Search results

1. S

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

I have one of those and it works well, but in my experience the audio players are fine even when throttled, and that was before the power management improvements. Keeping things cool is nice, but not strictly necessary unless you're doing something more cpu intensive.
  2. S

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

I second the '2GB is plenty' answer - they run on earlier Pi models which have less. There are loads of audio player images for the Pi, each with strengths and weaknesses that are as much about your requirements and personal preference as they are technical. Most of them are free, so you can...
  3. S

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

See earlier post which has more details. "Not included" means you're not buying a complete assembled board as shown. The shop page is quite clear about the options - none of them come with heatsink or the big reservoir caps, and the input opamps and output inductors are both optional. @brad pitt...
  4. S

What If want add my LP player to a pure digital setup.

@levimax both the Fono and the RME are USB devices - neither is a USB host - so you can't just connect them like that. @ezra_s If you're using LMS on the Pi you should be able to use the WaveInput plugin with the Fono
  5. S

Pi 4 Compute Module released, expansion board looks interesting

I guessed as much, but but it looked like it might lead somewhere interesting so I followed :)
  6. S

Pi 4 Compute Module released, expansion board looks interesting

https://hackaday.com/2020/10/19/new-raspberry-pi-4-compute-module-so-long-so-dimm-hello-pcie/ Some interesting extra details in there, such as a change of ethernet chip to one that supports the precision time protocol which opens up the possibility of using it for AVB like the Beaglebone Black.
  7. S

What wen't wrong with MP3?, Why wasn't MP2 pushed instead as the defacto codec?

Some more perspective - the Rio PMP300 launched with 32MB of flash and a SmartMedia slot. I don't know what the biggest card available at the time was, but they never got more than 128MB. It could play MP2 as well as MP3, but with 128kbps giving you ~1 minute per MB hardly anyone would make the...
  8. S

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

@SMSL-Mandy perhaps?
  9. S

Squeezebox/LMS volume adjustment and sound quality question

I don't think the tabulated summaries of the reviews include features like volume control, so you'll have to check the reviews or ask in the thread. I listed a few of the lower cost USB DACs with good performance that I think have volume control via USB, but I wouldn't swear to it and it may...
  10. S

What wen't wrong with MP3?, Why wasn't MP2 pushed instead as the defacto codec?

It's easy to forget how much less storage space was available and how slow networks were back when MP3 was getting its toe hold. When it was released hard drives were still measured in MB, fans were noisy and sound cards weren't very good. By the late '90s drives in the low GB range were...
  11. S

Weird Cars Thread

That reminds me of the Bimotor Scirocco although it looks conventional from the outside. I'm pretty sure someone stuck a pair of bike engines in the engine bay of one of the Seven-style kits too.
  12. S

ErinsAudioCorner

Definitely OT, but do you have any measurements for the Aurora's ADC/DAC performance?
  13. S

Starting with PiCorePlayer, under 'Squeezelite Settings' you should find 'ALSA Volume Control' - if you hit the 'more' at the end of the line it will show a list of the available controls that could be used, although the user interface could certainly be improved to stop you entering an invalid...
  14. S

If you typically listen at the lower end of the volume scale you can put an attenuator between the DAC and the amp. This will preserve your signal to noise ratio, and limits the output if the volume is ever accidentally set to maximum. I haven't checked the internals of the squeezelite software...
  15. S

Veklury Approved...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/fda-approves-remdesivir-for-covid-19-but-global-study-finds-it-doesnt-work/
  16. S

If you use a DAC that has volume control and exposes it to the Pi then you can configure PiCorePlayer to use that volume control. If not the volume control will be done in software. See this study for a fairly in depth analysis of software volume control, including measurements, and a Squeezebox...
  17. S

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

@hoverdonkey PCP is my preferred option. The default settings are usually all that's needed - if you don't have a specific problem then there's no reason to change them, and you're more likely to create a problem than improve anything. The settings are there so that you can override the...
  18. S

Making a streamer with Intel Nuc/how

Another option is the Material Skin plugin for LMS combined with the browser's 'add to home screen' function - it's not strictly an app but the experience is more or less like one. It's mentioned in their docs which are surprisingly detailed for a skin plugin.
  19. S

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

The Tone Board hardware volume thread has some details of earlier custom firmware work with similar hardware. The registers used to control THD compensation were discussed in the ESS hump investigation thread. There's a lot of info over at XMOS too - you'll need a free account to get the code...
  20. S

Toslink Spdif to Coaxial converter?

See posts #328 to #330 for out host's comments on a cheap adapter from monoprice.
Top Bottom