Search results

1. E

CEntrance Hifi-M8 V2 Review (DAC and headphone amplifier)

Can you publish your measurements in here or in your site?
  2. E

CEntrance Hifi-M8 V2 Review (DAC and headphone amplifier)

According to them the first units are being extensively tested before shipping. They had an issue with the first batch of boards, and they say they picked the good ones, fixed some others and tested them to ensure they work fine.
  3. E

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

Most likely your computer USB port has a lot of noise. You can try with one of those USB purifiers or try another port.
  4. E

In a logarithmic pot there's little change in the high attenuation region, at least less than in a linear pot. Also most logarithmic potentiometers are not truly logarithmic, they just use two different linear tapers, one for the first portion where they want little delta and other for the...
  5. E

It's true that all pots have that issue, but using a B-type potentiometer just makes things worse. See this example: Imagine the red part is your desired volume, with a B-type pot you need to turn the pot just a little bit and that makes it most likely to hit the imbalance of the pot. If...
  6. E

It will happen with high sensitivity headphones/iems. iems are usually way more sensitive than full size headphones.
  7. E

Volume level

I don't see any issue with that. It's a matter of impedance and efficiency.
  8. E

That was to be expected, but I think a lot of people just listinten too loud or have not so efficient headphones that don't care about the channel imbalance.
  9. E

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome HP-1 High-Performance Amp

I haven't seen serious measurements of his amps, but they are highly regarded on DIY communities, here's a schematic of one of the popular ones:
  10. E

@tomchr How does your design compares to those from Kevin Gilmore? As far as I understand your approach is closer to the one used in THX AAA amps than the one used in class A amps.
  11. E

I've seen companies use B-type pots to increase the perceived power of the unit. A lot of people see that it gets super loud within the first 1/4 of a turn and assume the amplifier has a lot of power. For practical purposes it becomes hard to get reasonable volume levels with efficient...
  12. E

It depends on the specific amp. A lot of amps have the volume pot as a first stage, in that case the only downside is that you are sending a low level signal through the interconnects. There are other amps that have a preamp stage at the input, others use the volume pot to adjust the gain...
  13. E

Tear down of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp

I don't think there's enough space to do that.
  14. E

What is the expected lifespan of those switching power supplies?
  15. E

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

The 789 has good quality parts, and generates almost no heat. If it survives 1 year it will most likely last a long time. The power supply looks cheap (and is cheap), it might die in a couple years, if it dies nicely then you can just buy another one, if it dies catastrophically then it might...
  16. E

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

I think the hard part is finding a case, if you can find a pre-made case then it should be trivial.
  17. E

Canjam SoCal Headphone and Audio Show 2019 Part 2

Problem with that is that you don't know how good the recording is, or how it's supposed to sound. The idea of using your own music is that you know what to expect. Essentially try to keep everything constant and just change the piece of gear you are testing.
  18. E

March Audio HPA1

If your computer does a reasonable job with digital volume control it should be fine. In some cases you can have the volume control in the DAC. So if your DAC has volume control you can send BP to the DAC and then the DAC will do stuff to control the volume. Most DACs are Delta-Sigma so it gets...
  19. E

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

More volume more power. Lower volumes require less power. So it depends what sensitivity the headphones have, but for most headphones 6W will be extremely loud.
Top Bottom