Search results

1. M

DeVore have another winner on their hands

Agreed. There's no magic here. Surely however they sound relates to their measurements....though presumably not just one measurement. Also, I'd emphasize that I spent very little time listening to the speaker linked to in the OP, the Gibbon X. My favorable comments on the Devore relate to a...
  2. M

It seems Amirm had some positive things to say about the Devores from some shows. Disagree. At least for the other Devore speakers I've been mentioning. I found classical particularly wonderful on those designs, especially the Devore O series. One of my main frustrations with reproduced...
  3. M

And yet... The Harbeth speakers I owned sounded wonderful, and very neutral. They seemed to measure pretty well too: http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/harbeth_super_hl5_plus_speakers_review_test_lores.pdf From the review talking about the measurements: "Harbeth’s Super HL5plus proved to have...
  4. M

Posts like that really get at the heart of my own struggle with web sites which have members fully devoted to measurements/technical/scientific vetting. My rational side is all in for decrying b.s. technical claims and audiophile woo-woo and ignorance. And for defending the use of measurements...
  5. M

Yeesh. I can't figure out the deal with that site. Seems almost a gag. Is it my imagination, or do most of those mega-expensive speaker images actually look like graphics-program renders, rather than real products? I suppose they are catering to a very specific client and mindset to...
  6. M

Ha, I just read that review and thought "boy, some people are going to be all over the Devore speaker measurements again." Didn't take long :) There was similar kurffufle over the Devore Orangutan 0/96 measurements to some degree. Yet, as I mentioned in another thread, after listening to...
  7. M

Turntables - help me understand the appeal?

Boy I seem to be having good luck. I've been ordering tons of vinyl, from new re-presses to old obscure records from the 70's/80's and, in general, I'm ending up with super clean, quiet albums. I certainly have had some bummers, both new and old, but in the main I'm super happy. And my...
  8. M

That speaks to the point I raised several times early on. When vinyl nay-sayers go through the list of perils vinyl has to go through, which can depart from measurable fidelity, the impression one can get is to expect vinyl to be a sonic disaster relative to digital. And yet that's often...
  9. M

Evidence-based Speaker Designs

Floyd, May I ask: Given it seems you employed numerous subwoofers in your system, what is the reasoning for having the full range Salon 2 speakers in your system? If you are crossing over at 80 Hz anyway, is this not sort of "throwing away" much of the work that went in to the design to...
  10. M

Ok, that's clearer, thanks. Sure, I get that when you yourself thinking through this, and considering your own experience and aims, this makes sense. And it would make sense for some other people too. But, again, we have the issue of people with different experience, desires, aims. If...
  11. M

Weeelll...yes and no. We actually used to have way more time to do really rich soundtracks. These days it's manic just trying to get the thing done. There are some trends and aspects in film sound these days that I'm not a fan of, and there are some aspects of older soundtracks that I really...
  12. M

I get your point, I believe, but to understand why someone would buy expensive bookshelf speakers without adding a sub, we have to remember that other people have other experiences and priorities - time, money, desire, ergonomic, aesthetic, etc - that might make their choices perfectly rational...
  13. M

Yes it's ironic that musicians participate in the very behaviors and buying models that undermine their own livelihood to some degree. It was even worse in the Napster-onward period before streaming became so popular and everyone was torrenting music by the ton, including musicians. It was...
  14. M

Exactly. Whether it's actually the explanation or not I don't know, but it does seem plausible given what one can observed in regards to the phenomenon. When it comes to the sound quality aspect: Whether people getting in to vinyl are doing so out of an ignorant assumption - 'vinyl is...
  15. M

Nope, and anyone paying attention would haven't written that strawman. If you refuse to even try to understand an alternative view, you are doomed to misrepresent it, as you have again here. But it's ok to misattribute motivations and argue against other people's view based on ignorance of...
  16. M

Again, that analysis doesn't make sense for the reasons I and others have given. You keep mixing up two issues: 1. People's motivation for buying vinyl with 2. Whether the beliefs behind those motivations are TRUE or not. They are separate questions, that you are just mashing together...
  17. M

They were certainly in a minority, but I always knew several people who still spun vinyl, and often preferred it even during the heydey of the CD. I went pretty much all digital pretty fast, myself. BTW, I was reading some of Amirm's show reviews and he often expressed dismay at how many...
  18. M

What a wonderfully comprehensive reply. A pleasure to read. Thank you Dr. Toole! And boy your theater room must sound spectacular. Loved reading all the thought put in to it. (I agonized for years constructing my own theater/music listening room).
  19. M

Passive speakers, separate boxes...help me understand the appeal

Awesome. I've heard many ML designs over the years and enjoyed them. My friend has a pair of ML hybrids and I always have to sit down and spin some tunes. At the time I generally had two different amps I would use: a Conrad Johnson 55W tube amp, and a Bryston 4B (then 4B ST) solid state amp...
  20. M

Passive speakers, separate boxes...help me understand the appeal

I completely understand that from the standpoint of gear fatigue. I've been there. On the other hand, I honestly don't necessarily like the idea of total convergence in audio. I like some aspects of the wild west nature of high end audio. Certainly I like that companies, such as HK, are...
Top Bottom