Search results

1. mhardy6647

Photo gear thread!

All of the really cool camera stuff is my son's -- I am not above posting his photos, though. :oops: As - sort of - a corollary: any of my own photos of even moderately cool camera stuff that I post are most likely of stuff that belongs to him, but (and not always for clearly understood...
  2. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

3. mhardy6647

Photo gear thread!

ooh. Really Right Stuff. My son rocks a RRS tripod. Well, OK, rocks isn't the best choice of words. You know what I mean! ;) His photoblog (which has lain fallow since about the beginning of the pandemic :( ): http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com/ https://doctorhardy.wordpress.com/
  4. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

In case you ever misplace your pet -- check the floor.
  5. mhardy6647

What is it about McIntosh?

Which is exactly why there are (still) a few Mac pieces here! :) Except the MR-67. I like, and use, that one -- use it almost daily, in fact.
  6. mhardy6647

Most Pretentious High-End Audio Component Names

It'll go when I do, unless something unexpected happens in the interim! :oops:
  7. mhardy6647

Most Pretentious High-End Audio Component Names

Prolly the DAC I use -- but it is a very special case, it's got some age on it, and it was never even all that pretentious in the first place. Now optics -- we get a bit snootier at my house when it comes to optics. :) DSC_7238 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  8. mhardy6647

Is there a specific music track that you always use to test new amps/DACs/headphones?

I have a bunch, but the one I always, always play -- and nearly always play first -- when evaluating anything, is the plain ol' redbook CD version of this: The Jennys can, and should, sound like they're in the room. If I get chills listening, it's good. If I don't, I'm probably finished...
  9. mhardy6647

what are your industrial design favorites?

Absolutely gorgeous and desireable. Unfortunately, the sound isn't in league with the design.
  10. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

meanwhile, even more "as seen Elsewhere"...
  11. mhardy6647

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

... looks like vinyl on her calves. and a Little Black Dress. Extra-little, one notes.
  12. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

a (US) Thanksgiving cornucopia's worth of amusing memes posted @ the Polk forums today* I will take the liberty of sharing a couple that seem appropriate for this group. :) _____________________________
  13. mhardy6647

Why do passive speakers still exist?

well, there you go, then :)
  14. mhardy6647

So, now I am even more intrigued as to how to pronounce Genelec! And here I've always thought it was Gen-ə-lec (primary emphasis on the first syllable, secondary empahsis on the schwa). Genius Electronics* -- at least where I live, genius is pronounced with a long e sound... so... it's...
  15. mhardy6647

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner Review

oh. and then there's this... https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fx-audio-6j1-tube-preamp-a-31-wonder.848535/ all 145 pages of it. :rolleyes:
  16. mhardy6647

I thoght it was Genelec as in minus a coupla syllables.
  17. mhardy6647

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner Review

Well... There's a whole freakin' cottage industry of little boxes that "run" tubes at operating points so far from where their designers meant them to be used that they are either cosmetic or are purpose-built euphonic distortion generators. :( They are typically sold as headphone amplifiers...
  18. mhardy6647

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

Based on my experience with the 1974 Cornies I had -- yes, they'll sound less bad with SE triode amplification. My Cornies were profoundly (unlistenably, IMO) ear-gouging driven by a McIntosh MC-2100 (autoformer-coupled ss) amplifier; much less so with SE EL84 or (ultimately) SE 2A3 amplification.
  19. mhardy6647

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

Rcornieoly by Mark Hardy, on Flickr Heh, as a moderately long-time (10 years) but decidedly former Cornwall owner... I understand completely. I looked at the FR curves and thought "well, claims by others to the contrary, these are still gonna sound like Heresys". Very cool to see a thorough...
  20. mhardy6647

Oh -- one may find them much older than that. Here're some very vintage electrodynamic RCA Theatre drivers & horns, e.g.,
Top Bottom