Search results

1. Bjorn

Time Domain measurements?

Speakers with constant directivity over a wide area are much less prone to placement.
  2. Bjorn

May I ask why a wide dispersion speaker is preferred?

But how many of you have actually listened to speakers that are truly uniform horizontally from approximately 500 Hz and up to at least 6 KHz (this covers the most important freq. area) with both wide and narrow dispersion and in the same room? Are you comparing apples to apples?
  3. Bjorn

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

They will be demoed in Bergen and later at hifi shows. Looking at some of the prices of high-end speakers now, I guess it's an absolutely bargain even if the cost ends up being quite a bit higher. Kef Blade $32k: https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Blade-Snow-White-Pair/dp/B009K5C8S8 Revel Ultima Salon2...
  4. Bjorn

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Everything is relative but it will not be a cheap CBT. The manufacture cost of this CBT is quite high. On the other hand, compared to high-end speakers in the market and in regards to how it measures and the complex cabinet construction I would say the cost will be very low. I can't give an...
  5. Bjorn

May I ask why a wide dispersion speaker is preferred?

One needs to take into the account at what time the side wall reflections arrive and the general acoustics of the room besides the polar response of the speaker. Without looking at this, conclusions of what's better or preferred ends up being quite meaningsless. Example: A side wall reflection...
  6. Bjorn

Never Put Subwoofers In Corners... Even with DSP and Multi-Sub Setups?

A study on something that doesn't exist in a small room. How intriguing!
  7. Bjorn

Never Put Subwoofers In Corners... Even with DSP and Multi-Sub Setups?

A weakness with the multiple subwoofer approach is that it doesn't do anything above a certain frequency and those resonances are very audible. If those aren't treated, you end up with mediocre result no matter how flat the sub frequencies are. Quality treatment on the other hand will address...
  8. Bjorn

Could an "evidence based" HiFi retailer ever be commercially viable?

At least that's our goal: https://www.vera-audio.com/philosophy.php
  9. Bjorn

Diffusing 1st reflections of speakers that measure great on and off-axis - instead of absorbing

I understand. You're talking about something like ambience tweeters or in the case of "bwaslo" the sound from the sources are also delayed with 10-20 ms. I think it's important to understand this is not diffused energy and you'll increase high gain specular reflections (depending on location)...
  10. Bjorn

Diffusing 1st reflections of speakers that measure great on and off-axis - instead of absorbing

I don't have time to go into all our questions, but this one is something I touched on in my previous post (see last paragraph)...
  11. Bjorn

50-100 Hz is modal area and not specular. Directivity of a speaker in this frequency range is swamped by room modes in small rooms.
  12. Bjorn

Below is example of an ETC showing a control room with the use of a Haas kicker. This was used quite a bit before well designed diffusers came along. It also had the effect of removing the detrimental effect of later arriving high gain specular reflections (if there were any) because the brain...
  13. Bjorn

Dc is where the sound level of the sound source and reverberation/reflective sound is equal. Imagine a speaker in a large room. Up close the level from the speaker will be higher vs the combined reflective sound. Move further away and at a point the level is approximately the same. If the room...
  14. Bjorn

There isn't to my knowledge an objective definition of early and later reflections. But normally we're talking about early reflections till 10-12 ms area and late after that. The graph is from Peter D'Antonio's book but I don't think it says from what specific room. Below is also the before...
  15. Bjorn

Then I challenge you to post some measurements that shows that perforated panels absorb well and in an even matter down to the Schroeder frequency in a small room in order to disprove me.
  16. Bjorn

You need to read it in the content it's being said. Here it was mentioned in regards to attenuating specular reflections in small rooms. Something that perforated panels don't do well because the absorption coefficient of the panels is low used in small rooms. Even absorption over the...
  17. Bjorn

Please don't make straw-man argument but stick to what's being said. I've never said a perforated panel doesn't work or absorb at all. But I said it didn't work well and especially in regards to attenuating high gain specular reflections in a broadway matter in small rooms. Of course it will...
  18. Bjorn

You need to look at other measurements. Smoothed frequency response is only showing a small part. Specular reflections will not be treated evently with thin absorption. That we know for sure.
Top Bottom