• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Lambda

Major Contributor
I agree. But toroidal inductors are no longer air core.
preview.jpg

preview.jpg

F1308

Major Contributor
Yes. Normal 1/4" headphone jacks. 6.35mm. Nothing special, but incredibly inexpensive, reliable and strong.

The input voltage Amir fed for the 5W@4R test would have been ~500mV. For rated output, I believe 2.5V (2500mV) is needed.

Nothing special until you need an XLR to TRS cable, adding then and at the least, around 20%-25% to the price of PA5, provided the length is restricted to 50 cm-75 cm.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I am not sure I understand what is meant by a remote internal power supply? If it is internal, how can it be remote? Maybe not in the same PCB? There are commercial amps with a separate SMPS but in the same chassis as the TPA3255, and balanced or single ended inputs in a larger chassis.
there was a coma separating the 2... the contributor is just asking for a remote to control the volume and select inputs...

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd love to see this reviewed also. Double the price, but also double the power..
VMV A2 is measured by WolfX on his chinese site - google translate will help u.

TimW

Major Contributor
Nothing special until you need XLR to TRS cable, adding then and at the least, around 20%-25% to the price of PA5, provided the length is restricted to 50 cm-75 cm.
20%-25%!? You must be getting fancy cables. Monoprice sells them for much less. I make my own cables, usually with Neutrik connectors and Mogami wire, and would expect to pay less than $20 for the materials.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Competition is welcome in the amplifier category. However, I hope Topping can recover their R&D costs and make money before their design is ripped off. Otherwise, there may be no incentive for companies to bring lower cost products to market.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nothing special until you need an XLR to TRS cable, adding then and at the least, around 20%-25% to the price of PA5, provided the length is restricted to 50 cm-75 cm.
You can get one for about $6-$8 that will work just fine. You can even get one with Mogami wire and Neutrik connectors for under $20

Edit: Oops, TimW posted the same while I was typing.

JPS64

Dear @amirm, if you don´t return this amplifier, could you please ask Topping if you could open the châssis and show us the innards?

JP

Lambda

Major Contributor
so we use 82dB as maximum safe for normal human without risk of hearing damage.
this is not how it works... but ok.
You would still need 112dB to get 82dBA at 50Hz
And with a crest factor of 12dB this would be 124dB peak need to give you distortion free music at 82dBA RMS from 50-20000Hz

F1308

Major Contributor

m8o

Forum Donor
Nice!

Point of contention however. Should the listening test be via both channels? I understand the reasoning of single speaker usage for speaker tests; won't debate or question. But for amp tests, you care about many things that are supply dependent, say power supply dropping -- dang autocorrect, I meant 'drooping' -- on dynamics when both channels are driven (i.e. as it is intend to be used at double the load of one speaker where one would expect power supply capacity to never be a problem.)

Last edited:

Frank Sol

Competition is welcome in the amplifier category. However, I hope Topping can recover their R&D costs and make money before their design is ripped off. Otherwise, there may be no incentive for companies to bring lower cost products to market.

Interesting observation...

xrk971

Audio Company
there was a coma separating the 2... the contributor is just asking for a remote to control the volume and select inputs...
Sorry. My mistake for not seeing the comma. Remote control would have made it more clear.

Top Bottom