Search results

1. S

Volumio & BruteFIR related discussion

Following up with Volumio on x86. It didn't finish booting with the nc4000, just dropped out to shell. That may be an issue between the nc4000 bios and the usb3 stick, but volumio's bigger than daphile and won't fit on the smaller, older stick. I tried the same stick on the Aspire One (Atom 230)...
  2. S

Inexpensive mini-amplifiers: Discussion of power ratings and distortion

NAD used a 30W Hypex UcD amp in the d3020 according to press around release, so it probably measures pretty close to ucd32-oem. Unfortunately the plots in their datasheet aren't directly comparable with those on this site, or as extensive as the more expensive models. It's clearly not up to the...
  3. S

That patch went into the Raspbian 4.14.y kernel branch in August 2018 from the upstream kernel, and would have been in 4.14.64 or 65. The comments note that it's a partial fix for unintended side effects of a change around 4.9. I think Volumio tracks the Raspbian kernel, although it's not...
  4. S

Since I've been editing the config template I gave the special filename "dirac pulse" a try, since the BruteFIR docs say it's a way to get all the computational expense for testing. At 96kHz I do get occasional faint pops with the Forte whch I don't get with the plugin disabled. I could imagine...
  5. S

I found the upstream bug report I half remembered, listing other platforms affected, and other triggers. There's input in there from Volumio covering what they've tried to fix it. The patch to the kernel softirq handling may fix it - it seems something similar has been affecting usb dvb devices...
  6. S

I just noticed BruteFIR will also start without errors with the text files and the binary config definition, presumably with unexpected results. I haven't tried DRC before, so I'm not accustomed to any tools. The other thread was a good excuse to give it a try. I don't have Windows, so...
  7. S

To get BruteFIR to load a wav file as a filter you need to specify both the format and the 'skip' offset to get past the header. The wav header is a fixed 44 bytes, so for my 24 bit mono wav I needed to set: format: "S24_LE"; skip: 44; BruteFIR now loads without errors, and music plays. To be...
  8. S

Cheap solution for music in silence

I've confirmed the cause and template editing workaround, and filed issue #208. I used RPI 3 B+ too. From what you say I should probably have heard pops when streaming 24/352.8 flac through brutefir even with the uca202 at 44.1kHz, but I didn't. Now I've got the Forte working I'll generate...
  9. S

I just spotted the bit in readme.md where it says in bold that the filters need to be in text format :facepalm:
  10. S

Not quite. The 'obvious if you know how' part is that Volumio's brutefir3 plugin expects the coefficients in a wav file, and 'silently' fails if you supply them in a wav file which is what Daphile uses and PORC outputs. The plugin also fails 'silently' with the Forte as the output device -...
  11. S

Thanks for the advice, it's just a little different to the Daphile config. The docs, and your thread, assume use of rePhase, so I need to see if it'll run under Wine, or find out enough about the config format to use something that runs on linux. I've only just started playing with DRC so it...
  12. S

First up, Daphile on an old HP nc4000 laptop from 2003 or so, with a 1.4GHz Pentium M single core cpu and 512MB, running from a USB stick since the HDD failed. Output was via USB through a Focusrite Forte. The cpu was limited to 600MHz via the Daphile power settings, so the fan doesn't need to...
  13. S

DIY: good intro to capacitor type

I guess for that sort of detail we need a link to Cyril Bateman's capacitor sound articles.
  14. S

I'm going to have to try the convolver on the pi myself now, just to see first hand how it copes. I usually use picoreplayer for playback without a convolver. The reports I've seen suggest the pi can cope with typical room correction convolutions, but that it causes timing issues in the USB...
  15. S

Wifi usually, on the same network as the player / server. I control mine through a browser if I'm at a computer, or with Squeezer on a phone. There are other control apps though.
  16. S

I assumed it would be headless too (no monitor, mouse or keyboard). Daphile operates that way by default, although you can enable screen etc. You configure it via a web browser, and control it either via a browser or using one of the many control apps for squeezebox / logitechmediaserver...
  17. S

Best mini pc for Tidal

A Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer would probably sound identical and cost a lot less. For measurements to confirm see various posts from Archimago or the measurements here for things like the Allo DigiOne. It depends what your requirements are.
  18. S

The SSD on the Stream is eMMC and usually only 32GB. I've heard of several instances where Windows Update has filled it and refused to update since, but they may have fixed that now. I wouldn't spend my money on one. Parts for a silent mini-itx would be a similar price if you're happy assembling...
  19. S

You could try a Raspberry Pi with Volumio and a hat-based dac or spdif output. It may work with usb dacs too, but there are reports of glitches when combined with convolvers. The odroid boards are said not to have the glitches with usb dacs, but cost a bit more. There are plenty of fanless...
  20. S

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

I should have pointed out they've responded and it should be fixed in future batches.
Top Bottom