the above.
  2. acbarn

Yup. I went through the ringer with headphones and finally ended up back on the humble 660S as my daily driver. I suppose it was sort of a fun process, but wow what a total waste of time and money.
  3. acbarn

Many audiophiles appear to be purchasing headphones based upon looks first, then price (the higher the better), and finally YouTube recommendations. It’s great that you’re shining some light on this nonsense. Hopefully some of these boutique companies will come around and start producing...
  4. acbarn

Apple lossless official announcement

I don’t know if he read the comment, but I posted about the iPad on his YouTube channel a few days ago. In his followup article he used the Dragonfly to test the sample rate, not sure why he didn’t use his ADI-2. I watch his channel primarily because of the high production quality, but he...
  5. acbarn

Are you moving from Roon+Tidal/Qobuz to a Major HiFi Streaming Service?

Now that lossless has hit the mainstream, will you be dropping your Roon subscription in favor of one of the major streaming services?
  6. acbarn

Amazon seems to be using the terms “Dolby Atmos” and “3D” interchangeably: https://music.amazon.com/playlists/B081KSLWPF
  7. acbarn

Because it can be turned off in settings, the assumption is that stereo files (whether AAC or ALAC) will continue to be offered alongside Atmos. Of course, this could change in the future if Atmos becomes the new standard for music. I guess I don’t see this happening as the trends all seem to...
  8. acbarn

Hmm, maybe you’re right and “auto” is the default. I may have misremembered that myself. In either case, “auto” is supposed to recognize compatible hardware (appropriate surround systems or Apple headphones) and only serve those files when the hardware is available.
  9. acbarn

This is the crucial bit. Apple should remove the “always on” setting for Atmos so that people who are on 2-channel systems don’t accidentally leave it turned on and get a degraded version. “Off” and “auto” covers it. That said, “off” is the default, so perhaps accidentally setting it to “always...
  10. acbarn

What were you listening on? If standard 2-channel then I wouldn’t expect it to sound good. Of course, if that’s the case, you can just turn off Atmos in settings.
  11. acbarn

That seems about right. Though Apple headphones that track head movement make the “Spatial Audio” portion of the offering pretty interesting. I was a bit skeptical, but in some instances the ability to move the soundstage out in front is pretty dramatic and almost completely eliminates the...
  12. acbarn

Ah, no. I assumed iPhone, didn’t read enough of the back discussion. Sorry about that. These companies do make it very clear they either want us all in or all out.
  13. acbarn

You can stream Apple Music to an RPi running Ropieee XL via Airplay.
  14. acbarn

At least the hype around Spatial Audio is about something that can be heard by humans and not only bats, which is more than can be said about most audiophile hype.
  15. acbarn

Sitting inside the orchestra would be very cool. Of course, with a lot of modern music, there was no orchestra. When it comes to electronic music, I’m all in for whatever effect makes the music sound more interesting and engaging (others will differ, of course). I was just listening to an old...
  16. acbarn

There seems to be some confusion around the terms “lossless” vs “bit perfect”? In Apple’s use of the term, ”lossless” refers to their ALAC compression technology. On the other hand, “bit perfect” refers to a characteristic of data transmission and has nothing to due with the compression tech...
  17. acbarn

I have to wonder if this has to do with the particular DACs? I’ve used various iPhones and iPads (going back to Gen 6 and up to the latest Pro) with a variety of DACs and with the proper connections I’ve never had an issue.
  18. acbarn

Bummer!
  19. acbarn

It should work with this adapter. If not, you may need a powered USB hub. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter https://blog.jdslabs.com/2014/01/how-to-connect-android-ipad-or-iphone-to-a-dac/
  20. acbarn

So it doesn’t connect when both the phone and DACs are plugged in?
Top Bottom