Search results

1. DWPress

Apple's new M1 Mac Mini as source (misses out on silent operation)

Just to add in - I got a M1 Mini when they were first released and have no regrets especially now that Windows Arm can VM in Parallels. I still keep a 2012 Mini stacked with this one though to run Adobe CS6, even at idle and with a SSD installed it does generate some fan sound and will more if...
  2. DWPress

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

I've got three of these in storage right now but used them with a NAD 1300 preamp bridged 8ohm into earlier incarnations of my DIY speakers before I ripped out the XOs and went active and then they powered the woofers for awhile. All of them have quirks that the relay replacement would likely...
  3. DWPress

Penteo Plugin

If Penteo didn't have an official installer you might have to work around OSXs security restrictions like I mentioned in my linked thread. Copy and paste this into Terminal: sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/* Then reboot your Mac. Yes. The output from Roon would...
  4. DWPress

Penteo Plugin

Here you go: Guide: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and EQ/DRC/DSP (Mac & PC systemwide) Just download Element and Blackhole and you are good to go.
  5. DWPress

Absolute Silence - Server Build & Turemetal UP10 Case Review

My workstation is a M1 Mac mini and the fan never comes on with 2TB of external storage on Thunderbolt. It beats the snot out of most Windows machines now that you can run VMs on it. Roon Core and Adobe Creative Suite and 20+ tabs in Chrome + assorted other apps are about 15% CPU load. It's...
  6. DWPress

Stereo Bass using subwoofers

I run 2 subs mono from diagonal corners of my 16x20' room which from what I've read is less than ideal for a 2 sub set up but was the only space available for placement. The XO is at 55Hz but my mains have capable 15" bass drivers in big boxes so I guess I'm lucky with some judicious DSP. I have...
  7. DWPress

TIDAL: No EQ is a major oversight

I have a solution that might work. Check out my post here: Guide: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and DRC/DSP (Mac & PC systemwide) Skip to step 4 and you can use any, and there are some very good free ones, VST or AU type of EQ plugin you want and limit it to one app or systemwide...
  8. DWPress

Multiroom synchronous streaming success? I want to hear how you did it

Just to be clear, this limitation is only for sending the same audio stream to grouped endpoints. You can still send music to the other zones via the desktop or phone apps. So a Airplay device can receive audio in one zone and you can still send another audio stream to a CCA, USB DAC, etc on...
  9. DWPress

I stand corrected, just tried to link my Airplay zone to my wired DAC zone and can't. They do have to be of the same manufacturer it seems.
  10. DWPress

I can confirm this works with Roon - so long as everything shares a local network. I have the Roon core set up on my Mac Mini and often play music in my two adjoining rooms with separate speakers and amps (one goes to the Okto and the other to another wired computer output enabled in Roon) and...
  11. DWPress

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

FYI, I finally got around to writing up my guide here: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and DRC/DSP (Mac & PC systemwide) It might be helpful for some of the readers of this thread
  12. DWPress

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Mine! However at 172 liters and 160 lbs it would have to go freight and Amir would never lift it on the Klippel! :p
  13. DWPress

Digital "preamp" solutions

You could try to find some older MSB gear like a ADD-1 or PAD-1 which is a 24/96 ADC with AES out. I found one really cheap on eBay not long ago and this is how I route analog sources into my DAC8-Pro using USB/AES mode. Check out my guide in my signature for a way to implement your channel...
  14. DWPress

Guide: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and EQ/DRC/DSP (Mac & PC systemwide)

@dualazmak - Yes, I've followed your thread and commented in the past. This is just another way to get there, just a cross platform approach and the use of Element opens up so many possibilities.
  15. DWPress

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

@Burning Sounds - sounds almost exactly like my journey but my middle man was a Motu instead of a Mytek. I agree on the total silence of the Okto and having a remote is great.
  16. DWPress

Building a High End Listening Room Part 1: Goals, Construction Works, Diffusers

Looking forward to part 2. I've been doing some room treatments myself and need to remeasure the space soon.
  17. DWPress

New Computer Build

Since this is going to be dedicated to a music only machine have you considered a base M1 Mac Mini for $650? Small, fanless and runs Windows faster than most PCs now that VMs work on it. Small fee from Jriver to make your license cross platform.
  18. DWPress

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

For anyone who has a DAC8 Pro and hasn't worked out yet how they are going to implement an active XO or are interested in alternatives (especially in Mac) I put up a post yesterday here on ASR outlining how I've done it. Guide: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and DRC/DSP (Mac & PC...
  19. DWPress

Guide: Computer Active XO, multi channel (or not) and EQ/DRC/DSP (Mac & PC systemwide)

Yes, it was VB Audio Cable I was thinking of, I'll fix that above - I wrote this from mostly a Mac perspective so the Windows links are mostly from memory and there's probably some I missed too! Yes, EQ APO can do this but not option for Mac. Roon and JRiver can post XO but not as elegantly and...
  20. DWPress

The XO filters are created in rePhase which gives you many many options on how to control the slope and LR, Butterworth etc.
Top Bottom