Search results

1. Duke

Will elevating speaker height help countering vertical bass null?

Significantly changing the height of the woofers may help. You might try the speakers upside-down to keep the tweeters at or near your desired height. Adding an overlapping subwoofer near the ceiling (instead of on the floor) may help even more, as this will distribute your bass sources...
  2. Duke

Is my room too square? 26x24

Nope. But if you have free reign in this room, what I WOULD suggest is setting up your speakers along a diagonal. This is what Floyd Toole did in his square-ish home listening room back when he lived in Canada. And, maybe even set them up not quite on a diagonal, to introduce a bit more...
  3. Duke

"Stand Subwoofers" like the Genelec W371, Kii BXT, etc. Ideally with DSP & Multi-Drivers

My company makes a speaker stand which incorporates a subwoofer and a rear-firing coaxial unit. We call it the "SuperStand" because there just isn't enough hyperbole in high-end audio. Ideally a pair of SuperStands would be used with two additional small subs that can be positioned...
  4. Duke

Why do passive speakers still exist?

This certainly applies to me. I became a speaker manufacturer after my brick-and-mortar store burned to the ground and the loss was not covered by insurance due to small-town politics. So I sold what little I had left and bought test equipment. Passive crossover design is easy. Good passive...
  5. Duke

I hope I didn't come across as advocating living with soft, mushy, or non-existent bass. That would have been stupid and counter-productive, given that I'm a subwoofer manufacturer! Regarding the thread topic, Earl Geddes has done active version of his Summa for customers who were willing to...
  6. Duke

I used to think so too, then I researched where the goal posts are for making a cab for electric piano for one of my prosound customers. What I found is that the 27 Hz fundamental of low-A is so weak it's inaudible. The 54 Hz first overtone is also inaudible. piano sound spectrum - YouTube...
  7. Duke

Cheapest Full Range 20hz - 20khz Speakers?

I got 'em BOTH wrong too. Maybe you and I are actually hearing a difference, but mis-identifying which is which? Or maybe you need a new hobby and I need a new job!
  8. Duke

I opened the Google Drive file and navigated away from this page before anyone had posted their impressions. Then I PM'd my calls to @andreasmaaan before returning to this thread. I've already flunked... on the first test, I thought I heard a difference when there was none.
  9. Duke

Ha! That would be like me taking a pie in the face!! I remember Earl Geddes did that deliberately one time, and I was the only one who said they didn't hear a difference. This time I really thought I heard a difference, but if it turns out there was none, well then I just learned something the...
  10. Duke

And now we have Andreasmaaan outnumbered two-to-one. So no matter what he says, if we just STICK TOGETHER on this, we'll win!!
  11. Duke

Thank you!! My call is that Pantosi 1 and Ravel 2 are UNSHIFTED, and Pantosi 2 and Ravel 1 are phase SHIFTED. Listened to each track maybe 3 or 4 times on my (no-name) cheap earbuds. Embarrass me, mock me, hurl insults in my general direction if I'm wrong. I'll deserve it.
  12. Duke

Thanks, I'll download it and take a look!
  13. Duke

Excellent! You would experiment. That's what I did. However you would apparently conduct a far more complicated experiment than mine. Exactly how are you going to alter the phase relationship between the two drivers without simultaneously altering the frequency response? That falls into the...
  14. Duke

Shazb0t, I am not trying to convince you of anything. Can I not state my experience without you taking it as a challenge to your belief system? Let's try an experiment. I'm going to ask you to put yourself in my shoes for a minute or two, and then I'm going to ask you an open-ended question...
  15. Duke

Duke just talks a good game.
  16. Duke

The topology and component values of my crossover are "what works".... what delivers my target response (or comes close enough). I have no idea how closely it resembles any named filter. At first glance the crossover board looks like a second order lowpass and a third order highpass, but there...
  17. Duke

Thank you. I appreciate the courtesy of your telling me flat out that you think I'm wrong. This feels straightforward to me; the other felt like an attack on my character. I'd rather be wrong than be evil. For the record, that paper is apparently about the audibility of group delay below 1...
  18. Duke

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were asking what change my beta-testers perceived, but I did use the words "relevant change" exactly as you described. My bad. Briefly, I went from fourth-order acoustic slopes to slopes that started out first-order and then accelerated to fourth-order after...
  19. Duke

Increased perception of hearing a live performance. Actually the test was double-blind because no one present even knew that a change had been made. I was twelve hundred miles away. The results are as valid as I need them to be for in-house research. Not every question needs...
Top Bottom