• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
New DAC/DSP with Dirac Live option from miniDSP.....

282A0060.jpg

I've been tempted by an SHD or SHD Studio for a while, but suspected that they might release something new. I've pre-ordered the balanced version with Dirac.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh - that is interesting. Been looking at preamp options for whenever the 200+W topping amp arrives.

This might be it. Hopefully @amirm will get one to be measured. Bluetooth included. Fantastic.

youpassbutter

Forum Donor
Of course this comes out a week after I buy the SHD

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is definitely an interesting option as it solves a few of the major issues with the 2X4HD, namely lack of balanced outputs and lack of display. It is also spec'd with a substantially better ADC and DAC and in my experience miniDSP meets their specs.

I do wish the new product was something with 8 channels but the digital output version of this (not yet released) would make a good front end to a pro audio 8 channel DAC using software DSP. Here is to hoping the digital output version is less expensive.

Michael

dwkdnvr

Apparently a slightly stripped down SHD, omitting the streamer and making Dirac optional. I use the SHD in our entertainment system, and was mulling over getting a 2nd one for our living room - partially to improve the sound there, and partially out redundancy in case something went wrong with the SHD. I may well jump on this one - since I'm not actually using Dirac at the moment, I could sub this into the main system in a pinch if needed, and it has all I'd need for the living room.

aschen

Looks like a good product and well priced especially if you don't want dirac. Seems like a big leap over 2x4 if it measures like the SHD.

Full size SHD still has quite a bit more I0 so no regrets on purchasing mine.

gmoney

As someone who wants Dirac, I'm debating between this and one of the Dirac Live capable receivers (Onkyo/Pioneer) that released recently for $999-1099. I think the Flex's price increase over a DDRC-24 is worth the better DAC and physical controls.

The receiver really simplifies things though. Just eARC and go.

TimW

Major Contributor
Damn! I just got a C-DSP 8x12 to use in a desktop setup. It's meant for car audio so it's not ideal but I'm working on a diy controller project to make it work well for my needs. The Flex would have been a better fit though.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you find details on the DAC used? I searched the specs, owners manual and product brief and found no DAC details. is the DAC part of the Analog Devices Fixed point DSP SHARC ADSP21489?

I do not know the specific ADC or DAC ICs, just the specs from the product brief.

1638461665182.png

The SHARC does not have a built in DAC, although it is interesting that they are using fixed point for this product as all other SHARC based miniDSPs have been floating point.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know the specific ADC or DAC ICs, just the specs from the product brief.

View attachment 169645

The SHARC does not have a built in DAC, although it is interesting that they are using fixed point for this product as all other SHARC based miniDSPs have been floating point.

Michael

Actually seems like fixed point may be a typo as the manual shows 32 bit floating point.

Michael

TimW

Major Contributor
The BT antenna is encompassed by a block with the label Audio & Control like the USB connection:
1638462997537.png

I wonder if they will add the option to control the Flex using an app and BT so that you won't need a WI-DG.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New DAC/DSP with Dirac Live option from miniDSP.....

View attachment 169633

I've been tempted by an SHD or SHD Studio for a while, but suspected that they might release something new. I've pre-ordered the balanced version with Dirac.
Looks interesting to me. I've been eyeing the SHD Studio, but this might to as well since I don't need the Volumio streamer.

However I might prefer the "Digital version", (no analog output), alluded to in the Specifications; I have a nice Topping D90 DAC so could do without the Flex' built-in DAC.

dwkdnvr

Looks interesting to me. I've been eyeing the SHD Studio, but this might to as well since I don't need the Volumio streamer.

However I might prefer the "Digital version", (no analog output), alluded to in the Specifications; I have a nice Topping D90 DAC so could do without the Flex' built-in DAC.
If it follows the path of the SHD Studio, the 'digital output' version also omits the analog input. Not a problem if you're purely digital, but something to be aware of.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
More than a stripped down SHD, this is more like a refined/upgraded version of the 2x4 HD + DDRC-24. It has the same processor as the 2x4 HD, in fact, it uses the same 2x4 HD plugin but also you can upgrade it to Dirac Live and have both, 2x4 HD plugin + Dirac Live plugin and switch between them, something that you can't do with the SHD as the SHD only works with Dirac Live. Also finally we get a balanced version of 2x4 HD with the miniDSP Flex balanced. The Flex still not available. miniDSP is taking pre orders right now and it will ship by Feb 2022.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I couldn't pull the trigger on shd. This could be perfect for my 2.2 setup. I am looking for something better than my 2x4 HD, but with balance inputs/outputs. I do wish Topping also have a similar product soon....

Top Bottom