Search results

1. DDF

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

Managed to get away from work at a human hour for a second listen and updated what I heard: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/playclassics-album-premiere-for-asr-members.11224/page-6#post-320774 Very nice!
  2. DDF

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

I had sent this to Mario, and he asked me to post. Thanks Mario, very nice production. Some feedback (as I sit at intermission in a live chamber concert, to compare) [and edit upon second listening] The tonality was natural without the usual brightness from many hifi recordings. It took a bit...
  3. DDF

Pre-ringing with linear phase room EQ filters

Indeed. Easily heard here: https://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/the-difference-between-minimum-phase-and-linear-phase-eq-on-transient-signals-such-as-snare-drum EQ applied was aggressive but could be in the realm of possibility for heavy handed FIR eq of a narrow room mode.
  4. DDF

Harbeth Monitor 30 Speaker Review

Keep high resolution! :) Do you feel that's the difference? No windowing needs to be applied to impedance measurements since there's no acoustic measurement being made. Mine are routinely better than 1 Hz, as are impedance traces other builders share with me from the web. A tester would...
  5. DDF

Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor Review

The possibilities that come to mind are the differences in source (they used many CDs) but most likely its due to differences in averaging constants used. These have a significant impact on the outcome. Perhaps you're using longer term averages, which would more suppress the higher...
  6. DDF

IEC-60268-1-1985 can be used as well. In 1996 Peter Chapman (AES preprint 4277) compared it to many CDs by genre and found good matching. I've always weighted my multitone spectrum using Chapman's numbers vs IEC, but both work. Amir mentioned his is designed for low crest factor, but I...
  7. DDF

Other standing waves could affect the frequency region of this 150 Hz peak, agreed. In my set up, they dont, and EQing the peak is very obvious. However, this situation is analogous to the difference between pushing your speakers against the wall or listening to them pulled into the room...
  8. DDF

The best theory was mentioned earlier in the thread: it's possibly the DSP compressor/limiter controlling bass distortion by limiting the bass response at high SPLs. A good illustration of this effect is shown in the response vs level of a bluetooth speaker, for example...
  9. DDF

I based my office speaker eq off the same paper. Very useful. Measured results in my room were very close to this. Another benefit is that the eq was very simple to implement in both eapo (pc) or uapp (tablet+otg cable). Made a significant improvement in the sound of the office system.
  10. DDF

Something concerning is going on between 500 and 900 Hz. It looks like it may be a resonance. It shows up in the isobars here as well: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitore-neumann-kh-80-dsp-die-messdaten/ The 2 to 3 dB dip in response below 300Hz is a stand out anomaly...
  11. DDF

Sonarworks worth it for headphones?

I can also highly recommend Toneboosters Morphit, for UAPP, for an extra $5 as an in app purchase. It comes with eq settings for a boatload of headphones, and can toggle numerous target settings including the Harman curve. I compared its eq for my SRH840 with the parametric eq settings at...
  12. DDF

Revel C52 Speaker Review and Measurements

Hi Krunok, hey, my pleasure. Sorry, I don't use REW (MLSSA user here). But if you want to linearize the phase of your speaker, it has to be anechoic or quasi anechoic plus all excess (linear phase component) removed first. The smoothing applied to phase will be determined by your FFT...
  13. DDF

@Krunok and @KSTR , some more grist for the mill: Its the inner ear envelope (after all its non-linearities) that matters in this. From https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?elib=19404 "Audibility of Loudspeaker Group-Delay Characteristics" Authors: Liski, Juho; Mäkivirta, Aki...
  14. DDF

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

That break out board is brilliant. I hand soldered a SMPS1200<->2xNC400 interconnect cable (board wasn't available yet), which doubled the work. You can see the diode kludge they attempted, to pull Vdr up to the level needed by the NC400, but it didn't work and they subsequently populated it...
  15. DDF

@amirm Thanks for executing these cross check tests, which is really mandatory for any new test set up. Great outcome showing high confidence in the NFS results. Adding the floor and ceiling reflections individually is very important information given their strong impact on perceive timbre...
  16. DDF

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

Different speaker, and different response errors than Amir is measuring.
  17. DDF

Thanks again for responding. I never said they were wrong, please don't put words in my mouth. I did say confidence wasn't high yet that it was right. I based this on your own words, as I linked to in my very first post before the roof came down :)...
  18. DDF

There are good points that it could be a QC issue, but it could also be damaged and no fault to Kali. Kali didn't ship the speaker to Amir and if that shipping damaged it, its not their fault. We don't know. The test results differ significantly from Kali's...
  19. DDF

Thanks for responding. As I made clear, your efforts are appreciated. However I believe there's a responsibility to the truth (not just the consumer, picking sides). That's what science is all about after all. Contrary to popular belief, all manufactures aren't bad guys. :) They have...
  20. DDF

Which could point to damage as well. Or confirmation bias if the test results are accurate. No one is above confirmation bias if having seen the test results first
Top Bottom