Search results

1. B

Commonalities of the Modern-Day Snake Oil Salesman

Cosmetics Organic stuff (sometimes)
  2. B

Sending back the Vega and the Project Pre Box

My current setup is more based on the reality of my room/house, rather than a lack of appreciation for multichannel sound. I had a 5.1 setup as soon as they were feasibly available through cheap AVR's, and have missed those rear channels. I'm moving in a month to a place that is set up great...
  3. B

That is something the showcase does not have...multi-zone capability. I feed it with the Shield through the TV optical passthrough, which sync's with all the Chromeaudio pucks I've got scattered around, which is my workaround... It also does not have headphone output.
  4. B

It's in a 3.1 right now, and for the formats you mention, I would have to go through the Oppo BDP 93, use its 7.1 analog outs into the 7.1 analog in on the showcase. I got them as a package deal on eBay from the original owner for $520. I do agree that when the time comes for me to create the...
  5. B

This actually was quite a hassle until I worked it out a bit. You can use any monitor that will take a composite input (the single cable usually yellow RCA one...) Like often shows up on the front game input. Wii uses that input. You can also use component in, which is the 3-together cable...
  6. B

That's true, I realize I am giving up direct access to the decoding of sample rates higher than 24/192, and MQA, and I'm sure plenty more. Given the range of very slick software out there (Roon comes to mind, HQPro, HiFiPlayer, etc) that can optimize the stream before it gets to my 24/192...
  7. B

Paralleling DACs

Has anyone ever tried comparing DAC's by running the left channel from one and the right from the other simultaneously either to headphones or an amp? Obviously you'd have timing issues to straighten out, but I wonder what that would be like. Probably not very useful, but might be interesting.
  8. B

After deciding that I absolutely needed to have the vastly improved presence, clarity, soundstage, and rainbows and unicorns all my days that comes with a shiny new DAC, I poked around and bought a couple for home review. Obviously my 15+ year old Krell Showcase 7.1 DTS, THX ultra certified...
  9. B

My CD player died so I'm thinking of building some kind of streaming device setup. What is the most cost effective way of doing so?

See if you can track down a recently discontinued Chromeaudio. RCA out... Optical out also avail if you upgrade your receiver/preamp. They are back up as of earlier today for $15... They won't be around long. Easy...
  10. B

Commonalities of the Modern-Day Snake Oil Salesman

Some of these guys remind me of the old turbo encabulator vid:
  11. B

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

I'd throw a suggestion out there for the paradigm line of speakers. Their studio, reference and signature lines are quite good.
  12. B

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Glad you could track one down! Wow... That's a lot for the cable.. Funny that a plastic tube is as much as the device itself... But.... Any toslink will do... Some even include a pair of adapters so you aren't limited in using it only with mini-normal... I think these are $6 on eBay...
  13. B

Chromecast / Android TV Box vs. Blu-ray player with multimedia features ...

Well, none of them have unicorn hair frequency hyperclock femto modulators, so they can't be any good...
  14. B

You can also go analog from the little remote. Who knew?! Never tried either with powered speakers or headphones, so can't vouch...
  15. B

That's disappointing... Another option would be one of those HDMI audio extractor boxes. No idea how well they work. Ok, last option is the headphone out from the controller, which you could just not plan to use. You don't really need it other than for games, and it comes with the quite...
  16. B

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Well, given that with my recent hoarding based on them being discontinued, I have 9 total...6 of them being for $15... Not just useful for an outboard DAC, but what about all those old receivers you have sitting in closets? Plug one of these into an optical in and you've got a new network...
  17. B

If the only outputs your TV has are optical, then yes you'd need an outboard DAC. Are you sure it doesn't have even a miniplug for analog? I don't think I've seen a TV with no way to get analog out...?
  18. B

That's correct. It's a very slick little box. You can run HiRes through USB, completely bypassing it's internal Android processing... If you choose. It becomes a proper, quite flexible network endpoint for this use very nicely.
Top Bottom