• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Heesung

Your DACs have 'preamp functionality' since they have volume control. The PA5 needs 2.5V to reach max power and those DACs seem to output 4V or more so no problem there.
Thanks!!
As I understand, it seem All DACs that have a volume control can be said to have preamp function even though they are not described as such.
Then, what's the use of all the expensive preamps except for some additional inputs?
If I add Topping A90 or Pre90 between my DAC (Mytek Liberty) and PA5, does this make sound quality better or worse?

FeliZ

I use a chord Mojo as a Dac and Preamp, whats the best Option to connect the PA5?

High quality cinch to Mono XLR?

P.s
I am also a Professional reed player. Could also get some data from Concerts and tours

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
5 watts on a set of LS50s is plenty loud when adjacent to your desk. I know from experience. I took SPL readings from dead center, front row Cleveland Orchestra one year and average SPL was 60-70, with occasional peaks into the 90s. I could easily replicate that at my desk with a little Nuforce Icon 20 watt thing.

This Topping Amp at 60 watts with LS50s will get you into high 90s continuous if my math is right...which no one should listen that loud...but would suggest it will handle transient peaks, at reasonable average levels, just fine. If you get into a larger room with greater distance from speaker to ear, then probably yeah, want something more.

I just want a matching form factor to my D/A30Pro or I'd have already pulled the trigger.

Sub management would be nice though.

KEF LS50 -> 84 dB and 4 Ohms.

80 dBSPL continuous is very high volume at home. I listen to very good recordings with high DR, 15 dB or more -> I want 95 dBSPL peak at 3 meters.

Topping PA has enough watts. Sound quality with acoustic recordings? I do not know, but the power is not a problem. 100 watts at THD 0.1% (-60 dB).

SPL-KEF-Q100.png

ABall

Forum Donor
I use a chord Mojo as a Dac and Preamp, whats the best Option to connect the PA5?

High quality cinch to Mono XLR?

P.s
I am also a Professional reed player. Could also get some data from Concerts and tours
The topping requires over 2v for full output, it has balanced inputs which would easily achieve this from many DACs but the chord is 3.5mm stereo so it probably wont be ideal. Theres figures into headphone loads way bellow 1v, im not sure how well it would perform into 10k.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then, what's the use of all the expensive preamps except for some additional inputs?
If I add Topping A90 or Pre90 between my DAC (Mytek Liberty) and PA5, does this make sound quality better or worse?
Beyond additional inputs and SOTA headphone amp (A90) no reason.

Well, if you get a Purifi or Benchmark amp and want to run it with the lowest gain setting you need something like 10V to get max power..

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
In a 2-channel digital, none!
In fact, I didn't like the sound coming from my very old Philips pre/amp combo, always well behind the one coming from a Denon receiver, until I removed, with the greatest caution and while being very much worried about the aerobatic maneuver I was about to perform, the preamplifier and.... CANNOT BE !!!! WHAT ????: crystal clear, better contoured, effortles dynamics, outstanding stage... pinpointed instruments...

Last edited:

D700

@maty nice calculators on doctorproaudio site, thanks for sharing..and for double checking the math.

If Topping doubles the power...or creates mono blocks...or both...with XLR inputs...well, going to get interesting in high end audio.

F1308

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Philips F4238.jpg
    Philips F4238.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 137

F1308

Major Contributor
@maty nice calculators on doctorproaudio site, thanks for sharing..and for double checking the math.

If Topping doubles the power...or creates mono blocks...or both...with XLR inputs...well, going to get interesting in high end audio.
A little help for such a development might come precisely from PA5 selling well...

Dilliw

Any experience with this to pair the PA5? Balanced out for the amp plus RCA out for the sub, CSR8675 gives you LDAC and APTx-HD, and dual 9038 DAC chips. Sold in the same Apos store.

xrk971

Audio Company
The specs for XQ-100 says balanced output with 4v (I assume it is rms). The PA5 needs 2vrms so this looks good.

One just needs to look at the specs and look for “Balanced Output” and minimum 2.0Vrms (about 5.7Vpp) output swing capability.

D700

A little help for such a development might come precisely from PA5 selling well...
I bought A/D30Pro stack assuming I'd need XLR to feed an Amp or power speakers...then E/L50s were released and I learned about TRS. If I were buying new, I'd stick a fork in an E50/L50/P5 stack and call it a day.

I love the A/D30Pro, use it hours a day, so I'm really really really hoping they offer next amp to match with the A/D30Pro

F1308

Major Contributor
I bought A/D30Pro stack assuming I'd need XLR to feed an Amp or power speakers...then E/L50s were released and I learned about TRS. If I were buying new, I'd stick a fork in an E50/L50/P5 stack and call it a day.

I love the A/D30Pro, use it hours a day, so I'm really really really hoping they offer next amp to match with the A/D30Pro
More than done with your helping hand...

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A combination of average impedance magnitude (your resistor considerations) with high phase angle like capacitive -45° to -60° leads to extreme current draw from the amplifier output and also may lead to stability issues.
Some qualification may be needed here pma.

I do not think that the phase angle of the impedance will affect the current amplitude. It only affects the phase angle of the current with respect to the voltage. So for the same impedance amplitude magnitude, the current draw of a resistive and reactive (or capacitive) load will be the same in terms of RMS (and peak) amplitude.

The EPDR graph you show is not really relevant for class D amplifiers except for may be altering the (already very low) power dissipation a bit.

For other solid state topologies like class AB, it makes sense since it relates to power dissipation in the output devices.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
I too have a hunch that this is a TPA325X implementation, it is a very good performing chip even without PFFB so it has lots of potential for improving the sound quality and performance.
Maybe two TPA3251 with PFFB ?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Just wish this had a volume bypass because I hate gain matching :D

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What´s your E-mail? I have a distant relative in North East Africa that just inherited 50 million dollars, he needs YOUR help to transfer the money to his account in the Cayman Islands, of course there is a hefty premium in it for YOU...

My point, There is NO WAY that picture shows the real deal, but if you really thought so, my African friend is very interested in getting in touch with you... :)
I’m not sure why it wouldn’t.

Top Bottom