Search results

1. E

Floor-standing under $3k?

IMO there is nothing wrong with that, so long as you accept that you’re likely going to want to spend more than the remaining $1800 on speakers and subwoofers at some point in your future. My point is simply aimed to people with a total long term budget constraint in this range: If you have $3k...
  2. E

If you really think your money is best spent with a 50/50 split between amplification and speakers, I would love to sell you some ‘audiophile AC power cables’ as well. In fact, maybe I can convince you to mortgage your house for them. It’s not that amplification doesn’t matter. It’s just that...
  3. E

In-room Measurements (REW): Ascend RAAL Sierra Towers, Horizon, 2EX, and Revel F206

Yeah I took some measurements of that, I'll post them a bit later when I'm at my laptop.
  4. E

In-room Measurements (REW): Ascend RAAL Sierra Towers, Horizon, 2EX, and Revel F206

I wonder then: How would the current state of science (psycho-acoustics) explain this "almost magical" trait of the RAAL tweeter? It seems almost everyone who owns them is in agreement that something special is there -- now I am left wondering why this is.
  5. E

Yes I definitely saw the KEF R3 vs Sierra 2EX blind listening test results, because I’m the one that performed and posted them :) I bought these Revel F206 because: 1. I wanted an additional pair of speakers for background music in my living room (vs my theater/media room). 2. The Revel F206...
  6. E

Thanks, I tried that as well. There's still a sense of spaciousness and clarity and tonal realism from the Ascend towers that seems a bit better than the Revels no matter how I EQ them. I played with speaker placement and toe-in as well, but still no major difference. On the other hand, as I...
  7. E

I’m trying this now. So far, I can’t get the Revels to sound as detailed and clear sounding without also sounding too harsh (but even if I look past the harshness it still is missing something). And no matter what I do, no EQ changes are making the Revel’s soundstage width open up to sound like...
  8. E

As you can see by my post above, I’m starting to think that Ascend is the significantly superior speaker in terms of sound quality / realism / clarity. But in my room without EQ, the Revel F206 is a clear winner because the bass quantity is so much stronger. As a result, I ended up preferring...
  9. E

What’s very interesting here is that the results of subjective listening tests depend very much on the bass differences. With no equalization and no subwoofer, I prefer the Revel F206 on most songs because the bass is more present. I recently tried equalizing the Ascend RAAL Towers to where the...
  10. E

Microphone is about 15 feet from the speakers, at the listening position simulating someone reclined while listening. Sound may be better sitting upright but I listen usually reclining so I tried to measure that way. This room has complex geometry due to cabinets installed along the walls by...
  11. E

Just completed a full set of in-room measurements in 6 listening positions (individually) for each of these speakers, with independent measurement sets for each individual speaker (left vs right). Speakers measured are: Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL) - Stereo Pair Ascend Sierra Horizon (RAAL) -...
  12. E

My used Revel F206s have arrived. They are excellent speakers, definitely up there with the best I’ve heard. I don’t think they’re better in sound quality than the Ascend RAAL Towers, but I like the Revel’s sound signature more in that there‘s more bass and mid-bass energy. If you’re planning...
  13. E

Another high recommendation here for the Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers. However if you’re interested in the Revel F206 as an option, I have a pair on the way and will be blind testing the Revel F206 vs Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers. (The Revel‘s MSRP is higher, but I’ve heard of some people who were...
  14. E

Most powerful, yet detailed sounding headphones you have heard.

While we're on this topic, I don't think it's possible for there to be a single accurate headphone, because everyone's outer ear is shaped so differently. Unless the target curve used to make headphones sound neutral (as if they were speakers outside our head) is specifically tailored to your...
  15. E

Yes, the blending and room effects you get from speakers is one of the two important factors for headphones to sound speaker-like. The other is being able to feel the tactile/haptic sensation of the sound (particularly the lower frequencies) on your skin, which some companies are trying to...
  16. E

I know. I only wanted to mention my experience here, so perhaps you don’t replicate my fruitless search for a speaker-like headphone that simply doesn’t exist. I’ve owned dozens of headphones, and at this point I’ve just accepted that it’s not possible.
  17. E

I must not have explained well because I don’t think you’re disagreeing with me. Basically I was trying to say that by my interpretation, I bet what OP really wants is the tactile sensariom of low frequencies that you’ll only get from speakers. I agree with you that headphones are generally...
  18. E

As someone who got into hifi headphones before getting into hifi speakers, I've owned or extensively auditioned most of the major flagships. And I think I know exactly what you're looking for. I'm surprised nobody else seems to have mentioned this. To give you the sensation you're looking for...
  19. E

So closed box speakers are pretty much a dead?

And ironically, it seems the primary reason for ports (or passive radiators) is to increase efficiency/SPL in these lower bass frequencies without increasing cabinet size — which if you’re right, is precisely the frequencies where the distortion will be most audible.
Top Bottom