• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@pos I guess this is your dream amp for your sensitive horns! ;)

aj625

i am still struggling…
Even if we say an 8 ohm dips to 2 ohms, how does the amplifiers output impedance affect that?

If is was I*(R+r) then we have 2.1 versus 3 ohms.

What am I missing?
ok then let's start from scratch. you have speakers of 8ohm nominal impedance and amp with output impedance of say 0.1ohm. your normal listening level requires say 18w at speakers. so for 18w into 8ohm makes required voltage at speakers as 12v ( P=V^2/R) and corresponding current = 1.5A (i=V/R). for 1.5A current in the circuit, the voltage for internals of amp= 1.5x0.1=0.15V ( where 0.1ohm is output impedance of amp ). now lets find the power available for the frequencies where the load impedance drops to say 2ohm, assuming that amp is still providing overall voltage as 12+0.15=12.15V. now 12.15=i*(0.1+2) ( 0.1ohm is output impedance and 2 ohm is load impedance for frequencies for which impedance dips low ) so i here comes out to be 5.79 A. so power available in those frequencies is i^2*R=5.79^2*2=67.04w ( obviously this will be for momentarily music passages )

now we have an amp having 1.5ohm output impedance and we are still using those same speakers and listening for same 18w output at speakers ( here obviously 18w are as per average listening levels ). now voltage for internals of amp will be 1.5x1.5=2.25V (1.5A is current in circuit as calculated earlier corresponding to 18w in 8 ohm speakers and 1.5ohm is output impedance of amp ). so overall voltage by amp will be 12V+2.25V=14.25V ( you see with higher output impedance of amp the available voltage is less so you may need to crank up the volume to still get those 12v and 18w at speakers ) . now again current available for passages when load impedance dips to 2ohm, 14.25/(1.5+2)=4.07A ( 1.5ohm is output impedance and 2ohm is load impedance for passages when impedance dips low). now power available to those frequencies when impedance dips to low is 4.07^2*2=33.13w which is less than half of what when output impedance was 0.1ohm only. hope now it is clear how the higher output impedance is the culprit in not driving the difficult loads properly. higher impedance almost always thus colors the frequency response and is main reason for softer, slower and mushy sound of tube amps along with the usual harmonic distortion. :)

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Yikes! That's AU$560.
And 1500€ less than my third other option. Second was +1800€, first being +3100€.

And as for the cheaper option, it was -52.99€ but delivering 77dB SINAD and having 11.37 times the casing volume (48.3×22×9.4)/(16.6x12.9x4.1)...no deal.

Now, if you could possibly help me with those cables....Hot, cold, ground....1,2,3....hot on the tip, cold on the ring...ground on the sleeve...others make the contrary....a mess.

Or is it that they simply change the naming while keeping the tip/ring/sleeve relationship...?

And, of course, male and female XLRs should have pins at 9 and 3 on the clock reversed...while keeping the pin/hole at six connected to the ring.

Attachments

• XLR&TRS.jpg
    XLR&TRS.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
5 watts on a set of LS50s is plenty loud when adjacent to your desk. I know from experience. I took SPL readings from dead center, front row Cleveland Orchestra one year and average SPL was 60-70, with occasional peaks into the 90s. I could easily replicate that at my desk with a little Nuforce Icon 20 watt thing.

This Topping Amp at 60 watts with LS50s will get you into high 90s continuous if my math is right...which no one should listen that loud...but would suggest it will handle transient peaks, at reasonable average levels, just fine. If you get into a larger room with greater distance from speaker to ear, then probably yeah, want something more.

I just want a matching form factor to my D/A30Pro or I'd have already pulled the trigger.

Sub management would be nice though.
Your Cleveland orchestra data point is something I will remember...(I used to live in Akron and when I saw them it was in the outdoor summer concerts). I never thought of doing that....

F1308

Major Contributor
Your Cleveland orchestra data point is something I will remember...(I used to live in Akron and when I saw them it was in the outdoor summer concerts). I never thought of doing that....
A trumpet being played along the streets while the fair is at its best is also a great data retrieval opportunity.

Calleberg

Anyone already with PA5 operating manual, please, to see XLR-TRS cabling ?

Edit...
I've found it...Thanks.
Do you have reason to believe it is nonstandard(which by the way is totally plausible) or why do you ask?

Brsvde

A trumpet being played along the streets while the fair is at its best is also a great data retrieval opportunity.
I play trombone in a professional orchestra (first New York City Ballet and now Copenhagen Phil), if anyone wants data about it, let me know.

F1308

Major Contributor
Do you have reason to believe it is nonstandard or why do you ask?

I have posted previously a picture showing different naming for what is supposed a standard, as you say.
But after carefully watching for a while I just saw the naming, pretty different from cable seller above to keyboard maker below, is worthless provided the standard is kept...

Attachments

• XLR&TRS.jpg
    XLR&TRS.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Walter

I play trombone in a professional orchestra (first New York City Ballet and now Copenhagen Phil), if anyone wants data about it, let me know.
It would be interesting to have SPL values for various seating locations, both average and peak.

Heesung

I'm confused here.
I have two DACs without a preamp function (Mytec Liberty DAC, Gustard X-16).
In order to use PA5, do I need a preamp (such as Topping A90)?
Or can I just connect PA5 directly to my DAC?

Heesung

Yes, because all your DACs have balanced outputs.
Well then, what's the difference between just a DAC (Mytek Liberty or Gustard X-16) and a DAC with preamp function (Mytek Brooklyn+ or Topping E50)? I'm just curious....

Brsvde

Well then, what's the difference between just a DAC (Mytek Liberty or Gustard X-16) and a DAC with preamp function (Mytek Brooklyn+ or Topping E50)? I'm just curious....

Functionally, usually just some sort of volume control. DAC only will provide some sort of line-out that is full scale. The only adjusting of volume would be in the digital realm.

If it's a DAC and preamp combo (most of the Toppings), it'll have a volume knob and can adjust the analog output.

F1308

Major Contributor
I guess everyone wants; oh, please...

Eetu

Forum Donor
Your DACs have 'preamp functionality' since they have volume control. The PA5 needs 2.5V to reach max power and those DACs seem to output 4V or more so no problem there.

Top Bottom