• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

xrk971

Audio Company
Not only you (see below), btw would you show YOUR and not the datasheet plot? :)
Not difficult to get it at 1W, but to keep it at high power. And how about low noise? You get it with TPA? I do not think so.

View attachment 168642
My measurement at 1W is here:
737D3906-DE6A-492E-B850-37B2017DD3BF.jpeg

And at 10w it exceeds the spec by TI’s own reference design with PFFB:
57841142-2FA3-49E0-A70E-B628FE4E313F.jpeg

My noise floor is about -125dB. As I said, the TPA32XX is extremely high performing with factory suggested settings. Better layout and components and tweaking the PFFB can improve performance gains. This is for 51v PSU and PFFB as suggested by TI. My load is 10ohms as I did not have an 8ohm low noise sunny resistor handy. More on this amp is discussed at DIYA here.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
This is definitely an historical moment. There's no looking back. Amazing achievement. Bruno is probably scratching his head right now.
Replying to you, but others having had the same kind of comment could reply too.
Despite it's excellent performance, what does this amp do better than a 1ET400A?
Sincere question

daniboun

Major Contributor
Replying to you, but others having had the same kind of comment could reply too.
Despite it's excellent performance, what does this amp do better than a 1ET400A?
Sincere question

Simply... the price )
Best price for a Purifi finished amp in Europe = Audiophonics = 1400€ VS 300€ for the Topping PA5.....

I own the Purifi but if the PA5 had been released before, I would not have hesitated ...(personnaly)

F1308

Major Contributor
Simply... the price )
Best price for a Purifi finished amp in Europe = Audiophonics = 1400€ VS 300€ for the Topping PA5.....

I own the Purifi but if the PA5 had been released before, I would not have hesitated ...(personnaly)
I was about to buy the LPA-S400ET model when saw hereabouts Topping was planning a new amp, I think it was under the review of the D90SE, so I didn't.

pma

Major Contributor
Sincere question

Though I am probably not addressed, let me reply. NOTHING.
There is a sad thing with this forum. Though it might have been supposed to teach members of critical thinking and deeper knowledge, it only creates new cults, new fetish. Not very different from adoration of expensive highend products, having the same basis.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Incomparable. :pThanks for the test Amir.

As you say, perfect As it is, I would certainly use it in a desktop or secondary system

It can not be long now before Topping comes out with one that has at least twice as much power. Then damn it, there can be talk of perhaps having one in the main system.

This may be able to go in the main system if you have decent sensitive speakers. Maybe separate active subwoofers like .... hm hm .It starts itching in "order gut".:D He he.

No, it probably needs (at least for me) more power to have in the main system, but still what an amplifier!:)... Or..
maybe, bi-amp the speakers..hm hmm. There was little to think about now. Cool!
...Yes, see attached picture. Exciting!

Attachments

• shot_2021-11-28_18-57-15.png
    shot_2021-11-28_18-57-15.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
My noise floor is about -125dB.

Unimportant, you have high THD+N, in other words noise. I suppose you know that noise is integrated over the whole measuring BW and that the "noise floor" is pointless without further parameters like bin width defined. Noise either from measuring system, or from the amp. Who knows. Not the low noise as the PA5 measurement has.

F1308

Major Contributor
Ugh. I was trying to avoid spend too much money before Christmas... ;)
Maybe I'll fall in temptation!
You could go buying a couple of them while still adhering to your end-of-year-statement...

F1308

Major Contributor
There is a sad thing with this forum. Though it might have been supposed to teach members of critical thinking and deeper knowledge, it only creates new cults, new fetish. Not very different from adoration of expensive highend products, having the same basis.
Saving our hard earn money is more than enough, if you are talking on any great achievement, not just on technical data, which does not need to reach Mars, by the way.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Great little amp for sure, and the price is fair, but call me old but I see this as quite limitative no? As an integrated it is extremely lean on features, as a pure power amp the low gain really limit the flexibility. It would be hard to find a proper preamp for this that will allow enough gain if you have analog sources. For what it is it's great: a signal balanced DAC and passive speakers, on a desktop. Personally I don't see myself ever have the will to use passive speakers on a desktop setting. I find active generally are more cost efficient, even if "only" 350 bucks is spent on amplification.
It is my feeling that some will look at this SINAD and automatically think it's the greatest amp ever, will buy it and it will not fulfill their need. It really only work for 4V outputs DACS, but then you have two input. What can you possibly use the second one for? it's really a product for the initiated. Me personally I have no needs for such a thing but if it is your use case it sure is performing.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you Amir for this complete review with the measurements. Too bad I bought the Sabaj A20a and moreover I have several amplifiers. There is a great temptation to want to buy it. I'll wait a bit. I sincerely hope its not TPA32XX chips even with PFFB because I don't like the sound of TPA, I have 3 TPA3255 and it is not my cup of tea. it is possible that changes my mind because I have never heard a TPA32XX with PFFB and well designed. Too bad also for Allo who has been working on their TPA for ages and who will probably cost more than this Topping PA5. Also I will wait for the "subjective impressions" of Daniboun who has just ordered it.

D700

I love companies that move the needle. Looking forward to next step up in power. Might get my tiny stack for the office after all.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what does this amp do better than a 1ET400A?
Certainly not power (quite an interesting thing for an amplifier. Just sayin').
Certainly not this (meh) THD vs Frequency.

Dejà vu... Yet, this the very first time, after three (full) years of membership, that I would 100% agree.:(

At this point, Amir could almost post only SINAD charts and call his reviews done. I have the feeling that only very few of us are still trying to have a bigger picture over the complete data.

Pity. :facepalm:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
What are you talking about,I eat $349 in a week and schitt it out the same week,I and many other here can make our own decisions.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2-pin plug into the amp isn't compliant with IEC 60320 standard.
That standard is for 250VAC mains connector. The 2-pin connector is for low voltage DC, hence outside that standard. I’m surprised that as a person who know your standards you missed that crucial difference.

Top Bottom