Search results

1. wje

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

During this past summer, I had the LRS, the .7 and the 1.7i. I should have never gone to the 1.7i - too massive for my condo. But, with the LRS and the .7, I realized they performed better with a class A/B amp (Parasound A23+) as opposed to the class "D" Crown XLS1502. I've since sold off...
  2. wje

Emotiva BasX A-100 Review (stereo amplifier)

Isn't it amazing what marketing will do for a product?
  3. wje

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

My restored McIntosh MC-7270 with LED lighting and an extra layer of blue gel film on the meters.
  4. wje

Amp broke

True. Also, when moving equipment, always unplug the power cable, the RCA or XLR cables as well as the speaker connections. Then, move you gear, then, re-insert all of the connectors. This will ensure you don't put any strain on any of the jacks when moving your gear.
  5. wje

McIntosh MC-7270 Amplifier Find

The McIntosh restore has been completed. Just picked it up from the shop, where calibrations were applied, DC offset, Bias adjusted yet. Slipped it into the new Walnut cabinet. The sound? I have an MC352 for comparison. The MC7270, to my ears, sounds every bit as good as the newer McIntosh...
  6. wje

Why are all tweeters 1 inch in diameter ?

:p - I've had speakers from both series of Focal. The tweeter size revision, didn't make a major change in the sound. However, it did allow Focal to increase their prices by 25%. :cool:
  7. wje

Why are all tweeters 1 inch in diameter ?

With the Focal Electra "BE" series of speakers, the 007BE models had 1" Beryllium tweeters. When they upgraded their line to the 008BE series, they moved to 1.25" tweeters.
  8. wje

I don't use tone controls, but do use Dirac Live! :cool:
  9. wje

Yes. I've realized that listening to rock and roll on the Magnepans wasn't nearly as good as it would be on a box speaker. But, there are also many horrible rock recordings that just can sound bad in general. 90%+ of my listening is currently jazz and female vocals, so the Magnepans do quite...
  10. wje

I did finish watching the rest of the video yesterday. Some comments: I'm not sure what the crossover slope is for the REL subwoofers? I do know that the Rythmik subwoofers have a toggle, which allows you to switch between a 12dB and a 24dB crossover slop on the plate amplifier. I do have a...
  11. wje

Yes, I'm not sure where to put my finger on this one. I thought there were a pair of class D monobloc amplifiers available locally that I wanted to try out with the Magnepans, so I could be sure it wasn't the Crown XLS1502 that was the weak link, or if it was a class D issue, in general. But...
  12. wje

I've been listening to audio for 40+ years and am currently 57 years old. However, my ears about 5 years ago preferred a more detailed speaker and I owned 5 different pair of Focal speakers over the period of 1.5 years. Today, though, my ears tend to prefer a more relaxed sound - slightly...
  13. wje

Yes. After swapping the Crown XLS1502 out with a Parasound A23+, the sound had some significant changes - mainly in the bass region. Again, though, this is my subjective experience and listening. I'd hook up the speakers to the amp, then play a series of songs that I'm familiar with along with...
  14. wje

Greetings. I've watched part of your video on the LRS. I will watch the additional parts of the video on the LRS modifications today. Also, I'm local to the DC metro area and reside in northern VA. I'm following the DC Metro HiFI group on YouTube, too. This past summer, I had the LRS, the .7...
  15. wje

With modern class D, is there One Integrated Amp to Rule Them All?

Orchard Audio is in the process of revamping their class D integrated amplifier. It should launch sometime this year. Their revisions include - moving the power switch to the front panel and the inclusion of VU meters on the front panel. Their existing/outgoing class D integrated amplifier...
  16. wje

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

McIntosh makes some. The C2700 is one example, and they have other models, too.
  17. wje

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

Wouldn't you be looking for a pair of headphones with an included microphone for those Zoom meetings?
  18. wje

Chinese Tube buffer or Pre-amp

As a simple experiment towards the end of last week, I purchased the FX Audio Tube-03 preamp and the GE5654W tubes for a total cost of about $65.00. I kept the bass and treble controls all the way to the left, so no adjustment in sound would be applied with respect to tone. Like the original...
  19. wje

Black Fri SVS Subwoofer Sale

I believe it was part of the Black Friday sale. Even a vendor local to me was selling them for that price a few weeks after Black Friday on Ebay - until their stock ran out. Oops... I meant $499, not $399 as I had indicated earlier.
  20. wje

Black Fri SVS Subwoofer Sale

It's been a year since I've owned my 2 SVS SB2000 subwoofers. Given the current price of the SB2000, it's quite a great deal. When I bought mine about 4.5 years ago, they were full price. Comparing the Rhythmik L12 to the SB2000, I like the build quality of the L12 a bit better. The Rhythmik...
Top Bottom