• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you know English?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my kid's kindergarten there was a teacher with good english speaking capabilities who was interacting with the kids just in english, to help them in its learning. In the backyard there was a vegetable garden, but the teacher didn't know the name of the specific tools in english, nor any of the parents, including myself.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I came across this last year. As a native English speaker, I never thought about this. This seems to be natural with most native English speakers. It is never taught in school. There is no real rule, but it sounds "natural".

Which aspects of English grammer get taught in schools in England seems to be a matter of educational fashion, and perhaps the pet frustrations of individual teachers.

Offler

I started to learn english by myself when I was five. I pass through school system and I was lucky to have good teachers. When I was about 18 I realized I have trouble with slang and accents, so I sought a ways how to fix it, and it was worth it.

Two years ago I visited a standup comedy with comedians from Ireland. Me and friend of mine were laughing all evening, completely in stitches, while most of the audience was not getting the jokes :D

I could even recognize that comedians were toning down their natural accents and they had to give more clues. :D

The english taught in schools is considered to be "really good" by native speakers, sometimes mistaken for posh english or so called "atlantic accent" which is usually in TV, movies and nowhere else. But you take person like this, drop him anywhere where english is actually being used and he is completely lost.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I came across this last year. As a native English speaker, I never thought about this. This seems to be natural with most native English speakers. It is never taught in school. There is no real rule, but it sounds "natural".

Gosh, I do love the example from the link: “Every Sunday, my grandma makes an Italian big meal,” (versus "a big Italian meal").

The author is dead right, nobody says the former -- at least not under usual circimstance.

In case of a big Italian meal, "big" qualifies the combination of Italian + meal. In case of an Italian big meal, the nuance is that "Italian" qualifies the big + meal combination. The second, i.e. originally cited, phrase implies that somehow Italians have special sort of "big meal" that of their own unique variety.

Too subtle you sy? But the fact is that "Italian big meal" just doesn't sound right.

Note however: in English if a comma is inserted after an adjective, that adjective no longer qualifies the following adjective+noun combination but only the noun.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
England is my city

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of people in this thread have commented on their languages histories, so I'll get in my two cents.

Of course I'm a native English speaker and can command a decent vocabulary of both understanding and usege -- good for me, but what I'm ashamed of is my lack of fluency in French, that is more specifically French Canadian French.

I was born & raise in the Province of Quebec in the English environment that existed over 50 years ago. In their arrogance many "Anglophones" never bothered to learn French, including members of my family.

So speaking of arrogance, in my English Protestant secondary school, my French language teacher, (an Englishman from Britain), upon hearing someone using a typical French Canadian phrase in a French Canadian accent, said "There may be nothing wrong with the French Canadian language but we don't teach it here". What a grotesquely stupid attitude but quite prevalent in those days, fortunately not longer.

I left Quebec for Ontario in my early 20s and never did learn, as I ought, a proper command of (Canadian) French.

Last edited:

KellenVancouver

A lot of people in this thread have commented on their languages histories, so I'll get in my two cents.

Of course I'm a native English speaker and can command a decent vocabulary of both understanding and usege -- good for me, but what I'm ashamed of is my lack of fluency in French, that is more specifically French Canadian French.

I was born & raise in the Province of Quebec in the English environment that existed over 50 years ago. In their arrogance many "Anglophones" never bothered to learn French, including members of my family.

So speaking of arrogance, in my English Protestant secondary school, my French language teacher, (an Englishman from Britain), upon hearing someone using a typical French Canadian phrase in a French Canadian accent, said "There may be nothing wrong with the French Canadian language but we don't teach it here". What a grotesquely stupid attitude but quite prevalent in those days, fortunately not longer.

I left Quebec for Ontario in my early 20s and never did learn, as I ought, a proper command of (Canadian) French.
First of all, it is NEVER too late to learn a new language, so get busy! I'd also say that if you do pursue French then maybe you lucked out not learning Canadian French as opposed to an opportunity to learn Parisian French. While in France I asked a local if they were attracted to Canadian French the way Americans seem to be generally attracted to British English, and he emphatically said no. In fact, he said people in France can't stand the Canadian French accent because it is so coarse. Likewise, while in London I asked a Britisher the same question, whether people in England were attracted to American English accents. Again, the answer was absolutely not. He said people in England are rather repulsed by American English "low class" accents. So maybe this is just a common European attitude toward former "colonialists"? Interestingly, the opposite was true in India where they thought the American English accent was highly attractive. Go figure...

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, it is NEVER too late to learn a new language, so get busy! I'd also say that if you do pursue French then maybe you lucked out not learning Canadian French as opposed to an opportunity to learn Parisian French. While in France I asked a local if they were attracted to Canadian French the way Americans seem to be generally attracted to British English, and he emphatically said no. In fact, he said people in France can't stand the Canadian French accent because it is so coarse. Likewise, while in London I asked a Britisher the same question, whether people in England were attracted to American English accents. Again, the answer was absolutely not. He said people in England are rather repulsed by American English "low class" accents. So maybe this is just a common European attitude toward former "colonialists"? Interestingly, the opposite was true in India where they thought the American English accent was highly attractive. Go figure...
Yeah, well, no. I would rather have learned French Canadian French because -- in a way -- it's was or ought to have been part of my heritage as a Quebecer to speak the language of the place.

I acknowledge what you say is probably true, and I know that French Canadians have a love/hate for Parisian, (a.k.a. Metropolitan, a.k.a. Île-de-France) French. When it is spoken to them, they consider it arrogant and condescending.

Parisian French was, of course, what I was taught going to school. Unfortunately it was poorly taught; it was taught like Latin and very little emphasis was given to spoken language. Upon finishing university before moving to Toronto, I enrolled in a spoken French course given by a French Canadian and was making great progress; unfortunately I quit moving to take up a job in. T.O.

In Toronto learning French was not a prior plus I would have had to find a French Canadian teacher for it to be relevant. Today, many years later, I regret it, but it's still not top priority and where I am it would still be difficult to find a French Canadian instructor.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Likewise, while in London I asked a Britisher the same question, whether people in England were attracted to American English accents. Again, the answer was absolutely not. He said people in England are rather repulsed by American English "low class" accents. So maybe this is just a common European attitude toward former "colonialists"? Interestingly, the opposite was true in India where they thought the American English accent was highly attractive. Go figure...
Said Britisher in London would probably have said the same about most British regional accents too, so don't read too much into it. Like or dislike for a particular regional accent is very much more personal than they suggested.

kschmit2

Even if you know English, you might not know it all:

British vs. American Vocabulary​

British EnglishAmerican English
anti-clockwisecounter-clockwise
articulated lorrytrailer truck
autumnautumn, fall
barristerattorney
bill (restaurant)bill, check
biscuitcookie
block of flatsapartment building
bonnet (car)hood
bonnet (clothing)hat
boottrunk
car parkparking lot
caravantrailer
chemist's shopdrugstore, pharmacy
chest of drawersdresser, chest of drawers, bureau
chipsfries, French fries
cinema, themovies, the
clothes pegclothespin
coffincoffin, casket
courgettezucchini
crispspotato chips
crossroadsintersection; crossroads (rural)
cupboardcupboard (in kitchen); closet (for clothes etc)
diversiondetour
drawing-pinthumbtack
drink-drivingdrunk driving
driving licencedriver's license
dual carriagewaydivided highway
dummy (for baby)pacifier
dustbingarbage can, trash can
dustmangarbage collector
engineengine, motor
estate agentreal estate agent
estate carstation wagon
filmfilm, movie
flatapartment, flat, studio
flat tyreflat tire
flyoveroverpass
gear-levergearshift
gearbox (car)transmission
Girl GuideGirl Scout
ground floorground/first floor
handbaghandbag, purse, shoulder bag
high streetmain street
holidayvacation
hood (car)convertible top
jamjam, preserves
jugjug, pitcher
juggernaut18-wheeler
liftelevator
lorrytruck, semi, tractor
madcrazy, insane
main roadhighway
maizecorn
mathsmath
motorbikemotorcycle
motorwayfreeway, expressway
motorwayhighway, freeway, expressway, interstate highway, interstate
nappydiaper
naughts and crossestic-tack-toe
pants, underpantsunderpants, drawers
pavementsidewalk
perambulator (formal for pram)baby carriage
pet hatepet peeve
petrolgas, gasoline
Plough, theBig Dipper, the
pocket moneyallowance
postmail
postboxmailbox
postcodezip code
postmanmailman, mail carrier, letter carrier
pubbar
public toiletrest room, public bathroom
railwayrailroad
return (ticket)round-trip
reverse chargecollect call
ring roadbeltway, freeway/highway loop
road surfacepavement, blacktop
roundabouttraffic circle, roundabout
rubbereraser
rubbishgarbage, trash
rubbish-bingarbage can, trashcan
saloon (car)sedan
shopshop, store
silencer (car)muffler
single (ticket)one-way
solicitorlawyer, attorney
spannerwrench
sweetscandy
taxitaxi, taxi cab
tea toweldish towel
telly (informal), TVtelevision, TV
third-party insuranceliability insurance
timetableschedule
tincan
toll motorwaytoll road, turnpike
torchflashlight
trouserspants, trousers
tube (train)subway
underground (train)subway
vestundershirt
waistcoatvest
walletwallet, billfold
wellington bootsrubber boots, rain boots
whiskywhisky/whiskey
windscreenwindshield
zipzipper

KellenVancouver

Even if you know English, you might not know it all:

British vs. American Vocabulary​

British EnglishAmerican English
anti-clockwisecounter-clockwise
articulated lorrytrailer truck
autumnautumn, fall
barristerattorney
bill (restaurant)bill, check
biscuitcookie
block of flatsapartment building
bonnet (car)hood
bonnet (clothing)hat
boottrunk
car parkparking lot
caravantrailer
chemist's shopdrugstore, pharmacy
chest of drawersdresser, chest of drawers, bureau
chipsfries, French fries
cinema, themovies, the
clothes pegclothespin
coffincoffin, casket
courgettezucchini
crispspotato chips
crossroadsintersection; crossroads (rural)
cupboardcupboard (in kitchen); closet (for clothes etc)
diversiondetour
drawing-pinthumbtack
drink-drivingdrunk driving
driving licencedriver's license
dual carriagewaydivided highway
dummy (for baby)pacifier
dustbingarbage can, trash can
dustmangarbage collector
engineengine, motor
estate agentreal estate agent
estate carstation wagon
filmfilm, movie
flatapartment, flat, studio
flat tyreflat tire
flyoveroverpass
gear-levergearshift
gearbox (car)transmission
Girl GuideGirl Scout
ground floorground/first floor
handbaghandbag, purse, shoulder bag
high streetmain street
holidayvacation
hood (car)convertible top
jamjam, preserves
jugjug, pitcher
juggernaut18-wheeler
liftelevator
lorrytruck, semi, tractor
madcrazy, insane
main roadhighway
maizecorn
mathsmath
motorbikemotorcycle
motorwayfreeway, expressway
motorwayhighway, freeway, expressway, interstate highway, interstate
nappydiaper
naughts and crossestic-tack-toe
pants, underpantsunderpants, drawers
pavementsidewalk
perambulator (formal for pram)baby carriage
pet hatepet peeve
petrolgas, gasoline
Plough, theBig Dipper, the
pocket moneyallowance
postmail
postboxmailbox
postcodezip code
postmanmailman, mail carrier, letter carrier
pubbar
public toiletrest room, public bathroom
railwayrailroad
return (ticket)round-trip
reverse chargecollect call
ring roadbeltway, freeway/highway loop
road surfacepavement, blacktop
roundabouttraffic circle, roundabout
rubbereraser
rubbishgarbage, trash
rubbish-bingarbage can, trashcan
saloon (car)sedan
shopshop, store
silencer (car)muffler
single (ticket)one-way
solicitorlawyer, attorney
spannerwrench
sweetscandy
taxitaxi, taxi cab
tea toweldish towel
telly (informal), TVtelevision, TV
third-party insuranceliability insurance
timetableschedule
tincan
toll motorwaytoll road, turnpike
torchflashlight
trouserspants, trousers
tube (train)subway
underground (train)subway
vestundershirt
waistcoatvest
walletwallet, billfold
wellington bootsrubber boots, rain boots
whiskywhisky/whiskey
windscreenwindshield
zipzipper
I'm surprised that list didn't include British "fag" for American "smoke" (cigarette).

jsilvela

People in Spain go gaga over Argentinian accent. We love it, and to us it sounds much more musical, and also more intellectual.
I read somewhere that the *rhotic* pronunciation in America is apparently more historically accurate. I.e. the soft "r" was a later development in upper-crust England.

Top Bottom