• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's subjective speaker rankings

OP
A

ahl

I thought about correcting the title to "Amir's subjective speaker ranking" but it seems ok. We also are getting amir ranked here. Not needed but y not.

OP
A

ahl

I think he does a good job at pointing out inaudible measurements. The problem is hard to translate into real world as we all hear a bit differently. So an audible issue might not effect all listeners the same or at all.

If you take some time and do some of the online listening tests that are out there, you can probably get a baseline for your hearing and apply that to purchases based on measurements and features.

Sometimes it's a fine line, other times it's not. Most importantly, enjoy the hobby.
If you are in US its mostly risk free try and buy. imo its must for audio equipment.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I thought about correcting the title to "Amir's subjective speaker ranking" but it seems ok. We also are getting amir ranked here. Not needed but y not.
Would you like this thread title changed to your above quote?

strummr

I'm going to assume your original intention was to get Amir's subjective rankings of equipment tested... which is vastly different than 'subjective rankings of Amir.'

OP
A

ahl

I'm going to assume your original intention was to get Amir's subjective rankings of equipment tested... which is vastly different than 'subjective rankings of Amir.'
I read his objective rankings of speakers in review index, now I wanted subjective rankings of amir.

strummr

I read his objective rankings of speakers in review index, now I wanted subjective rankings of amir.
Not sure if you're trolling... but for my clarification, you want subjective rankings of Amir as a person? or his subjective rankings of equipment? if the former, this is the wrong category and strange forum for that discussion.

OP
A

ahl

Not sure if you're trolling... but for my clarification, you want subjective rankings of Amir as a person? or his subjective rankings of equipment? if the former, this is the wrong category and strange forum for that discussion.
I am sorry, i will delete my earlier reply if it helps you. Title has now been corrected to your satisfaction.

strummr

I am sorry, i will delete my earlier reply if it helps you. Title has now been corrected to your satisfaction.
thanks? it wasn't about my satisfaction, but rather, understanding what you were trying to gauge with the forum members.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toole mentions break-in in his book. He wonders why break-in always results in improvement and never degradation….

I don't believe in the speaker break in myths of the purely subjective folk. But if you ask: "IF speakers break in, why is it typically heard to be an improvement?" a pretty obvious answer would seem to be: Because manufacturers use broken in drivers when designing their speakers. So they are designed to sound best with "broken in drivers." So naturally they should sound best once the drivers break in.

Again, I don't believe this. But if one is entertaining such questions, even rhetorically, there are possible answers implied by accepting speaker break in.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Burn in is largely a myth - it's not the speakers burning in, it's your ears adapting to the speakers.
For most speaker technologies, I totally agree....

But, to pick an edge case, look at the Gallo CDT Tweeter - a fantastic driver, but it quite literally requires weeks of burning in before it starts to "sing".

It was one of the difficulties when these were launched and being reviewed, also quite a few buyers ended up returning them.... they just took so long to settle in, that some buyers never gave them the chance.

I personally took the easy way out, and purchased an ex-demo set....

I have never experienced any speaker burn in, with any other designs - I worked in Audio for some years in the 80's, so had experience with a range of speakers - in addition to the ones that I have owned.

(Having said that, I also remember the Magnat speakers with their metal dome tweeters, and a tendency towards overly bright high end - I wonder whether some of those were just needing more burn-in time, and never had the chance? - The soft dome tweeters, like on the Boston Acoustics speaker, never needed any burn in - on the other hand, maybe they were just a painful - to my ears - design)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
saying that drivers wont change over time is ingoring physics.
now it's very depend on the material, quality and other factors. if a driver changes significantly after a "break-in" procedure, it probably never will be broken-in, since it will always change....and then aventualy break. It would basicly have a Half-Life. I can imagine that drivers in the 70ies and 80ies behaved like this, and that the initial changes were pretty noticable.

I was working in Audio in the mid 80's - and no most speakers did no have any "burn-in" or "break-in"... (and I say most, as a precaution - I never encountered ANY that needed it, until well into this millenium, when I first encountered the Gallo CDT tweeter)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I was working in Audio in the mid 80's - and no most speakers did no have any "burn-in" or "break-in"... (and I say most, as a precaution - I never encountered ANY that needed it, until well into this millenium, when I first encountered the Gallo CDT tweeter)

well, my hyposteses originated in posts similar to yours, but on the other side.
I never believed in break-in, but tried to figure out how the suposed myth originated. maybe we have to go back even more to explain it

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
well, my hyposteses originated in posts similar to yours, but on the other side.
I never believed in break-in, but tried to figure out how the suposed myth originated. maybe we have to go back even more to explain it

This is part of the Toole quote in my previous post: The reality is that engineers seek out materials, components, and construction methods that do not change with time. Given all the speaker design, driver material and construction advances over the decades it's possible that the earliest unsophisticated speakers from the past century may have experienced audible change from break in due to unoptimized materials, design and construction. Old generalizations like this are often slow to die, especially when difficult to prove.

Modern speaker marketing departments recognized that it was a sales advantage to convince customers to believe that their speakers would improve with break in. The widespread marketing of an outdated concept would convince many customers that their auditory system acclimation to the sound of a new speaker should be interpreted as audible speaker performance improving with break in, i.e. don't return your speakers for a refund just because they don't sound great at first because they will improve with break in.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
This is part of the Toole quote in my previous post: The reality is that engineers seek out materials, components, and construction methods that do not change with time. Given all the speaker design, driver material and construction advances over the decades it's possible that the earliest unsophisticated speakers from the past century may have experienced audible change from break in due to unoptimized materials, design and construction. Old generalizations like this are often slow to die, especially when difficult to prove.

Modern speaker marketing departments recognized that it was a sales advantage to convince customers to believe that their speakers would improve with break in. The widespread marketing of an outdated concept would convince many customers that their auditory system acclimation to the sound of a new speaker should be interpreted as audible speaker performance improving with break in, i.e. don't return your speakers for a refund just because they don't sound great at first because they will improve with break in.
Modern marketing?
For Neumann or Atc, the burn in doesnt exist.

Top Bottom