• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K712 Pro Review (Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it because I haven't heard anything significantly better?

Could be, could also be you prefer a dip in the 'presence' area. Many people do as it takes the 'edge' out of popular recordings.

Because of a lack of reference?

Could be, in that case be happy as you can put your money to other things instead of the expensive and never ending search for something 'better' because this or that person stating they are better than ...

Is it because my ears are bad?

Unlikely, You will have some treble roll off but there isn't much musical info above 15kHz anyway. Your brain is used to it. That's why we humans don't 'miss' upper treble unless it becomes really bad over 70 years or your ear is suddenly blocked.

Just enjoy the K712 (or K7XX) many people do.

When you plan to mix on those it becomes another matter.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An honest question. I bought a pair of K712 Pro's fairly recently. And I thought, and actually still think, they're okay. I listen on them regularly, and always have a good time. For the record: I don't do any EQ'ing (yet).

Is it because I haven't heard anything significantly better? Because of a lack of reference? Is it because my ears are bad? Or (again) are you guys just focusing on the measurements, which show things 'normal' people won't hear. Let alone someone over 50. ;-)

It's probably because you like the sound, an odd concept I know In all seriousness if you like them then just enjoy them as that's all that matters and if you go down the rabbit hole it's quite easy to end up obsessing over gear and losing the point of it all. There's a diminishing return effect in audio as in most things and the K7xx series are in the area of diminishing returns in my opinion. My only criticism of this family is the elastic band arrangement.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I actually quite liked the the K712 Pro, the fenestrated sheepskin pads I bought from China made them very comfortable to wear. They were no competition for my HD660s though.
I also thought that if I have to replace the pads, I would try sheepskin.
Is there an objective way to know when the pads are too old?

Originally I bought K712 for its comfort and subjective listening experience. I didn't use EQ at the time, but now that I have the option of EQ, it makes the sound clearer and less muffled.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there an objective way to know when the pads are too old?

Well, you can measure the frequency response of different pads like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-sennheiser-pads-measured.24845/

BTW - There was nothing wrong with my original K712Pro pads. I just wanted to play around with some different pads to see how they felt and sounded. I bought both plain and fenetrastrated sheepskin pads from AliExpress and prefered the fenestrated pads on both counts.

These are the ones I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000349759971.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.a4fc52c0JvTeF7

Luke Lemke

The competition is strong in the area; unless you really want this particular AKG, there are better headphones at same/similar prices... IMO, DCA, Sennheiser, HiFiMan comes to mind.
Peace
I agree, I think these would be a good addition to a headphone collection but not daily drivers...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'll buy one from ebay and send it to Amir for a review. Should I send him an old austrian made k701 or a new chinese made version?
Send a Chinese K702. K702 are a bit better value over here in the UK than the K701 and offer the bonus of removable headphone cable. Send the new Chinese, because it's more relevant in terms of today's production. There's not supposed to be a difference, but better to base it off the modern manufacturing.

EDIT: make sure it has genuine pads on it & not somekind of aftermarket pad.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Send a Chinese K702. K702 are a bit better value over here in the UK than the K701 and offer the bonus of removable headphone cable. Send the new Chinese, because it's more relevant in terms of today's production. There's not supposed to be a difference, but better to base it off the modern manufacturing.
I'd agree. Better to test the available version with pads that come today in decent condition.

Luke Lemke

Thanks, I'll start looking for a used one. How do I send these to Amir? I found a link somewhere but it didn't work...

PuX

Chinese version is more relevant, true.
but Austrian version would also be interesting, since the difference between them is a bit of a myth.

Pillars

At some point I was considering these to replace the 701, which clearly doesn't make any sense. As a read more headphone reviews here (edit: and on @solderdude's site) I get more convinced there is not point on buying based on amateur or pro reviews without measurements.

I own both, the K712 has much better bass presence and is clearer despite the 702 seeming to have more air. I enjoy my K712, but I'll need to dabble with some EQ.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own both, the K712 has much better bass presence and is clearer despite the 702 seeming to have more air. I enjoy my K712, but I'll need to dabble with some EQ.
With all respect, to me that sounds like the reviews I don't trust, because the measurements I see are almost identical, and I would trust them rather than my own ears. I mean, to me all these 7xx headphones are some basic EQ away from each other, which makes them identical to me.

Pillars

With all respect, to me that sounds like the reviews I don't trust, because the measurements I see are almost identical, and I would trust them rather than my own ears. I mean, to me all these 7xx headphones are some basic EQ away from each other, which makes them identical to me.
Understandable, but after four years with the 702 & 1 with the 712 there could be some variables there out of my control. I'll trust my own ears after that many years despite the small sample size I've got. Buy all those headphones new and I'm sure they'll group tightly.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Not sure what measurements you've seen. Oratory's measured significantly audible differences in their responses:

Harman 2018-AKG K702-AKG K712-AKG K7XX.png

lewdish

I think it's a shame that AKG didn't continue on with the 701 and didn't make that the flagship of the line. Tonally I found that to be the most satisfying of the bunch. Really could have gone for a revision move. Since AKG has separated now from the engineers and the Samsung AKG division, I'm curious how on point the Austrian Audio products are. They make a great deal about how low distortion their products are.

vhild§

With all respect, to me that sounds like the reviews I don't trust, because the measurements I see are almost identical, and I would trust them rather than my own ears. I mean, to me all these 7xx headphones are some basic EQ away from each other, which makes them identical
I certainly find 712 a lot bassier than 702.

Spcysls

K702 are a good headphone in potential, but AKG are a bit loose with their quality control on this headphone so unit to unit variation & channel matching are a bit wild, see this post:
I might provide the caveat that those two units pictured are a new K702 (unit#2) and an old K702 (unit#1) with genuine new pads installed on unit #1 so you'd expect them to be similar, but the new K702 has thinner pads than the newly bought genuine pads from Thomann website, so I personally conclude that the new K702's have slightly different pads (a little thinner and a little firmer) - but this is just my 2 units - I own both of those 2 units of K702. So yes, K702 has a lot of potential when EQ'd accurately to Harman, but quality control in terms of channel matching is a bit ropey by looks of it, also I'd say it's possible the new K702's are different to previous just by pads (anecdotal via myself). I do prefer the K702 with the deeper pads as the soundstage for me is noticeably better, there's a bit more forward presentation vs in level with your head with the flatter shallower pads - which transfers to better gaming with the deeper pads & better soundstage for music listening. On the plus side I find Oratory's EQ sounds better with the newer K702 so my loose prediction is that the newer K702's with shallower pads (can I say that, only basing that on my 2 units) have worse soundstage, but probably ultimately sound better with the Oratory EQ that is currently available.

I would like to see Amir review a K702 though, for sure!

EDIT: Unit #1 old K702 is Chinese & from year 2015 with deeper pads, and Unit #2 with shallower pads is K702 Chinese from 1st January year 2021. This is loose anecdotal from me, Thomann bought genuine AKG K702 pads are deeper than current K702 pads being included on current units - I also think the Thomann pads are indeed genuine as I remember the depth being similar on my old K702, the new K702 I can feel my ears contacting the driver as the pads are shallower whereas this was never the case with my old K702 or indeed with the genuine pads installed from Thomann.....leads me to think AKG have changed the pad specs in the last year or so.
I believe I heard that the later models are not as good and that the ones made in Austria are of better quality as well.

Top Bottom