• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System wide parametric equalizer for Raspberry Pi - is there such a thing?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Did anyone successfully use CamillaDSP on Rpi4 as a system wide EQ? If so I would love to see an example of a config file with some simple filter. I have trouble comprehending how pulse audio interacts with alsa on rpi4 (it's some kind of default output now), and what and how to capture and process and then output by CamillaDSP itself.
Have a look at the current Moode image which includes CamillaDSP. I haven't checked whether or not they're using PulseAudio.

Honken

I find dsp to be an simple solution to implement systemwide EQ as it is available as an LADSPA plugin. The repo includes instructions on how to implement it with bare ALSA as well as Pulse.

OP
J

jazzendapus

I find dsp to be an simple solution to implement systemwide EQ as it is available as an LADSPA plugin. The repo includes instructions on how to implement it with bare ALSA as well as Pulse.

That's a bingo!
Got it working by following this guide via Pulse: https://github.com/bmc0/dsp/wiki/System-Wide-DSP-Guide

Very conveniently Kodi sees the dsp-ed PulseAudio output as separate:
40MK1Rm.jpg

So thanks a lot Honken, now I can finally try to resume my attempt to turn Rpi4 into my main media server/player replacing the bulky Windows PC.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Got to be interested in the Raspberry Pi as a streamer. Energy consumption is the main driver... A Raspberry Pi as a streamer + Khadas Tone Board + Atom is a ultra-high performance low energy consumption combo...
I need EQ , a simple way to install something similar to APO + PEACE combination to EQ my headphones.

I use currently a PC to do streaming and EQ and as Spotify endpoint... My consume when working hard 2 watts of power the Atom about 3 ... the PC? 55 ... just doing not much ... You can see the impetus. I am mostly on solar and batteries ..

Last edited:

bogart

Forum Donor
Hi

Got to interested in the Raspberry Pi as a streamer. Energy consumption is the main driver... A Raspberry Pi as a streamer + Khadas Tone Board + Atom is a ultr-high performance low energy consumption combo...
I need EQ , a simple way to install something similar to APO + PEACE combination to EQ my headphones.

I use currently a PC to do streaming and EQ and as Spotify endpoint... My consume when working hard 2 watts of power the Atom about 3 ... the PC? 55 ... just doing not much ... You can see the impetus. I am mostly on solar and batteries ..
I think you could use Volumio (for their Spotify endpoint) and their Camilladsp plugin for all your EQ needs. I have been very satisfied with MoOde audio and Camilla, but I don’t think they offer the Spotify connect option that Volumio does.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you could use Volumio (for their Spotify endpoint) and their Camilladsp plugin for all your EQ needs. I have been very satisfied with MoOde audio and Camilla, but I don’t think they offer the Spotify connect option that Volumio does.
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Repeating that my impetus for a Raspberry Pi-streamer based system was power consumption. The Raspberry Pi/Khadas Tone Board/JDS Atom Lab is for my main headphones system. I used, previously, a laptop then a Lenovo Tiny SFF PC. Power conception of the entire gig was 25 watts total. Under the same conditions, I measured the Pi with DAC and Atom and it drew 4 watts!
I have installed Volumio and connected it to my Spotify account...now I need EQ, imperative. I am out of my elements when it comes to installing things on Linux or similar stuff. I need something similar to EQ APO or somethin in which I can enter Amir, Crinnacle or Oratory EQ settings. I have heard great tings about Camilladsp but don't know how o install it on Volumio.. Any primer? link to installation? Anything?
Thanks in advance

ezublab

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Repeating that my impetus for a Raspberry Pi-streamer based system was power consumption. The Raspberry Pi/Khadas Tone Board/JDS Atom Lab is for my main headphones system. I used, previously, a laptop then a Lenovo Tiny SFF PC. Power conception of the entire gig was 25 watts total. Under the same conditions, I measured the Pi with DAC and Atom and it drew 4 watts!
I have installed Volumio and connected it to my Spotify account...now I need EQ, imperative. I am out of my elements when it comes to installing things on Linux or similar stuff. I need something similar to EQ APO or somethin in which I can enter Amir, Crinnacle or Oratory EQ settings. I have heard great tings about Camilladsp but don't know how o install it on Volumio.. Any primer? link to installation? Anything?
Thanks in advance
please install volumio3 RC : https://community.volumio.org/t/volumio-3-rc1-open-beta-testing/50284
and install the plugin 'FusionDsp' from its plugin store. More details : https://community.volumio.org/t/fusiondsp-for-volumio3-beta/50474

bogart

Forum Donor
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Thanks in advance
I apologize for not providing better specific information, I appreciate @ezublab jumping in to give the good stuff!

I had misunderstood that they were enabling CamillaDSP, vs building their FusionDSP plug-in based on it. That certainly clears things up a lot.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
please install volumio3 RC : https://community.volumio.org/t/volumio-3-rc1-open-beta-testing/50284
and install the plugin 'FusionDsp' from its plugin store. More details : https://community.volumio.org/t/fusiondsp-for-volumio3-beta/50474
@ezublab

Thanks so very much.
Done and it just worked .. I was specially impressed with the AutoEQ implementation: It works flawlessly. You just click and it is done.. Would hve some king of confirmation that the headphones settings are in effect but ... It is a beta, can't ask for everything.
Enjoying music on the new low-cost, low-consumption, High SINAD (hey! :D). Will try to install the ROON endpoint and perhaps the Airplay Plug-in.

Thanks again!

matts19

With system-wide PEQ in place, would I be able to play offline FLAC file with any music player with PEQ setting applied ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
With system-wide PEQ in place, would I be able to play offline FLAC file with any music player with PEQ setting applied ?
Yes. That's pretty much the definition of system-wide. You could have some specific player that has some compatibility issue, but in general they should work.

Top Bottom