Search results

1. Cosmik

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

But there is: it's just that it's not as obvious if you look at it with an oscilloscope. Feed it through a little synchronous logic circuit and you can extract a separate clock and data stream. I see no fundamental difference, because I could do the same thing with S/PDIF (or an S/PDIF variant...
  2. Cosmik

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

The separate clock is conceptually simpler but why should it offer improved performance relative to a scheme that combines clock and data on one wire? It will still need 'clock recovery' based on edges that have been contaminated with jitter by sending it over an external cable, just like any...
  3. Cosmik

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

I can't get excited about the bass spec inconsistency. This speaker will have dynamic bass management that allows ridiculous SPLs for short periods but will back off the deep bass if there's a danger of things getting too hot. It may be that it doesn't have to do anything for 99.9% of domestic...
  4. Cosmik

But not if that measurement is used as feedback to tweak the EQ and the measurement repeated without changing anything else. You can then have zero error. It may only be an academic exercise because if you move the mic 10mm or use a different output volume, maybe the error goes up again. I am...
  5. Cosmik

Yes, I don't understand the issue. If the microphone isn't moved, the room is very quiet, the temperature and humidity stable, the measurement allowed to integrate for long enough etc., then if the DSP is set up to invert the frequency response of the measurement you can have +/-0.01dB if you...
  6. Cosmik

Do loudspeakers need to image precisely?

Sorry, only you can say why you dedicate a whole room to a single seat in which to listen to music. What scientific tests did you do in order to conclude that you needed a whole room, and not, say, a pair of headphones? Probably none: it was just your preferred way of listening to music...
  7. Cosmik

Why 'a room'? Why not just 'a chair' with speakers mounted a couple of feet in front of the listener? Or an 'apparatus'? Because, I think, sound is not the only consideration. I think there are varying degrees to how perfect the reproduction could be in a dedicated room. An anechoic room, for...
  8. Cosmik

I think we need to ask what the purpose of the stereo system is. If the aim is to reproduce the recording perfectly then, as you say, you could use an echo-free room and recordings created for replay over speakers, or headphones and recordings appropriate for those. Other possibilities would...
  9. Cosmik

I didn't realise that what I had said was simple! :) I was meaning that hearing is an evolved and trained system that allows a human to locate the sources of sounds in reflective environments. We can create an artificial system to do it, but To work, our brains and ears need the world to fit...
  10. Cosmik

The simple answer to that is to say: wire one of your speakers backwards and see if you can hear the difference. And then move around relative to the two speakers and see how that sounds. Or get an assistant to move one of the speakers around the room. (Also, try wiring one channel of a pair of...
  11. Cosmik

I thought we had already debunked that myth? https://blog.soton.ac.uk/soundwaves/wave-interaction/2-reflection/ "Reflection of a sound wave at a hard wall At the wall there can be no particle motion, but the pressure can, and will, vary. In order for the particle velocity to be zero at the wall...
  12. Cosmik

An interesting juxtaposition of statements, because if so, the conclusion would have to be that speakers should emit an inverted version of the signal out of the back, to bounce around the room and mix with the non-inverted version at the front. Even if one espouses the conventional view of...
  13. Cosmik

When is it right to denounce music and stop playing it?

A relevant new article: https://quillette.com/2019/03/13/the-folly-of-disappearing-art-and-culture/
  14. Cosmik

What if a musician expresses the wrong kind of politics? https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/08/how-to-treat-morrissey-stop-listening-to-him-stewart-lee For me, it wouldn't really affect my perception of the music. That Stewart Lee was able to dispose of his Morrissey CDs with...
  15. Cosmik

Such a thing doesn't sound 'fatal', but the reality is that it destroys the person involved. Society is quite happy to destroy someone famous (-ish) even if their crime is inadvertent or didn't hurt anyone else. Real criminals who leave a wake of misery and suffering get a slapped wrist.
  16. Cosmik

I'm sure you're right. But most recordings will sound 'OK' on speakers or headphones, because if all else fails, you still have the music and performance itself to listen to. Great imaging is a bonus, but not essential for enjoying the music at its basic level. Great imaging takes it to the...
  17. Cosmik

I rather think that any producer would be generating these effects in stereo whether they wanted to or not! The panpot *will* give you an angle, and the other stuff will probably give you a sense of depth whether you like it or not. Microphone techniques and other stuff should be different for...
  18. Cosmik

From the Stereophile article I linked to: So yes, your speakers should provide good imaging. It isn't just 'an effect', but a means to hear more in the recording and reduce listening fatigue.
  19. Cosmik

But there's no reason that the recording hasn't synthesised something that resembles that scenario i.e. the panpot creates the angle, and the EQ, reverb and recorded acoustics create the depth. It's something that is nice to hear even if it isn't an actual sonic hologram of a real event.
  20. Cosmik

How many people here know that Blumlein stereo imaging is 'true' in the sense that it reproduces the angles subtended by the actual acoustic sources at the microphone? (with restrictions, such as the maximum extent due to the angle of the speakers which - I think I am right in saying - should...
Top Bottom