Search results

1. companyja

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

Does anyone know whether pre-mix or post-mix APO alters anything? I for example often play video games and play music at the same time so if I stick my volume at 100% in windows which I do, I like to use a pre-mix APO for my negative preamp since that then creates additional headroom for the...
  2. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

This is a bit of a weird one since by altering the volume you are definitionally not doing digitally bit-perfect output; lowering the volume digitally (using the DAC) lowers the bit depth of the signal, so you theoretically lose some SNR. Generally it's easiest to think of it as 1bit = 6dB, so...
  3. companyja

To my knowledge, the thing that allows EQ APO to work is that microsoft has added APO support to DirectSound - so you can modify or add audio processing units before or after the mixdown. I'm not aware of any ASIO drivers that support APOs, however there are ASIO drivers that will include their...
  4. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

I don't think you can find E30 PCB photos online since the display is glued in and people didn't want to destroy their units. You can be brave and post a picture of your own unit though if you really want to know that badly. Also it's a bit funny to ask for a pic of the PCB when the link on the...
  5. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

I dunno if it's been noted here but it seems like they silently revised the E30 from the AK 4118 reciever for SPDIF to a CS8416 chip. I assume there is a shortage of AKM chips that necessitated this change. I don't use SPDIF with my E30 but it might be of note to someone looking to buy it for...
  6. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

You can definitely talk about these differences in speakers and headphones. We are especially not that great at measuring headphone frequency responses reliably - and if you look at a headphone mesuarement, there are all these peaks and valleys and shapes on the frequency response - that...
  7. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

Hi mate, there are things where measurements will not tell the whole story, such as speakers and headphones. However, for DACs and AMPs, the standard suite of measurements will pretty much tell you what to expect. If you want subjective impressions, you can definitely find them at head-fi, SBAF...
  8. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

Here's a somewhat troubling discovery I found - I was applying some EQ with EQ APO for a while and just for fun I wanted to see how badly my phase was butchered since EQ APO uses minimum phase IIR filters - what I discovered, however, is that on the test-run I re-did with the E30/L30 stack and...
  9. companyja

replacing lme49720 for a bluetooth dac

Hello mate, this forum is a wrong place to ask since chip rolling is rather discouraged - if you don't have the proper tools to evaluate what your mod does to the audio (something that can measure THD/IMD/noise), then it's better to not touch the audio circuit - replacing a chip with a more...
  10. companyja

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Seems like this area has changed, of course aside from the holes in the corners, the pin and those five holes in the middle with a + sign on the back Other than that, looks identical to me
  11. companyja

Sanskrit 10th MKII does anybody understand the 'filters'

The filters are low-pass filters - they attenuate everything past the nyquist limit. For example, if you have a 44.1khz sampling rate, that means are frenquencies under 22.05khz are perfectly sampled. Anything above 22.05khz however will be garbage data unrelated to the original signal...
  12. companyja

To be clear, this is the type of difference we are talking about here? Maybe there is a bit of a jump to low gain but between 0db and 9db gain, I imagine if you take enough L30 units you can find variations large enough where one unit's 9dB will perform better than another unit's 0dB gain...
  13. companyja

Here's a question to L30 owners, do you notice that the amp has a rather large volume pot deadzone from around 3:30 o'clock to the end? To me, even with pure sines, the volume sounds equally loud past 3'oclock or so. Is this the effect of running the L30 from the E30 which can't provide enough...
  14. companyja

damn sounds like you hate your headphones, very sad try stacking those doorstops, and be sure to put them in the middle as it will affect the mid-range the most
  15. companyja

I bought a new L30 with the power adapter back in February and it was still a 2012 unit. It seems like they made a huge amount of 2012 units and are still selling those. I opened it up to see the fix and it looks like it came out of the factory with the pin already, no excess glue visible. I'm...
  16. companyja

You can hook the kalis to the L30's line-out at the back, and then use the OFF-HPA-PRE switch of the L30 to switch from the headphones to the monitors
  17. companyja

This is a bit late, but from my understanding: 1) Your device's original driver didn't have custom APOs, just installing EQ APO's APO is the same as unchecking those boxes. My E30 also didn't have addiitonal APOs, my portable Fiio X3 III did, for example 2) For the exact same protection...
  18. companyja

I'd say it slowly gets warmer and cooler over time and it's the whole chassis no particular hot spot. I remember my old Fiio K5 Pro getting warmer and colder over time seemingly randomly as well but to Fiio's credit, that unit was really only lukewarm at best and mostly cold to the touch. Coming...
  19. companyja

I wish I knew what makes the L30 warm up, sometimes it's lukewarm when I'm blasting music fairly loudly and sometimes it's quite warm when I'm watching youtube on lower volume (and vice-versa). I don't have something to measure it with but I'd say it gets 40Cish or more, and then it'll cool...
  20. companyja

Topping E30 vs Shiit Modius, any notable differences?

I am writing this in response to someone earlier mentioning the effects of audio information over 20khz even if we can't hear it: Most audio engineers agree that everything above 22.05khz is forfeit (above 20khz really but the few more khz give you good wiggle-room for exceptional-hearing...
Top Bottom