Search results

1. S

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Though A30Pro offers excellent performance even with single ended inputs/outputs. My understanding is that most DACs offer much higher voltages in balanced outputs, so to really achieve high power, we will still have to use balanced inputs on A30Pro, right?
  2. S

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

I just realized that m500 only has line-outs. So the outputs of RCAs and XLRs are controlled the same way as headphone out. What is the best way to apply volume control on m500 as pure DAC? Set the software/USB volume to 100%. And then set the hardware volume to the maximum without clipping the...
  3. S

Just discoverd EQ and I kind of start wondering what I was doing ...

Yeah I currently have 3 workhorse headphones: Senn HD58X, AKG K712 Pro and Hifiman Sundara. I guess I am very lucky and spoiled and all of them survived some beats. Yeah, it feels like maybe I should save up a bit and go for something Senn HD800S or Hifiman Arya. I heard a lot of people...
  4. S

Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your review. I was going to spend some serious money on DAC/AMP. But now I feel my bottleneck is probably still at either the headphone or the source (I am using YouTube right now).
  5. S

I just used the presets from oratory 1990. Don't know if he/she is here, but this definitely changed my view on headphones. Now I feel all the chase of sound signatures in DAC/AMP is futile. We can just get the most transparent and affordable stacks from Topping or SMSL and apply EQ. I don't...
  6. S

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

Let's all hope Amir will get to review this very SOON. I think this might what I have been always looking for. And I think we can probably get it at around $400 in a few months. This will then be a killer amp! If we only care about power and function, I think the Monolith THX amp already nails...
  7. S

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

This amp is right now on sale at monoprice for only $330 + tax. I think this is an amazing deal. I want to wait for the SMSL SP400 to come down in price. I think in terms of objective performance, they are very similar. But I like the looks of SP400. :) Right now my headphones are Senn HD58X...
  8. S

If you are still wondering about the tube sound ...

Yeah, pure tube ones are hard to get below $300. I tried a bunch of them, I think this is kind of equivalent of HD5xx for tube amps.
  9. S

If you are still wondering about the tube sound ...

Please consider getting a Bravo Audio V1/2. Remember to get a multimeter to adjust biases, as the factory settings are super wacky on mine. :( But after adjusting biases, this little amp really sings. It pairs very well with with highly regarded Sennheiser 5xx and 6xx. And it also offers a...
  10. S

Looking for an IEM that benefits from amping

Yeah, I think a $40 TempoTec Sonata HD Pro from Amazon is more than what you need. It actually automatic detects impedance, so it lowers the gain when it detects the IEM. It works flawlessly.
  11. S

I ended up purchasing the Moondrop Blessing 2. Many claimed that it was a step up from ER4. I only have ER3, and I indeed like B2 much better. It is a bit brighter, but the tuning is just perfect for female vocal and acoustics. Lows are tight and punchy, mids are sweet and detailed, and highs...
  12. S

Is there a pure Bluetooth receiver like Topping BC30 without DAC?

My transmitter will be a laptop. I just need a receiver that takes the digital signal from laptop and convert it into another digital one such as optical or coaxial, so that I can feed into my DAC.
  13. S

Is there a pure Bluetooth receiver like Topping BC30 without DAC?

I have plenty of DACs and Amps lying around. I am curious if there is some high quality Bluetooth receiver that can convert LDAC signals to digital ones such as optical or coaxical? I know Topping BC30 does that, but it also comes with an extra DAC. There are several generic branded ones on...
  14. S

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

I can confirm the windows driver listed on SMSL official site for M500 is really helpful. It does solve the volume issue! And occasional hiccups in music seem to be gone. But as someone has pointed out in this thread before, it is an older version at 4.67.0.
  15. S

P1 seems to a bit risky at this point. Some love it, and others hate it. Maybe it is time for P2 to arrive!
  16. S

I guess I am super wax-generator. The filter quickly gets klogged and LR become imbalanced. At this point, I have to change them. :(
  17. S

Have to chime in on this. Ety IEMs do have a few things not so great: 0) If you have to put on and off the IEMs very often, they are definitely not for you. But in an office, you may have to. I highly recommend KOSS PortaPro for this use case. You just slide them onto your neck and start...
  18. S

Thanks! AQ7 is already out, I like the looks, but I don't like the price. :) At $500, it stops being very competitive. But I understand as a business, they can't always wow people with very high performance/$$$.
  19. S

It does, but not really that much. It already sounds amazing from the headphone jack of my macbook pro.
  20. S

Yeah, I will definitely give it a try later. Its going price is only $700.
Top Bottom