Search results

1. C

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Does anyone know if the standard video Chromecast (or Chromecast Ultra) up-converts or down-converts all audio to 48 Khz / 16-bit? From what I read somewhere (and in the past), that is what the standard Chromecast does, which means it doesn't do bit-perfect audio streaming like the CCA. The...
  2. C

Yes, you can certainly set up a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB DAC or even a Pi Board such as a Hifiberry DAC, but what about software for streaming via a Music Server to your Raspberry Pi setup? The great thing about the CCA is that you have a good selection of really good Android apps (I use...
  3. C

The frustrating thing is that Google is discontinuing the CCA because they see it as a redundant device (with all the smart speakers flooding the market right now with Google Assistant built-in). For me that isn't the point of the device at all; I could care less about having Google...
  4. C

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

The ICEPower-based SMSL amps (the A6 and A8) look nice, and it would be interesting to see how they measure, but they don't seem to be very good values, at least in terms of power output per unit price; the A6 is $450 USD for 50 watts per channel into 4 Ohms and the A8 is $600 USD for 125 watts...
  5. C

A few other Emotiva amps under $500 include the A-150 and A-300, which are class A/B stereo power amps, and the upcoming PA-1, which is a Class D monoblock power amp. I am most interested in the PA-1, as it uses an ICEPower amp module. I do wish they would make a stereo version, though...
  6. C

According to the ICEPower 200ASC data sheet, the amplifier module includes an input buffer; under the "Input/Output Interfaces" section, there is an "Input Stage" subsection that says, "The balanced input section provides signal buffering and anti-aliasing filtering." Figure 18 in the document...
  7. C

Yes, it would be interesting to compare the ICEPower-supplied measurements with Amir's.
  8. C

For around $310, you can build an ICEPower-based stereo power amplifier with the following: ICEPower 200ASC Class D amplifier module (with built-in power supply) for channel 1 ($130) ICEPower 200AC Class D amplifier module (bus-power-chained to the 200ASC) for channel 2 ($70) Ghent Audio...
  9. C

Well, that was the conventional wisdom, but more recently, there has been high praise for modern Class D designs, particularly class D amp modules from Hypex, ICEPower, Pascal Audio and others. Note that PS Audio's Stellar M700 power amp uses an ICEPower 700AS1 class D amp module, and...
  10. C

Awesome! Thanks Amir! If I ever get around to building an ICEPower 300AS1-based DIY amp using Ghent Audio's case and parts, I would love to loan it to you for testing....but being a lazy fella, I doubt I'll get around to building one anytime soon.
  11. C

I second this request. I've been thinking about replacing my early 90's vintage (and super inefficient) Adcom GFA-535 II amp with this one or possibly the kit version of the same amp. The kit version saves about 60 bucks, but in either case, this looks to be a great bang-for-the-buck amp...
  12. C

These are my thoughts exactly....thank you Blumlein! Amir: Any chance you can do a quick test using an Android app such as Hi-Fi Cast, BubbleUPnP, Media Monkey or any of the others mentioned by Blumlein?
  13. C

Given the above statement from johan, I am in agreement with Blumlein 88; I'd love to know if an Android app streaming to the CCA causes the same noise and distortion as the Chrome browser. I use an Android app (Hi-Fi Cast) to stream all of my music (stored on a NAS and served through a DLNA...
Top Bottom