Search results

1. B

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Actually I've tested them now, more carefully than last time, using a slow sine sweep they actually are adding the same amount of harmonics across the spectrum. With the exception of "Crystal 1" and "Original" which they oddly don't seem to add much. So yeah, I was wrong in the fact that they...
  2. B

I mean they are subdivided in bands sort of in a multiband harmonic exciter fashion, if you take the time to test it with a spectrum analyzer you can see, some profiles are adding more harmonics to the low region of the spectrum etc.
  3. B

However is to mention that these sound profiles don't necessarily add the same amount of harmonics across the whole spectrum.
  4. B

Yeah I also own TwinTube VST, but obviously we are not talking about that since that VST does something else to the sound under the hood in order to mimics tubes, we are talking about the DAC sound profiles which are just mere non-linear harmonics. Twin Tube probably does distort these harmonics...
  5. B

The DAC cannot simulate a tube amplifier per se, it can simulate non-linear harmonics of a tube preamp, but tubes do something more complex to the sound than just that.
  6. B

The trim on my speakers can do +6 / -6 dB, but the speakers have a pretty large power reserve, in other words they are too powerful.
  7. B

I also have the need for attenuators for my active speakers connected to SU-8, the problem is that i'm splitting the XLR outputs from the SU-8 already to connect SH-8 and active speakers (both balanced), and not knowing the impedance or either SU-8 and SH-8 it's tricky to evaluate a proper...
  8. B

Oh now I've got it, what are you referring to is due to the summing of the signal at the balanced destination, which gives a boost of almost 6dB, if you look at the graphs you can see that the peak has the same boost compared to unbalanced graphs. I'm interested too, would be nice to know the...
  9. B

I personally think that in a professional or enthusiasts product at least a balanced connection (not end-to-end design) should be mandatory. However the main benefits to the enjoyment seems to come from the fact that Left and Right channels each have their own signal path, which can also be the...
  10. B

In this case we have 2 ES9038Q2M stereo DAC modules, one is generating two identical Left channels the other two identical Right channels, then the signal path continues in this fashion. If it was an unbalanced design it would have been only 2 channels in the signal path.
  11. B

No, because a balanced design does not reduce component related "self noise", but reduces considerably external noise which might be caused by electromagnetic interference. Additionally the pcb design and components are suggesting a balanced end to end signal path.
  12. B

That's weird..
  13. B

Unplug it from the power then plug it while holding the button near the display, you should see the firmware version. If says 1.2 it's the old, 1.3 it's the last.
  14. B

If you meant that the "overall" noise appears to be higher in the balanced graphs, the slight increase you see I assume is probably due to the additional paths the signal has to run in a balanced design. It's a bit of a compromise in this case, mains noise wasn't much to begin with so you don't...
  15. B

I suspect you have the old version 1.0 or 1.1 pcb, with the old 1.2 firmware. The popping sound you hear it's a problem they've fixed in the current revision units. If you've got the old unit I suggest you to return it and make sure you get the last version.
  16. B

That's an inherent benefit of a balanced end to end signal path, less noise. Although it is to mention that the noise levels even with the unbalanced connection are so low, to the point it hardly makes a noticeable difference anyway.
  17. B

Yes it is possible with a simple adapter.
  18. B

Regardless of power, I think SH-8 sound is very pleasing, transients seems to have a nice relaxed "slowness" yet still impressively resolving. By no means a clinical and sterile sounding amp, very pleasing to my tastes as I like a nice relaxed sound, not fatiguing, not making my eardrums fry...
  19. B

No idea about the output impedance, it's class A/B fully balanced signal path, discrete output stage. Plenty powerful compared to other smsl amps, also the components inside are very high quality.
  20. B

1) I can't help you with that. 2) yes the dac always remembers the current (global) volume setting when switching inputs, even when turned off and unplugged from the power. No volume surprises. 3) The volume range is in my opinion very well calibrated for remote control operation, no issues to...
Top Bottom