Search results

1. amirm

Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Speaker Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom bookshelf speaker. It was kindly sent to me by a member for testing. It costs US $239 from Amazon including shipping for a pair. I have to say, the Atom looks better than its price indicates: Look at the nice grill...
  2. amirm

Purifi SPK5 Speaker Review (Prototype)

This is a review of the Purifi SPK5 reference speaker design for their PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5 Inch Woofer. It was built and sent to me by the company, Celuaris (member @sgoldwin). The unit was shipped from UK and did not travel well. Just about everything that could come loose, did come loose. I...
  3. amirm

CEntrance Hifi-M8 V2 Review (DAC and headphone amplifier)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the CEntrance Hifi-M8 V2 portable headphone amplifier and USB DAC plus Bluetooth. It was kindly sent to me a member who waited over a year for it to ship! The Hifi-M8 V2 costs US $750. Yes, popcorn blew out of my nose too when I saw that price...
  4. amirm

Speaker Max SPL Criteria?

I like to pursue adding max SPL capabilities to my speaker tests (to the extent they are speakers I own at least). I know of the IEC standards for them but I don't know of any real research behind the thresholds they have picked. Limits are in bass where there are multiple mechanisms for...
  5. amirm

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Neumann KH 310A active monitor (speaker). It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. I see it discounted to US $2,200 (each) as of this writing. This is one dense and heavy 3-way speaker: I was relieved to find "rack mount" ears...
  6. amirm

Amazon Fire 7 Review

This is a review and detailed audio measurements of the 9th generation Amazon Fire 7 headphone capability. It was kindly purchased new and dropped ship to me months and months ago! I see it going for US $50 right now but the owner paid just $30 for it! That is a remarkable price for a full...
  7. amirm

Universal Audio Apollo X16 Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Universal Audio Apollo X16 Interface (ADC, DAC and DSP). It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing and costs US $3,499. The X16 is the longest requested interface for us to measure going back to when I had barely started measuring...
  8. amirm

Boston Acoustics A 25 Speaker Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Boston Acoustics A 25 bookshelf speaker. I purchased these a while back at a discount. Seems that they were originally released back in 2011 for US $300 a pair. At the time I purchased them the price had dropped to US $180 a pair. There were...
  9. amirm

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the multifunction Minidsp SHD Power amplifier with Dirac Room EQ and general signal processing. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $1499 including a measurement microphone. The SHD Power has a muscular look and feel to it: I like...
  10. amirm

Dynaudio X14 Speaker Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Dynaudio Excite X14 bookshelf speaker. It was kindly sent in by a member for review. It came out in 2014 and has been discontinued. It cost US $1,500 then. I see used ones at almost that price. While somewhat plain due to black finish, there...
  11. amirm

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the multifunction Loxjie A30 power (speaker and headphone) amplifier with integrated USB DAC and Bluetooth input. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $159 plus $7 shipping on Amazon. The A30 sports a high resolution and high contrast...
  12. amirm

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL SH-9 THX headphone amplifier. Product was just released and will be available shortly. The sample I have was kindly sent to me by SHENZHENAUDIO and costs US $290. The market for high performance headphone amplifiers has become quite...
  13. amirm

Carmody S2000 DIY Speaker Kit Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Carmody S2000 DIY speaker as built by our own member, @Rick Sykora. He has nicely documented his build of S2000 speaker from the kit. According to him the cost for a pair of these with everything included, sans labor to assemble is about US...
  14. amirm

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Revel F328Be floor standing speaker. I purchased a single unit through our company (Madrona) with kind discount from Harman Sales (I asked for a review sample from the PR group but was told "don't call us, we will call you."). The retail cost...
  15. amirm

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the just announced Gustard X16 Balanced USB DAC with hardware decoding. It was kindly sent to me for testing by SHENZHENAUDIO. The X16 costs US $499. The X16 is based on the new ESS ES9068AS DAC which has built-in hardware decoding of MQA...
  16. amirm

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Qudelix-5K USB DAC and balanced headphone amplifier with Bluetooth receiver. I purchased this myself but a member kindly donated one third of the cost. The Qudelix 5K costs US $110 on Amazon including shipping. The Qudelix comes in a nice...
  17. amirm

Sabaj A1 Desktop Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sabaj A1 desktop (small) amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by a member. Not sure if it is still in production but you can still find it for $60 or so. Main interest in testing this unit is the use of the TPA3118 class D amplifier which is...
  18. amirm

Chord Huei Phono Preamp Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Chord Huei phono stage/pre-amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by a member. The Huei costs US $1,495. The Huei is one of the most exquisite and nicest implementation of the Chord design language: The unit weighs a ton and feels like...
  19. amirm

JBL 308P MKII Studio Monitor Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL 308P MKII 8-inch Monitor (powered speaker). I purchased this from a member a few months ago. New, they cost US $249. The 3 series look the same for good or bad: The large plastic waveguide is really in your face. Wish JBL would provide...
  20. amirm

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the NAD M33 Streaming Player with Purifi Eigentakt Amplification. It is kindly sent for testing from a member and has a retail cost of US $4,999. The NAD is part of their "Masters" series and has one of the best industrial designs of any audio...
Top Bottom