• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mhdt Labs Pagoda Review (R2R Tube DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 265 91.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe the poll is actually a sophisticated troll detecting test. Anyone who gives it 2 or 3 stars gets a warning. 4 stars and you are permabanned.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the poll is actually a sophisticated troll detecting test. Anyone who gives it 2 or 3 stars gets a warning. 4 stars and you are permabanned.
3 members have now voted "Great".

Reactions: trl

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the recommended burn-in time from the MHDT Labs website.
tubes.png

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

H-713

I mean... this is nonlinear enough that we're getting into the "maybe this could be a fun effect" category... though $1500 is an awful lot for something like that.

I'm going to abstain from voting on this one. I don't know what to make of it.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
R2R, check. Tube buffer, check. But was it implemented on an FPGA? Why no point-to-point wiring? Any Bybee Any Small Silver Slipstream Quantum purifiers in the circuit?

No?!!! Well, no wonder, it measured so poorly.

Even so a real achievement. Definitely merits the Golfing Panther! :p

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Amir can you do a review of the New SMSL R2R dac?
Are you referring to "SMSL VMV D3 Balanced DAC R2R 4x PCM1704 32bit 768kHz DSD512 MQA"? Then maybe @SMSL-Mandy can jump in and provide a sample unit to @amirm to have it tested.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I voted for great !

It's got EVERYTHING audiophools love.

• I/V Stage: Current Out Discrete Transistors I/V, No OPAMP, No feedback
  • Output level: 3.0v (so higher than 2V for instant likability)
  • 4 Inputs -- BNC/USB/RCA//TOSLINK otherwise they could not write BURT on the front.
  • Weight: 2kg (yeah it must be heavy)
  • Tube Buffer: single 5670/2C51 tube (just one? shocked.. why not 1 for each channel ?)
  • sh#tloads of tube distortion
  • No proper reconstruction filter
  • Lowest SINAD possible so must sound auiophool
  • dual PCM1704 ladder DAC
  • audiophool capacitors
  • special fuse (we all know that helps
  • Toroid transformer (115V - 230V)
  • discrete audiophool rectifiers
  • NO SMPS !!
  • see through front panel (we MUST see the tube glow for added joy)
  • Made in the French 'CAUTION' factory which is better than the German 'WARNING' or 'DANGER' factory
  • cheap for an audiophool product (should have cost > $ 4k

Reviews of it are great too:

It's honestly impossible to find anything to dislike about the Pagoda, or its sound. It's beautifully built, with a solid, expensive feel and appearance. Given the performance and build quality, the price is fair for what is the best DAC that I have heard to date. For those that like tweaking, the option is there to try swapping valves in the buffer stage, although to date, I have had no inclination to want to change anything about the Pagoda's sound. Over time, I fell in love with the Havana and Stockholm 2 DACs, and I have been using the Havana for years. With the Pagoda is has been more like 'love at first sight', and I can thoroughly recommend it. For me, it's put a bit of excitement back into my hi-fi life, and if you want a thrill too, the Pagoda won't disappoint.

Yeah this is great

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I voted for great !

It's got EVERYTHING audiophools love.

• I/V Stage: Current Out Discrete Transistors I/V, No OPAMP, No feedback
  • Output level: 3.0v (so higher than 2V for instant likability)
  • 4 Inputs -- BNC/USB/RCA//TOSLINK otherwise they could not write BURT on the front.
  • Weight: 2kg (yeah it must be heavy)
  • Tube Buffer: single 5670/2C51 tube (just one? shocked.. why not 1 for each channel ?)
  • sh#tloads of tube distortion
  • No proper reconstruction filter
  • Lowest SINAD possible so must sound auiophool
  • dual PCM1704 ladder DAC
  • audiophool capacitors
  • special fuse (we all know that helps
  • Toroid transformer (115V - 230V)
  • discrete audiophool rectifiers
  • NO SMPS !!
  • see through front panel (we MUST see the tube glow for added joy)
  • Made in the French 'CAUTION' factory which is better than the German 'WARNING' or 'DANGER' factory
  • cheap for an audiophool product (should have cost > $ 4k

Reviews of it are great too:

It's honestly impossible to find anything to dislike about the Pagoda, or its sound. It's beautifully built, with a solid, expensive feel and appearance. Given the performance and build quality, the price is fair for what is the best DAC that I have heard to date. For those that like tweaking, the option is there to try swapping valves in the buffer stage, although to date, I have had no inclination to want to change anything about the Pagoda's sound. Over time, I fell in love with the Havana and Stockholm 2 DACs, and I have been using the Havana for years. With the Pagoda is has been more like 'love at first sight', and I can thoroughly recommend it. For me, it's put a bit of excitement back into my hi-fi life, and if you want a thrill too, the Pagoda won't disappoint.

Yeah this is great
Self explanatory. Stockholm Syndrome and Havana Syndrome lead to Pagoda Syndrome.

Top Bottom