Search results

1. M

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

Open are cooler, but they can still get hot. I find something with a bit of clamp force more comfortable...so I prefer the fit of a DT 1990 to a T1.2
  2. M

Beyerdynamic T1 Black Ed.(v2) or Focal Elex?

I have both the T1.2 and 1990, and prefer the T1. But you should be able to look at some of the frequency response plots and get an idea of how the two compare in a relative sense. Did you like the T1 sound? Did you find it harsh?
  3. M

The kit we bought, our current setups

Music Server/Workstation: Threadripper 1920x, Linux Mint 19.3 Speakers: 2x KH 310A, 1x KH 750 sub USB to COAX: Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 Headphones: Beyer T1.2 DAC: Topping D50 Headphone Amp: JDS Element USB Volume Control: Drok PC
  4. M

Topping Quality Issues?

I switch to Mint recently from OpenSUSE. When I had the balance issue I popped open the Sound Control Panel and got what is shown below...no balance slider?? I figured it was somewhere else, so I looked a amixer, alsamixer, pusle_effects...nothing?...I had no reason to play with it and figured...
  5. M

Topping Quality Issues?

I need to retract my post above regarding a balance issue with the D50...Embarrassingly, the problem was entirely on my end. There is no issue with the D50
  6. M

Topping Quality Issues?

I'm running Linux and made no changes to my config when changing USB DACs, so I don't believe it is the audio chain on the PC
  7. M

Topping Quality Issues?

Yes, USB only. There is no balance adjustment on the D50. The issue seems to be in the difference in signal paths, USB vs TOSLINK internal to the device.
  8. M

Topping Quality Issues?

Following up on my own post..I purchased a D50 in May 2019 My D50 has developed a channel imbalance (left channel louder than right) when using USB. The problem does not exist using TOSLINK from the same motherboard. I tried my old JDS O2 DAC via USB with no issue. So the problem appears to...
  9. M

USB to SPDIF Converter - D10 vs others

Thanks for the response... I'm using a pair a Neumann KH 310As fed through a KH 750 DSP sub. The sub takes analog or BNC (75 Ω): AES3; S/P-DIF. I currently feed it analog, but would like to avoid the D/A->A/D->D/A conversions...but I'm not ready to spend $400 to the USB to SPDIF...I'm using a...
  10. M

USB to SPDIF Converter - D10 vs others

I'd like to get a USB to COAX SPDIF converter for my new active monitor setup. A Topping D10 seems to be the cheapest option, with the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 being much more expensive, though measuring better as well. Would you consider improvement found with the Matrix Audio audible?
  11. M

BEGINNER QUESTION : Getting "BitPerfect" output in Linux ?

Cantata is an mpd client, mpd uses a client server model. So you configure mpd for the output and Cantata just sits on top of mpd managing the music. The mpd config file is pretty straightforward, but you do need to edit it manually. The only issue I have had with mpd is a bad tag causing the...
  12. M

You might consider mpd, you can configure it to bypass puleaudio and use alsa directly. I have a 10k song library and it seems to index it fine, plus you can use an tablet to control it remote from your computer By the way, there was a mention of pulse down sampling...it can down sample or up...
  13. M

Is the computer dedicated to audio or mixed use? If dedicated to audio, then there are some "audiophile" linux distros. If mixed use, I'd keep pulseaudio, it just makes life easier. I run Mint+mpd+ncmpcpp, and have no real issues. In the past I have found "speechdispatcher" caused some browser...
  14. M

What's your headphone system end game?

I think I have mine Cans: Beyer T1.2, 1990, PSB M4U1 (at work) Amp: JDS Element DAC: Topping D50 DAP - Cowon P1 (not problem pushing either headphone) I don't think I'd buy another set of headphones, if I want to modify the sound, I'd just add a bit of EQ. With modern EQ, I'm starting to...
  15. M

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

Great article, thank you for all the great information found on this site!
  16. M

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

job: thermofluids engineer hobbies: hiking, biking, climbing dreaming of retiring early and going back to school as a hobby....
  17. M

New Subwoofer Neumann KH 750 DSP

Thanks...I just pulled the trigger on a KH 310A + KH 750 set up...I can't wait to start messing with the config...
  18. M

Should ASR bother testing stuff with mediocre manufacturer specs?

I think you've done a great job in finding hidden gems. Focusing on items of high performance/$ and items that push the limit would be my preference...I'm not sure it's worth spending time on mediocrity...
  19. M

Is The Cinema Too Loud?

I actually use musician earplugs at the movies, way too loud for me. I don't like noisy places in general....
  20. M

How to know how much SPL do I actually need?

I would think Max is the criteria for the amps to prevent clipping. You don't need it super loud on average. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/PermissibleExposureTime.htm http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm
Top Bottom