• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flexible Output versions: Unbalanced (RCA), Balanced (TRS), Digital (Future)

Digital Audio Output Connectivity4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio
4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio
4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio, SPDIF& TOSLINK

I'm confused, does it have digital out? They do say a future digital output, but the rear panel suggests that currently it does not.

In the newsletter they show that it will be a separate product that will be released later.

1638453215165.png

Michael

nothingman

Now hopefully miniDSP can put some effort into Dirac Live Bass Control—or at the very least indicate to its users if it’s even possible. Same goes for Tidal Connect, and delivering Spotify Connect HiFi when it arrives if it needs additional work beyond the existing plugin. I’ve never been interested in Roon, but I wanted this monkey off their back because it’s something they’ve been hammered on repeatedly for well over a year.

nothingman

Also, completely hilarious that after all this time, miniDSP would jump ahead and tell people before the Roon servers were updated to accept the SHD series, so now their forum has three posts in a row saying “mine still shows as uncertified, what’s going on?.” miniDSP is of course asleep in Hong Kong currently.

Why in the world didn’t they wait a single day until they verified themselves that Roon servers were accepting the SHD, then make the big announcement? After all these headaches? Because it’s miniDSP.

Flexible Output versions: Unbalanced (RCA), Balanced (TRS), Digital (Future)

Digital Audio Output Connectivity4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio
4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio
4 x Outputs (Post DSP)
on USB Audio, SPDIF& TOSLINK

I'm confused, does it have digital out? They do say a future digital output, but the rear panel suggests that currently it does not.
I understand that for now it’s only the analog out versions (2 options, single ended and balanced).
In a near future they will release the digital only version!
Anyway, it’s great news, as the price reduction is considerably!

Keened

Forum Donor
Oh my!

The Flex is the perfect upgrade to the 2x4HD series and hits the sweet spot for most better than the Studio from what I can see.

It looks like the major differences from the SHD are:
  • TRS instead of XLR (which make sense: takes up less space in the chassis, avoids costly licensed connectors, easier to integrate into an unbalenced system and is just the better overall solution if you care about the balenced audio part rather than the aesthetic/tactile sensation of the XLR),
  • No built in streaming capability (i.e. they don't have to support every service under the sun and people can buy their own raspberry pi.)
  • Native LDAC bluetooth capabilities which is an excellent addition
I think it has the same DAC but can't say for sure since no name is included, so I suspect it will measure the same as the SHD but only Amir can say :)

This looks perfect for a desktop stack with a headphone amp and is pretty much everything I would want it seems. To order without measurements or not....

So the best value on the market from what I can see now is Digital source using Toslink -> MiniDSP Flex -> Headphone amp w/ pass through -> Topping PA5. Unbalance the 3/4 outputs for wireless subs and you'll be sitting pretty on a 2.2 system with 2 analogue in for a mic/vinyl input.

My god, if they offer the DLBC upgrade...

holbob

So basically exactly the same as the ddrc24 except oled screen, maybe a better performing dac, and 1 extra digital input. Is that worth the upgrade?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

kokoon

Forum Donor
Indeed,
I think it has the same DAC but can't say for sure since no name is included
The product pages for flex units are up, it's the exact same dac.

Edit: scratch that, I was actually looking at DSP, it doesn't specify the DAC.

Last edited:

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’d been looking at the SHD to serve as an all-in-one preamp (with analog in), 2-way crossover and room correction device.
Is there any reason why I wouldn’t get the Flex instead?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d been looking at the SHD to serve as an all-in-one preamp (with analog in), 2-way crossover and room correction device.
Is there any reason why I wouldn’t get the Flex instead?

Reasons to get a SHD: You want a built-in streamer, the option to use both digital and analog outputs, the option to use both balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs and/or you want an AES input.

To me the SHD pretty much does it all where the Flex is a more targeted product depending on your use case (unbalanced analog out vs balanced analog out vs digital out).

Michael

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
When I saw this in the newsletter I got excited:
1638481706398.png

Unfortunately I have a Neo2 though so I can't take part.

Oh well I should be able to control the volume through Roon using RooDial now that certification is here.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Reasons to get a SHD: You want a built-in streamer, the option to use both digital and analog outputs, the option to use both balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs and/or you want an AES input.

To me the SHD pretty much does it all where the Flex is a more targeted product depending on your use case (unbalanced analog out vs balanced analog out vs digital out).

Michael
Makes sense. In my case I don’t really need a streamer (assuming I can connect the device to my Mac mini and it’ll show up in roon as a dac). And I only need analog balanced in and out.

I guess we don’t yet know how it measures.

dsnyder0cnn

I guess we don’t yet know how it measures.
Hmm, there are some measurements at the start of this thread…

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Hmm, there are some measurements at the start of this thread…

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant measurements of the new “flex”

kokoon

Forum Donor
Where do you see that? I do not see the AK4490 called out anywhere. Even if it uses the same DAC IC I imagine that the layout is completely different as a result of the different form factor.

Michael
Yeah I messed up, it doesn't specify the DAC, was looking at DSP.

Top Bottom