Search results

1. H

Well, THERE's your problem!

I'd forgotten it was 1989. CSW had been around a little while before my parents bought these speakers, so they're probably not even 30.
  2. H

Dome tweeters have been around since the AR-3 in 1958. Not sure if development began while Kloss was still at AR, but he left & co-founded KLH before the AR-3 hit the market. When did Hecht (Phase Tech) do the first soft dome? Late 60s?
  3. H

Most common component names?

Cool diagram! Will reference when friends ask for system advice. "Master of None" More seriously, I'm pretty sure that audio components are most commonly named Alexa, Google & Siri.
  4. H

Best DIY amp for Magnepan

OTOH, if the Parasound is ~15yo, selling before it needs service might be a smart call.
  5. H

Alan, please note that by "NC50x" I mean both NC500 and NC502MP. Do you consider NC500 a viable alternative for people who need more drive than Purifi can handle?
  6. H

Best I've gathered from measurements, big Parasounds have been rated a bit conservatively, and the A21's 250/400W ratings are full-bandwidth at 0.2%. Not to go all @restorer-john here, but the Purifi's 1kHz distortion curves (ASR review) climb rapidly above 150/260W. Therefore, I conclude that...
  7. H

Maggies are low sensitivity, so they want plenty of volts, too. Considering the A21 does 250 @ 8Ω & 400 @ 4Ω, Purifi seems questionable. Unless you're gentle on the volume knob, look at NC50x.
  8. H

Rubber is much better! My 1994 M26WRs are still solid, for which I'm grateful. That IS more unusual, isn't it? Can't say how many decisions were based on cost here, but the cabinet has no relief for "woofer" venting. It's very blocked. I'll try to remember to get a pic of that tomorrow.
  9. H

My mother's Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble satellites. I believe they're from the late 1980s, so no surprises here.
  10. H

[ADVICE] Dac&Amp for € 500/600

Innerfidelity measurements (PDF) show more like 96dB/V. Close enough.
  11. H

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

That mid is very unhappy! And not so well integrated. Perhaps Klipsch should try a 4-way speaker... Assuming the distortion graphs are accurate, they do not support claims that higher sensitivity implies lower distortion. If the specs are honest, these graphs used no more than 1W!
  12. H

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

Absolute output level doesn't matter, because it's all relative to 0dBFS. I'd be shocked if it were not signal amplitude, which is voltage.
  13. H

More broadly, there are many reasons for ASR to test older hardware. Are new models significantly better? We need references for comparison. Which manufacturers improve their products over time? Which ship inferior new products, hoping that their reputations will suffice? (Or that nobody is...
  14. H

Multiple subwoofers using high level input?

A high-level output's crossover would depend on the speaker load. It's the same issue as building DIY speakers with a generic crossover board. And $40 is a lot of money for 4 resistors. You could DIY the same thing for 10% or so - it's simply a voltage divider.
  15. H

You did complain that he wasn't professional...
  16. H

Multiple subwoofers using high level input?

If the subs have their own amps, then the high-level inputs will be high impedance. Parallel connections will be fine. If the subs' high-level outputs are a direct connection - no crossover - then connecting directly to the amp will be the same (minus tiny differences to cable lengths).
  17. H

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

OTOH, full-range mains count as 2 more bass sources. If the goal is to produce bass in multiple locations, why cut bass from speakers that can handle it? Not saying they won't need EQ down there, just that octaves of reduction seems backward.
  18. H

Please point out where @amirm said anything like this. I don't recall it.
  19. H

Multichannel question -- what is this even called?

There are a few threads here. Off the top of my head, search for Behringer, Focusrite, MOTU, RME. And there's the Okto 8-channel DAC.
  20. H

Buying a house and setting up a new stereo

If you can't hear noise/hum, RCA's probably just fine. OTOH, you could start with RCA->XLR cables. Get them a little longer than you need, so you can replace the RCA end when you upgrade to an XLR source.
Top Bottom