Search results

1. G

Review and Measurements of NAD M17 V2 Pre/Pro

Each of these receiver/processor reviews makes me feel slightly better about my 8802A. Slightly.
  2. G

Low-cost 4K streaming/switching solution w/2 ch audio?

Hi all, I am currently using a Marantz AV8802A as a processor in a 2 ch setup. It's not the right tool for the job: it's made to do 13.2 surround, in multiple zones, with inputs from a dozen devices. Is there a better, cheaper solution? I could sell the Marantz for ~$1500. Requirements: Input...
  3. G

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

I digitized the measurement graphs publicly available from Stereophile and Ascend Acoustics. I did not take any measurements myself.
  4. G

Review and Measurements of Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh

Hi Steve, all, Are you aware of any studies that look at this? I did one quick google and found this: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/d9bf/d506271a8c38cf0f77e6edfbffebf5e368b6.pdf but I'm well outside my area of expertise here. I'm not sure what an experiment to test your hypothesis...
  5. G

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

Quick update. I set these up on top of my existing speakers and played a couple of tracks over Spotify via the Marantz. EQ and room correction from the Marantz is off. I have tried Audyssey, which is questionable anyway, and it made the Studio 100s worse for TV/movies (5.1), if anything. I...
  6. G

Schiit Saga Grounding and Hum Issues?

If there's a safety issue, you recall them all, test them all, and fix the ones that need to be fixed. e.g., https://www.toyota.com/recall/takata http://fortune.com/2018/12/04/ground-beef-recall-expansion-salmonella-fears/ And the classic...
  7. G

Marantz AV8802A (dangit), Anthem MCA-50, Paradigm Studio 100 v2's. I expect a, um, audible difference. (The SO's rule is that I can buy whatever speakers I want, but they can't look like dementors from Harry Potter.)
  8. G

I picked up a pair of Sierra 2s for $750. Let's see how they sound :)
  9. G

Request for amp + dac combinations for HD800S

I am using an SMSL SU-8 DAC and THX 789 AAA amp. It's a great combo. The Topping DACs get a lot of love on this forum, but the reliability issues put me off. I haven't personally tried any of them. I also bought an Atom. It sounded the same (to my ears) as the THX 789; I couldn't tell a...
  10. G

Wirecutter reviews USB audio interfaces

One of my friends writes for that site; you're correct that the reviews are not as detailed as ASR. Very few reviews are! They're more like a modernized Consumer Reports than anything, and they focus on smaller items that CR does not. In the U.S., CR is famous for reviewing things like cars and...
  11. G

Volume control

I have a similar question. My desktop listening chain consists of: Some player with a volume control An OS with a volume control (Ubuntu Linux with Spotify or Audacious) A DAC with a volume control (SMSL SU-8) Speakers with a built-in amp and volume control As I understand it, it's best to set...
  12. G

DAC selection for home system....

I think there might be a typo here; I think you're using the 8805 that @amirm measured? Were you able to find specs (e.g., THD) for the Emotiva? I checked their site and may have missed it. It has the same DACs (AKM 4490) as the Marantz AV8802A, just more of them (I think). As has been covered...
  13. G

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Ah, got it. I had wondered if there was a bypass mode (some might call it "Pure Direct"); I couldn't find anything in the Marantz documentation.
  14. G

Recommendation for best DAC/Amp combo under $200

Lots of patience, and at least 20 posts about cases.
  15. G

@amirm, could that be tested, or was it already shipped back? Perhaps @Kal Rubinson can comment on his review. :-) https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-75 Based on that, it would seem like the Marantz was adding some distortion to the Benchmark DAC output.
  16. G

I bought an 8802A (used) to replace a 20yo receiver I was using as a processor. In general, given the high initial costs for these components, there's a robust used market. The 8802A was introduced at $4000, was reduced to $2500 when the 8805 came out, and sells used for ~$1500-2000. People do...
  17. G

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Here is an extremely non-Ikea shot of the business end of things, with 1 ft balanced interconnects. Blue Jeans Cables link: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm I went with the Belden 1800F.
  18. G

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Question on the filters: personal preference aside, it looks like the "Fast minimum" or "brickwall" filters are the "best", correct? (And few people, if any, would be able to hear a difference between Apodizing and Brickwall.)
  19. G

I definitely appreciate it! The Marantz 7xxx and 8xxx lines are pretty popular, and lots of other products (Denon) are likely extremely similar. A good question might be, what else would you measure that would provide a contrast? Do we expect any home theater pre/pro or receiver to measure...
Top Bottom