• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

F1308

Major Contributor
View attachment 169864
Is that an Altar to the Audio Gods? I can almost hear the votives and smell the incense burning…
Regardless, I think perhaps adding some toe-in, even the slightest, might most probably bring a notorious audio improvement... Try it, then select La fabulosa guitarra de Paco de Lucía , push play, proceed with further tiny adjustments....loop till satisfied...and let us know !!!!

oscar_dziki

... where do we go from here?
iu

F1308

Major Contributor
Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
It seems to me that this wire is unlikely to be useful. Here you would rather need a cable with a female XLR plug.
Ohhh....male/female... didn't realize it, thanks.
I need female XLR to connect my keyboard synth to PA5.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning

pickyAudiophile

I was thinking one was better than another for some reason, without realising the male/female connector....Thanks.
In general I appreciate the breeze of fresh air these highly innovative PRC based manufacturers brings into the market for audio gear. - But honestly I don't think the world needs their "audiophile" overprized cable assortiment, too.
As I posted days ago, there are high quality "western" brand cables available, skilledfully engineered by long-established manufacturers who care for their staff, pay taxes, care for the environment, offer lasting value, service and warranty to their customers. - While funnily asking for less money than Topping, iBasso, SMSL, you name them.
https://www.adamhall.com/shop/us-en...cables/microphone-cables/3388/5-star-bfv-0050 or
https://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/Microphone-Cable/Mikrofonkabel-Stage-22-Highflex-SG05.html or maybe
https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cim-fv and others.
("Western" cable industry's stubborn refusal to introduce new plug & cable types like e/g 4.4mm Pentaconn or dedicated headphone cables is a different story.)

howard416

Nice, How?
Just play a sine wave signal (you can download .wav files for this) through your audio chain, and measure the output voltage across the speaker terminals at the back of the amp (with speakers connected as usual - don't do this without a load connected). Be careful not to short anything out.

As long as your source and load are consistent (same signal input, no changes to upstream gain/volume controls, and same speaker), as long as the output voltage to speakers is the same, the amp gain will be matched. After this, just make sure never to touch your amp volume knobs again.

Unless we're talking about something OTHER than matching the levels for multiple amps? If you want multiple (e.g. surround) speakers to be dB-matched, that's a different story.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the D-01 cover glued?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Looks like the output devices are under the big heatsink and the pwm generation is under the topping branded shield.
No speaker protection relay by the look of it.

Last edited:

pickyAudiophile

While pondering about the layout, $349 aked for that level of build quality alone (not taking into account R&D) does not seem justified at least. It's like a throwback to their early TDA7298, TPA3116 amps from maybe 2014. No comparison to clean contemporary builds by Gustard e/g.

Top Bottom