• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has civility on ASR declined recently?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know this was a holiday weekend? No country is perfect. There are some things about Holland, but I will refain from bringing them up here.
Sure I know, that makes it even funnier :) And please do bring them up, I’m a big boy :cool: And it’s The Netherlands, Holland is just two provinces, I live in neither ;)

Reactions: JRS

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Sure I know, that makes it even funnier :) And please do bring them up, I’m a big boy :cool: And it’s The Netherlands, Holland is just two provinces, I live in neither ;)
And this is in a thread about civility...

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sigh

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're either a mental giant or very lucky if these COVID times haven't affected you mentally at all. Congrats -- sincerely!
You may not remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna ranting about "...if it isn't one thing, then it is another..."
Snag_19b290cb.png

We never know when fecal matter is going to transpire; so we should take all in stride.
Or, if you can relate better to WallOfVoodoo front man's (Stan Ridgway) "Bert and the Piano" song.
Then, I can offer you the lyrics "All things considered, He couldn't complain!" ....when he got splattered by the falling piano, hoisted to the 13th floor.
See that? I did not attack any body and I did not use profanities or even tell you that you got spinach stuck between your teeth!:)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Calling it sarcasm after the fact is no excuse and besides, sarcasm is not the path to civility.
Clearly I was right about having a different understanding of this. The point of sarcasm is not needing to point it out.. I’m sorry I failed :( . In the end, we can’t all be the same.. and that is only good.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Bear in mind there are a lot of non native English speakers. The understanding of what is meant by sarcasm may differ across cultures. Even those of us "divided by a common language" may think of it differently.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies if it's been mentioned already, this thread has grown a bit long to wade through.

Aside from the obvious influence of simply having dramatically more visitors, I remember thinking to myself "here it comes..." once the headphone reviews began. If there's one thing that's guaranteed to draw teen and 20-something dudes who are never wrong about anything, ever, under any circumstances, it's headphones.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All things considered, and the fact that I have been only lurking at ASR for only 9 months; my answer to the original post question of:

Has civility on ASR declined recently?​

I am thinking that the answer is either a "NO, civility at ASR has NOT declined" or that I have grown a thicker hide (2 peeps have stated that I am being 'ignored').
Waaaaah!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Civility in every hobby forum has gone, probably because so many people buy toys they can barely afford and when told, that their precious, isn’t so precious, feel mugged, they are defined by their trinkets.
Very good point!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I think everybody on this planet is a bit edgy and pissed off, for obvious reasons. Hopefully this too shall pass.

well, according to the latest South Park episode, it might take some 40 years and involve time travel.....

Thunder22

It seems to me that most people these days are easily insulted, and getting worse by the second. Hence the declining civility. Since Google tends to have better answers than I ; I will refrain and let google help.

Why is everybody so easily insulted?

About 384,000,000 results (0.68 seconds)
Search Results: #1

Often people are easily offended due to a manifestation of their own insecurities. It could also be that people who are easily offended have an abnormal desire for control and typically suffer from anxiety.Jun 7, 2021

litemotiv

Why is everybody so easily insulted?

About 384,000,000 results (0.68 seconds)
Search Results: #1

Often people are easily offended due to a manifestation of their own insecurities. It could also be that people who are easily offended have an abnormal desire for control and typically suffer from anxiety.Jun 7, 2021

That doesn't really help....

"why do people insult others?"

In general, people insult others because they are insecure and immature. Anger generally intensifies the situation.

These people - let’s call them bullies - often feel if they belittle and insult people it will make them look superior both in their own eyes and in the eyes of others.

It also can be a way to divert attention from themselves when they find their own weaknesses have been exposed.

You won’t usually find someone who is mature, confident, and accomplished insulting others. They are secure in themselves, and have no need to put others down.

JRS

Major Contributor
Reminds me of what Einstein said: "The mark of a genius is to know when to quit."
Truly, he should have abandoned the search for a unified field theory, and hung up the lab coat he never wore to enjoy his retirement in Florida drinking Corona's while surrounded by adoring beach bunnies. I'm jesting of course, but it begs the question of how to know when to quit.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...You won’t usually find someone who is mature, confident, and accomplished insulting others....
Or being easily insulted by others. Civility is the responsibility of all participants in the discourse, as a matter of keeping the discourse going, and the discourse dies when just one of them loses it.

Rick "civil engineer" Denney

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think that Einstein, his quixotic quest for a Grand Unified Theory notwithstanding, was pretty savvy & image-conscious, and thus played to his audience, including the ladies. And I say that with absolutely no malice towards the man -- but (like a lot of smart folks,and not a few scientists, sadly) most of his impact came when he was (quite) young.
einstein5.jpg

1638313608161.png

... and he kinda looks like the pre-incarnation of Nelson Pass in this image ;)
5ea7f3d4f568a13ba70a31437b665110.jpg

nelson-pass-dfa59833-cbb0-4d77-bb6a-6783e2117a2-resize-750.jpeg

Top Bottom