• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolute best value for money is still no doubt AIYIMA A07. I bought one 36,96€ shipped during AliExpress deals (54,70€ total with PSU).

Agreed. I own four and use two (powered by one 480W SMPS to drive my four ambience/surround speakers -- my main L+Rs and sub are active). The PA-5 is certainly an impressive price/performance achievement, but it would be of little or no benefit in my particular system.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't test volume controls for balance in power amps. Only do that for headphone listening since it is a much more pronounced issue there. But if I get a chance, I will test the PA5.
I beg to differ and yes, please do it if you might.

Since there is a volume control, it is intended to be used. This is actually supposed to be some integrated amp, not a "power" one. There's a lot of people who happen to use this with fixed outputs.

I guess this test should be useful to most.;)

xrk971

Audio Company
Hi,

We could make a comparison by analogy ... Allo has already shared the measurements of its future TPA325X. The numbers were shared by the manufacturer (Allo's founder), so far it remains a hypothesis ....

I have already revealed some info here but I think Allo has to worry if the results are not kept.
What I can tell you is that the new Allo; to achieve the announced measures has shown fine innovations in the implementation of the TPA325X such as : new OP amps / Air core inductors / new ultra low noise PSU / Fully balanced etc

Allo TPA3255.

THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.00014
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.0097
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0091
SNR : about 117DB

I can't wait to see the final match)
The output inductors are critical to low distortion performance. One thing to do is to make sure the inductor is not running too close to its saturation current. For example, I use CoilCraft SER series flat copper wire inductors rated for 27A. Thus, the operating point is well below the saturation rating. This helps keep the distortion low.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Since there is a volume control, it is intended to be used. This is actually supposed to be some integrated amp, not a "power" one. There's a lot of people who happen to use this with fixed outputs.

Decades -- and multitudes -- of power amps have been equipped with volume controls. IMO and FWIW, it's the presence of multiple inputs and/or tone/EQ controls that define an amp as "integrated."
s-l1600[1].jpg

Lambda

Major Contributor
would also be useful to know what the gain range on this amp is
The output inductors are critical to low distortion performance. One thing to do is to make sure the inductor is not running too close to its saturation current. For example, I use CoilCraft SER series flat copper wire inductors rated for 27A. Thus, the operating point is well below the saturation rating. This helps keep the distortion low.
Wouldn't Air core inductors be ideal? maybe a little bit big... but saturation and inearety would e closes to perfect.

phoenixsong

I used to use a Topping L30 as a preamp, it was okay. The problem is that at low volumes, the channel imbalance was terrible, I hope that doesn't happen to the PA5. Too bad I gotten the Yamaha a-s301 before the review came out.
A-S301 should work well. I was very happy with the S300 that I got for under $140 :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A-S301 should work well. I was very happy with the S300 that I got for under $140

Both the A-S300 and A-S301 use the analog motorized Alps 'volume' pot to feed an A/D converter in the main micro, which digitally controls the volume. Channel balance is perfect across the entire range.

1638148663548.png

Fleuch

It sure looks like Class D amplifiers have come a very long way since the original PWM designs of yester-year.

The contents list for the Topping D10 Balanced DAC shows a pair of 6.35mm TRS to XLR adaptors are included "in the box". Looking at the Topping web pages adaptors are not included "in the box" with the E50 Multi-input DAC or the PA5 Amplifier. Cables with appropriate terminations can be purchased but the adaptors seem to only come with the D10 Balanced DAC and are not available as accessories.

Use of the TRS connectors is necessary given the space constraints imposed by the case format, but the lack of adaptors is a barrier to using the the recent balance designs with existing equipment. Where a balanced system is already in use the XLR cables usually come with too many eye-watering $$ signs attached to be discarded. A small omission for Topping, but a major barrier for some prospective customers.

The web page for the PA5 reads "E50 is the best DAC for the PA5" and a short scroll down the page "D10 Balanced could be the best USB DAC for the PA5". https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/737898.html Both the E50 and D10 Balanced have USB inputs.

So which DAC does Topping really, truly recommend to use with the PA5 ??

As the PA5 can be paired directly with most, if not all, of the Topping DACs, should it be categorised as an "integrated" amplifier, rather than a "power" amplifier?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm not assuming that. I'm stating that if there are holes/slots in the case for airflow (internal heatsink or not) then that airflow will carry dust, deposit it in the airflow path that will then after time become less effective.
Don't forget the cat hair problem...

Cat Hair - Amplifier.jpg

But there is an easy solution...
Vacuum Cleaner Brush.jpg

Last edited:

eardiggler

Sorry for my ignorance here: I want to use this amplifier with input #1 for a DAC and input #2 connected to a preamp for my CD, Phono, Reel to Reel, ect. Can I connect a single ended device to the balanced TRS input with an 'adapter' or is that a no-no?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sorry for my ignorance here: I want to use this amplifier with input #1 for a DAC and input #2 connected to a preamp for my CD, Phono, Reel to Reel, ect. Can I connect a single ended device to the balanced TRS input with an 'adapter' or is that a no-no?
which preamp? using a rca to trs adapter is not so much of a problem but the lack of output voltage may be.

spacevector

Forum Donor
Oh I do. I always ask permission whether it is members or manufacturers.
Would you object to a member posting a detailed teardown of an amp they obtained themselves?

Even if they disclose the secret sauce Topping has tried obfuscating?

Even if Topping objected?

eardiggler

which preamp? using a rca to trs adapter is not so much of a problem but the lack of output may be.
The preamplifiers I rotate around are the Apt Holman, Mac C24 and C29. They handle my analog and old media. Right now I use my DAC directly connected to my amp with an RCA switcher. The dual switchable input on the PA5 is appealing to me since I can just switch it directly on the amplifier.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Quite cool but consider a stereo Purifi Eval1 amplifier from VTV is just 1100$.
To be really cool Topping needs to have a better performance for less price, also taking into account Purifi proven reliability
Topping needs “better” performance for a “lower” price?

For $350, there is not much room for improvement. We are talking better objective performance over almost all parameters, with the notable exception of power output, than the current Purifi offerings for 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would you object to a member posting a detailed teardown of an amp they obtained themselves?

Even if they disclose the secret sauce Topping has tried obfuscating?

Even if Topping objected?
Members are free to do as they like.

brandonhall

Forum Donor
I'm afraid I don't have good enough ears and experience to make a review !
I'm trying to choose between the Sabaj A20a/SMSL AO200 and this one.

That's clear that the measurements outperformed the Sabaj and SMSL, but I'm wondering if it outperforms the sound quality, musicality and overall perception ?
If you don't have a sub, the Topping E50 and PA5 are nearly impossible to beat.

Top Bottom