Search results

1. solderdude

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

Those are filters that are removed by the brain as our brain calibrates itself continuously over the years by listening to real sounds all day long. On top of that those filters differ from person to person which again does not matter at all because when we listen to real instruments our brain...
  2. solderdude

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

EQ can be more than just beneficial but you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Sound quality isn't only FR related (which is what EQ addresses)
  3. solderdude

Software that emulates phase in headphones?

Yes I measured the phase response but because I also compensate the graph directly in the lows (6dB/oct) and compensate the used mic for being mounted close to an infinite baffle in the treble there are also phase shifts in the results which originate from the filters so showing those plots...
  4. solderdude

What I understood from J_J is that a gradual phase shift isn't very problematic only sharp phase shifts in a very narrow band seem to be audible. Have a look at the Rtings measurements and observe how the phase swings in all directions in the treble. Personally I don't worry about phase that...
  5. solderdude

Electrical phase and acoustical phase are not the same thing. Innerfidelity measures electrical phase only. Rtings measures acoustical phase. Here are some plots (also of LCD2) with phase response
  6. solderdude

Serious question-How do you deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE?

What electronic part do you mean ? The OPA 2134 (which is an excellent opamp) The used resistors and capacitors also seem to be O.K. Only the ceramic cap I cannot say, this would depend on what it does (low capacitance most likely and when NP0/C0G quality is excellent) I assume the filter...
  7. solderdude

Serious question-How do you deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE?

There is no reason why a slow filter + buffer, that works well above the audible range, should have 'a sound'. When it does it isn't designed properly or modifies the signal on purpose. This will clearly show in measurements.
  8. solderdude

Alternative method for measuring distortion

signal --> adding 1LSB dither (for 16 bit) --> encoding in 16 bit.
  9. solderdude

It looks like you don't understand dithering. And I don't give a crap where and how one uses dither in whatever shape in anything other than audio and for whatever reasons. Here we talk about audio and dither is added to linearize response. So the dither added when the objective is to obtain a...
  10. solderdude

Nope, you just dither the LSB of the 16 bit values and you have beyond 16 bits resolution again. Dithering 32 bits is a bit pointless given the fact that real world noise levels are magnitudes larger. Not so with 16 bits.
  11. solderdude

Why is audio so angry?

Hard to emulate comfort, weight, driver angles, driver-ear distances, seal, and other driver aspects than FR (tonality) using just EQ.
  12. solderdude

Compression brings about distortion. Dither linearizes and thus reduces distortion but adds noise. Now we are back on track.
  13. solderdude

Good to hear, I was glad to be rid of Dolby, B, C, dBX, High Com and other companders that to me, even with perfect bias still left me with the side effects of 'pumping' sounds. (dolby B and C weren't that bad in this regard).
  14. solderdude

It doesn't. In fact you can get tails of fading sounds well below the noise floor and well below 1LSB. You will only be hear the added dither when you play 16 bit files at SPL peaks above 110dB, and even then the noise of the recording is much higher anyway.
  15. solderdude

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

If he was diagnosed on Dec 1 he already must have been seriously ill by then so must have come in contact with it about 2-3 weeks before that ?
  16. solderdude

Focal owners: please help me

Because of quality and warranty issues that I have seen reported and the hardclipping at louder volume levels. I do like the sound of the Clear and most likely also the Stellia. The Elear has a weirdness to it, The Elex I have never heard. it's a Elear with better pads I am told. Have not...
  17. solderdude

Are you suggesting to use amps with compressor functionality or odd harmonics ? It thought it was your goal to force manufacturers to reduce any type of distortion to as low to 0 as possible ? The dynamic range of our hearing for listening to music is about 70dB. Even when we go to a loud pop...
  18. solderdude

Focal owners: please help me

none, all of them have real leather headbands. Elegia (better bass extension), Clear and Elex. Am not a Focal owner nor will I likely become one.
  19. solderdude

correct, that doesn't excuse someone listening for an actual difference to do this not level matched within 0.1dB and blind. In such case the outliers will be proven to sound different without the chance of being fooled by avoidable aspects. On top of that... the outliers may even be preferred...
  20. solderdude

USB isolator

It will limit you to 24/96 files. If you want more, you gotta pay more and ensure the isolator can do 480Mbs. When you only play CD or youtube etc it'll probably work. You could be introducing DAC recognizing problems though.
Top Bottom