Search results

1. mansr

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

I said that idle tones are unlikely to be an issue with modern DAC chips, and you responded by asking if I'd heard the Tambaqui.
  2. mansr

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

What does that have to do with how sigma-delta modulators work?
  3. mansr

Idle tones are largely a problem of the past, but if they do occur, they are in the megahertz range. If you suspect idle tones, check with a spectrum analyser.
  4. mansr

Help explain intersample overs, please?

It is a fairly common "problem" that isn't actually that big a deal. If it really was as bad as Benchmark make it out to be, only the cheapest junk would be affected. Given that it wouldn't be difficult at all for the DAC chip designers to include some headroom, one wonders whey they don't. I...
  5. mansr

The deaf leading the blind? A piece by Henning Møller (B&K)

Prose like that is why I don't put much stock in the AES.
  6. mansr

They are correct in that few, if any, DAC chips handle arbitrary signals without clipping. A simple test it to play white noise at a few different levels and record the output spectrum with a wider bandwidth. Typically, you get something like this: With no clipping, the three curves would all...
  7. mansr

Science: Are You Consistant in Your Views?

I think he underestimated the rate.
  8. mansr

Thanks, that is correct. Another reason to avoid stupid slow roll-off filters.
  9. mansr

It can only happen when digital gain in some form has been used.
  10. mansr

There is no compression, but a little dynamic range is lost no matter how you spin it. The analogue output level has to be scaled such that the worst allowed inter-sample over produced the maximum voltage. A full-scale input without any overs will thus give a slightly reduced output level. The...
  11. mansr

On a general-purpose CPU, 32-bit would be the natural choice. Dedicated hardware can be made with whatever bit width one desires.
  12. mansr

Because DSD and something, something sonar operators.
  13. mansr

Why is that a bad thing?
  14. mansr

Have you seen some of the people on other forums?
  15. mansr

I was banned in the Great Purge.
  16. mansr

Let me guess, his solution is "DSD" and everybody should buy his software.
  17. mansr

Inspired by the misspelling, I think we can say it is important to be consistent in one's views, but they need not be constant over time.
  18. mansr

Ask Hamlet.
  19. mansr

Computer, end program.
  20. mansr

A convenient mathematical model, mostly. Field/wave/particle models aside, the aether theory wasn't that bad given what was known at the time. Experiments proved it wrong, new theories were formulated, and science moved on. Nothing remarkable there.
Top Bottom