Search results

1. sofrep811

New set-up needing help

At some point I’ll run through iMac. But for now...just need to play through iPhone as DAP
  2. sofrep811

New set-up needing help

Besides speaker wires and RCA’s What cables do I need to make the following play music from iPhone XR? Topping D10 UNT Sys Preamp and into Parasound Zamp— (what cable or lightening converter cable do I need to run iPhone XR through this into my preamp?) im getting old and just can’t figure...
  3. sofrep811

iPhone + USB DACs any good? Bit-perfect? HD?

I just purchased a new IPhone XR. Using the Lightening to USB is my best option to run music through my phone Through a DAC? Any limitations I should know about? Thx in advance and glad to see ASR getting stronger while I’ve been gone.
  4. sofrep811

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

I'll try that. It's worth it due to the amount of difficult to get music.
  5. sofrep811

Question: Small Bookshelf or Center Speaker?

I would...but it would be too much. It was just a thought on the center speaker. One center is $40 and I think I'll try it, and if it doesn't work, just figure out something else down the line.
  6. sofrep811

No sir. Just thinking of getting a cheap center on Craigslist and using it separately. There's a B&W and Definitive Tech center speaker this guy has for sale, among many other things, and he'd sell for either under $80 each. I checked current prices and he's about 30% lower than I could find.
  7. sofrep811

Thanks. I will give it a try. From past reading there were A LOT of fails in the Apple forums. Also--I use an IMAC...and no longer have a laptop with MS.
  8. sofrep811

I live in a studio apartment, so I cannot blast anything, unless it's daytime. Low levels at night at about 9 O'clock on the volume dial. I picked up some cheap JBL Arc 10's and I hate them. My budget is small and my system even smaller-I'll list below. But I was thinking--maybe a $120 center...
  9. sofrep811

Agreed, Wombat. My concern is, and I had this happen with 480GB of 24/96 files and ISO rips of 80 SACDs accidently get deleted because my daughter saved a filed in a folder and tried to fix it. Told my daughter, NO big deal, I have it on my ext drive. This from 2008 and it's 2011 and my back-up...
  10. sofrep811

Not sure if this is posted in the 12 pages? Search didn't pull it up. https://www.xivero.com/de/hypothesis-paper-to-support-a-deeper-technical-analysis-of-mqa-by-mqa-limited/ Audiophile Review making sure their audience understands the fact vs fiction of MQA, and to basically just try it. I...
  11. sofrep811

Hardware Teardown of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp and Switcher

Thanks...I just don't want the sound colored. I'm down to rebuilding a system and this will allow me to not have to use the R/L gains on my Parasound Zamp for volume. I really liked Schiit when they began due to price and aesthetics. But reality hit me with their first offering and product to...
  12. sofrep811

DAC chip signature sound?

I owned a Magnavox and Phillps CD player with the TDA1541 chips. I look for them at second hand stores and garage sales, and TO MY ears they sound very warm, comparable to DSD. First listen I was actually taken back at the smoothness and overall softness, and almost too soft using my standards...
  13. sofrep811

Not all USB ports are born equal

Thx. I'm going to try a Raspberry Pi server build and the least I can do is put some parts in it that are supposed to be better than average. Hopefully,I didn't type too fast as I haven't read it yet.
  14. sofrep811

Hardware Teardown of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp and Switcher

I just purchased this tonight, then looked for reviews. Figured the worst would be it somehow deviating the sound quality by a big margin, but should work with the Parasound Zamp I bought for $100.
  15. sofrep811

Critical (Best) Music Tracks for Speaker and Room EQ Testing

From my journeys in audio and trying to learn more and more, I do know mic placement is a science. Glyn Johns' excellent book "Sound Man" only took me three days to read, but his insight to the old school recordings he did, and modern--was all about mic placement. The quote below is from the...
  16. sofrep811

Critical (Best) Music Tracks for Speaker and Room EQ Testing

Absolutely. Also less work involved as the album was fairly perfect sonic-wise from day one of release, and they skip some steps and avoid the budget killer of time. I get it and happy for it as it only helps keep good music alive. There must be a blog or something where someone has compared 3-4...
  17. sofrep811

Which audio companies have solid engineering chops?

Yeah, I don't know the appeal of the Dartzeel? I should of added--Nagra would be a brand I would buy first and foremost had I won the lottery. They're the only high end maker who I believe would be helping NASA with audio gear. haha. Plus they're the coolest looking.
  18. sofrep811

Which audio companies have solid engineering chops?

I've owned a lot of DACs, TTs, Disc players, Amps, speakers. IMHO--I've found the best buys to be in the pro audio arena. My beloved Benchmark (USB DAC1) was an eye opener after owning a Wavelength (brick), Aune A1, Fio, Schiit (bifrost), and Mtech USB DAC as far as DACs I remember liking that...
Top Bottom