Search results

1. SIY

Serious question-How do you deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE?

So you actually set the strawman on fire. Cool!
  2. SIY

ATI AT522NC Stereo Amplifier Review

Oh, I absolutely did understand your point. But for reviewing purposes, I use a Pareto approach. :cool: That said, if I had a PowerCube, I'd be using the hell out of it.
  3. SIY

Gracias! I've added a couple speakers to my list of "stuff I never want in my house." It's odd not to show the impedance in the measurements- I wonder why they didn't do it in this case?
  4. SIY

Well, as with everything else, it depends. If I am advertising an amp as capable of driving every single commercial speaker out there, then, sure, how it handles the load of incompetently designed speakers is important. But that comes with a significant cost penalty, and 100% of the users...
  5. SIY

I've seen nasty impedance magnitude dips like that in a few incompetently engineered high end speakers (like some of the Infinitys of yesteryear as well as Wilsons). Never seen that in any of the ESLs I've measured (Quads, Acoustats)- typically, the impedance falls with increasing frequency, but...
  6. SIY

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

The basic design error which resulted in excess hum does, though.
  7. SIY

8. SIY

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Of course. The story is what they're buying. "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired." - Jonathan Swift
  9. SIY

Serious question-How do you deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE?

I wouldn't be using someone as a test subject who can't distinguish between A and B with peeking. There's no shortage of people who claim (with peeking) to hear those differences, so it's not like there's a limited pool to draw from.
  10. SIY

Then you will not hear a difference with peeking, either.
  11. SIY

The part I highlighted in red is not generally true. If the controls are double blind, there is usually no reason that the test subject should be unaware of what's being compared. The important thing, as you've said, is that the test subject AND the tester be unaware of which of the choices is...
  12. SIY

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

If he's not presenting either measurements or controlled listening data, then either he may indeed not know what he's talking about or he does know what he's talking about and what he's talking about is hype and marketing, not technical reality. I had a lot of issues with ground loop-induced...
  13. SIY

Current Go to Value Dac

If you don't need extra inputs... the Apple dongle, $9.
  14. SIY

March Audio P451 Purifi Mono Blocks

I have now tested four amplifiers in a row that would require a APx555 B series to determine their distortion. Can you say, "solved problem"?:D
  15. SIY

Audio Research D300 Power Amplifier Review

100% agreed. After frequency response, this is the single most important power amp measurement- and hardly anyone (including me) has them as part of the review process.
  16. SIY

On Class D Amplifiers Measurements

Subjective is NOT the same as "totally uncontrolled with peeking." This is the latter and absolutely worthless.
  17. SIY

Why is it when testing the difference between 2 DAC/AMPs it only becomes apparent after you have listed to One for a while?

Doing things blind and level-matched doesn't preclude you from listening to each selection for an hour and deciding if things changed or they didn't. "If you can hear it without peeking, you can hear it. If you can't hear it without peeking, you can't hear it."
  18. SIY

Audio Research D300 Power Amplifier Review

It is quite expensive, like $20k or so if memory serves. I can jigger the APx1701 (under $10k) to do something similar, but it’s limited to 100 watts.
Top Bottom